PDA

View Full Version : Are vets bad?

Fallon
05-12-2004, 04:09 AM
I've had several bad experiences with vets. I've always been a little judgemental around them because they have to work with my pets and I never think they seem good enough but anyways.. sometimes I think they don't care about the animals they work with at all. I think they are just in it for the money-not all of them, but most of them. This really hurts because these are the people who take care of our pets! Several reasons why I don't trust or like them very much include:

Sadly, my grandma's dog Meisha died a few years ago, and shortly after going to the vet too! Once she died some people did a little testing and stuff to see what went wrong and they said that she had died of an phnemonia and that her vet should've been able to recognize the signs and help treat her. The vet had said nothing at all about a phnemonia.. that's a pretty serious sickness too and a cetified vet should've been able to notice it! It's so sad that this poor beloved dog had to die because of some cruel vet that just wanted to get the visit over with and send her out. *sigh*

another reason..

My dog Max was hit by a car about 5 years ago when he was a puppy because someone left our gate open- a dumb friend did. We had spent around 2000 dollars on helping him get better. One of his legs was badly injured and it was supposed to be repaired but when they were doing the surgery his bone practically crumbled. Now the choices they gave us were for him to be put to sleep or for the leg to be amputated.. so we chose to amuputate his leg. He had many staples and they WERE ALL supposed to be removed, but we found more in him and had to remove them ourselves after we thought they had took them all out. They are so careless...by the way Max gets around GREAT with a missing leg.. he acts just like any other dog and runs around-fast too lol.

I'm sorry if I wrote a lot but I just wanted to get my point across and I want to know what you guys think and want to know if you have had any bad experiences..?

DJFyrewolf36
05-12-2004, 09:02 AM
Good vets are hard to find, I agree...especially ones that can treat birds. When my Conure, Pablo *RIP little buddy* got into an accedent I could only find ONE vet in this area that would even look at him! I can't help but feel that in the time it took me to phone all those vets he probibly could have been saved. :(

aly
05-12-2004, 09:53 AM
In my opinion there are only a few terrible vets, tons of mediocre vets, and a handful of really really good vets. When I got my bunny, I researched vets and found an excellent one who treated rabbits. That way if anything went wrong, I wouldn't have to do vet research in an emergency. I am constantly talking to my friends about their vets to try to keep up and make sure I'm going to the best vet who I feel most comfortable with in town. I've been to several mediocre vets, but the one I have now I truly trust and am completely happy with. You just really have to do your vet hunting before tragedies happen so your animal can get the best care possible.

luckies4me
05-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Having worked in several vet clinics with lots of different vets, I will tell you now, almost all do not care diddly squat about the animals they are treating, which is very sad. In all the clinics I have worked at I have known but ONE who I thought had a true compassion for the animals in her care. You can't imagine the things I have seen these "vets" do and say about our beloved pets, as well as other veterinary staff. If you could hear all the things they say behind these owners backs it would alarm you to no end! What saddest is that most of these vets know NOTHING about everyday care, all they know is the medical aspect of it. Ya, sure they can suture up a few cuts, draw blood, take a few nails out of a stomach, but when it comes to things such as nutrition, drug effects and everyday living needs such as grooming etc. they know aboslutely nothing. I know more about rats than a lot of vets. Heck, TONS of them don't even know what SDA, Sendai is, and haven't even heard of Myco. Almost all recommend pine and cedar bedding and crappy food and mention nothing of keeping rats happy and healthy such as mentioning quarantine etc. They constantly prescribe medications that put rat's lives in jeopardy, for instance prescribing Baytril to very young animals or giving Terramycin during pregnancy etc.

Heck the first vet I worked for was more interested in groping me in front of clients (I was 19, he was 40 something) than bothering to make sure his cat on the operating table was under full anesthesia before cutting into the poor things head. Personally I dislike many vets and do not have much respect for them, which is why I want to be a vet eventually. I haven't decided as I have had so many bad experiences working with them and with their treatment of animals I am unsure whether or not I want to have that title. Very sad.

minkyboodle
05-12-2004, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I haven't decided as I have had so many bad experiences working with them and with their treatment of animals I am unsure whether or not I want to have that title. Very sad.

Well, you should do what you really want to do, since there are so many bad vets out there who don't really care, if you really care and think you could make a difference, we always need GOOD vets out there who really care.

Don't let a bunch of bad ones keep you from becoming what you want. Especially if you will be a good one :)

luckies4me
05-12-2004, 01:01 PM
minkyboodle, I LOVE your skunk! Is he a chocolate? I used to have a chocolate awhile back and he was the sweetest little guy I have ever had. :D Do you have any more pictures?

Fallon
05-12-2004, 03:09 PM
luckies4me what is good bedding and types of food for hamsters/ rats..?

guster girl
05-12-2004, 09:22 PM
I have a wonderful vet that really cares about the pets she helps. She knows all about every day care, and, nutrition, and, is willing to learn new things about the care of pets. She practices western medicine along with holistic medicine. She's awesome! I've been really fortunate to have found her! Keep looking, you'll find a good one! :) And, if you want to be a vet, you definitely should be one! :)

Twisterdog
05-12-2004, 11:05 PM
There are good vets and bad vets. Just like there are good doctors and bad doctors, good accountants and bad accountants, good chefs and bad chefs.

I have known a LOT of vets that cared plenty about the animals they treat. I've known some that didn't care, too.

The veterinarian profession is no different than any other profession - some good, some fair, some bad.

wolf_Q
05-12-2004, 11:29 PM
I agree with others that said there's good, bad, and mediocre vets as there is with any profession.

There is one vet that I went to that I won't go back to again. Reggie's ear was bothering him so my dad took him in. Reggie is not a dog that bites, he may struggle a bit but he's not going to bite...the vet didn't hardle even try to look in his ear, just said he couldn't do it unless he put him out. So he put him under and "looked in his ear." When we picked him up his ear was not clean and he didn't even pull the hair out! (This was before I worked at a grooming salon, didn't realize that needed to be done...but I remember that he didn't do it) He gave us some normal ear cleaner and charged us this huge bill because of the anethesia. :rolleyes:

I took Nebo to this same vet for his vaccinations. I had all of them and the vet specifically TOLD me when I had the rabies done that this was the last set...that I didn't have to get any more for another year. I decided to go to a different vet for the neuter surgery. They required that he had his vaccinations so they called the previous vet to check. He said he didn't have record of giving Nebo any shots! I had to bring in the paper that the stupid vet signed as proof.

I quite like the vet I'm going to now. She's very friendly, nice to Nebo, and explains procedures and prices very well before doing them. My only complaints are that they act like Science Diet is the best and only dog food on the earth :rolleyes: and they try to talk me into getting the Proheart 6 injection every time I go in to get the heartworm chewables. I deny them every time but they keep on trying!

CathyBogart
05-13-2004, 12:59 AM
Research research research...I love Adobe Animal Hospital...it's about 1/2 hour away from me but it's WORTH IT!