PDA

View Full Version : *cough cough* Sick Computer

dukedogsmom
05-12-2004, 11:02 AM
I won't be on a lot or get to put up my pics until my two brothers can figure out what's wrong with my computer. It's very sick. If anyone knows about this error, I'd like to hear from them. I did a little research on my mom's computer yesterday. Could be several things. Kernal Inpage Data Error and also a boot disc error. It won't reboot correctly. Probably some really bad virus. Wouldn't even let me run my anitvirus program. I'm depressed.

ComputerGuy
05-12-2004, 10:36 PM
well if you are coming back to palm harbor anytime soon bring it along. I am sure i can fix it. I deal with viruses all day. The one you have i beleive is called the "sasser" virus. www.symantec.com has a removal tool for it. Keep in mind those tools dont always work.

Karen
05-12-2004, 10:37 PM
Paul recommends that you reinstall your system - do you, or you brothers, know how to do that?

(I'm a Mac person, but Paul is multi-platform capable!)

dukedogsmom
05-13-2004, 06:07 AM
Yep, my brother said it's that sasser thing. He was doing good on it last night then couldn't get it to boot up again. He didn't have all the things he needed ref programs. My other brother from Maryland is coming down for a visit and hopefully, between the two, I will have my computer up and running. I'm at work now. My brother said my hard drive could be going bad and I really hope that's not it because there's lots of pics on there I would hate to lose. For some reason, Nero wouldn't let me do a backup on cds. Something about it not being compatible with Windows XP, I believe.
Karen: I envy all these smart computer people! I would love to know more about them.

EssTer
05-13-2004, 06:22 AM
I;m sorry, that your computer is sick and I really hope you'll be back very soon and your computer will be Ok :)

ComputerGuy
05-13-2004, 08:48 AM
if you need a new HD let me know. I have a bunch laying around. Also i have a machine at my office that will remove files from a broken hard drive. So if you cant get it going let me know and maybe we can save those pictures.

dukedogsmom
05-13-2004, 08:49 AM
That's great. Thanks a lot! And, when I get mine up and running again, I'd be happy to make you some sort of signature, if you would like.

DJFyrewolf36
05-13-2004, 10:37 AM
I hope your computer gets better! I hate when comps decide to be annoying...

Computerguy: What machine do you use to recover data? I always like new gizmos! PM me if you could so we don't hijack the thread ;)

dukedogsmom
05-13-2004, 11:33 PM
Well, the old hard drive appears to be dying. It's not even 2 years old yet! I'm on my own computer with a very small hard drive. It doesn't feel like me because everything that defines me is in the other one. My brother is going to try to get at least all my pics off of it for me. He said if we can find the same hard drive, we can just use the ghost program to transfer it over. I hope we can. I'll be going to Best Buy tomorrow, that's for sure.

dukedogsmom
05-19-2004, 10:13 PM
:( Well, I've got a computer again. And it's got literally nothing on it. I'm so depressed. My brother got what pics he could off my old one before he bought the new hard drive. I haven't even gotten myself to look yet. I had a lot of Kay's on here and now they're gone. I lost a lot of things I had saved from here, too. And, I had written some poems and stories and now they're gone too. I feel like part of me is gone. My brother did all he could do and he worked almost all day on it today so I'm thankful for that. My other brother had worked on it a little before the out of town one got here. I'm very lucky to have them in the family. Otherwise, no telling how much it would cost to have had all this work done :(

Kfamr
05-19-2004, 10:29 PM
Oh no. :( I just got our PM.

I'm not finished when organzing my photos, but when I am I will burn you a CD with Duke's folder on it (He has his own picture older on my computer. :P ) I still have the pictures from when we first met you guys.
I'm going to work on organzing my pictures some more right now... I really need to get it done and burn them on CD's.

I wonder if my brother would know anything about retrieving the pictures and stuff.