PDA

View Full Version : Purring

slleipnir
05-12-2004, 08:19 PM
I know this is the stupidest question ever...but I was wondering about purring. Do they purr when they're happy? Or does it not necessarily mean that? Kiba purrs all the time if you're patting her or if she seems content. Smitten never purrs...does that mean anything? Sorry for the stupid question XD

guster girl
05-12-2004, 08:40 PM
I've heard it's a lot like a dog's tail wagging....it's a common misconception that it means they're happy. I am not sure what exactly purring means, but, I know my cat, Dusty, would purr when he was NOT happy as well as when he was. Maybe just one of life's mysteries..... :)

catcrazylady
05-12-2004, 08:49 PM
I have heard that cats purr when they are happy and they also purr when they are in a great deal of pain. Nobody knows why. some of my cats purr very quickly and some hardly purr at all. I guess they are all different.
It is not a stupid question. No question about an animal on PT is stupid and we all gladly answer as best we can. I'm sure if you have read some of the posts we come up with then you will realize that most everything has been asked here!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

Laura's Babies
05-12-2004, 09:43 PM
It has been my experience (such as it is), that some cats purr at the drop of a hat and others just do not purr, no matter what! BUT, us humans, expect them to purr when we are loving on them. I did have one purr when he was in a lot of pain and that did puzzel me a lot..

Fallon
05-12-2004, 09:50 PM
Purring is part of every cat's repertoire of social communication, apparently created by the movement of air in spasms through contractions of the diaphragm. Interestingly, purring is sometimes heard in cats who are severely ill or anxious, perhaps as a self-comforting vocalization. But, more typically, it is a sign of contentment, first heard in kittens as they suckle milk from their mother.

In adults, purring is heard in domesticated cats when they are petted, and in feral cats during sexual or other social contexts. Like submissive posturing among dogs, purring may be a signal of appeasement to other cats or to people, a way to communicate that the purring cat need not be threatened.

As with many behaviors in dogs and cats, the original presumed purpose of the behavior may not be directly relevant in a pet home. But we do believe that, when our healthy pet cats purr, they are happy and at peace.

I got this from.. http://www.coolquiz.com/trivia/explain/docs/cats.asp

slleipnir
05-12-2004, 10:04 PM
Wow, that's interesting Fallon. Thanks :) I've always wondering about it. The only time I've ever heard Kiba purr is when she's being patted and resting

Fallon
05-12-2004, 10:14 PM
:)

lisalee
05-12-2004, 10:37 PM
I don't have any experience with cats purring when in pain, I believe it is possible though. Sash purrs all the time, I know for sure it's because he's very happy and contented.:) It's such a soothing sound.

Lisa & Sash

neko1
05-13-2004, 05:52 AM
My kitties tend to purr when they are feeling any emotion strongly, whether it be contentment or scared.

catlady1945
05-13-2004, 06:48 AM
They purr when stressed. My Louis never stops at the vet's.

catmandu
05-13-2004, 09:19 AM
Purring starts , when they are kittens , letting thier Meowmie , know that they are well , and are safe! all My Cats PURRR , Moose The Magnificents , is the LOUDEST!!! PPPPPPPPPPPUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR RR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!