PDA

View Full Version : Hissy Cat - hates everyone today????

syl
10-06-2001, 09:11 PM
I have three feline friends. One of which is a boy named Nikki! From time to time - about every 3 months or so I look after my daughters dogs and cat - named Fred. From the first time Fred came here my male Nikki hasn't liked him. At the first he hissed from a distance and then ran away - Fred is very laid back and paid no attention to this behaviour. Over time Nikki has become braver and now walks up to Fred and hisses right in his face. Fred says "Whatever" and walks away. Today, however, Nikki has started hissing at everyone - even his own family members - our other two felines and get this - the two canine members! All day today he has walked around from one to the other and given them big hisses! I have picked him up several times and we've had a little chat - to which I must say he paid good attention - but didn't change his behaviour! What could be the problem. He hasn't instigated a fight - he's just being a verbal "bully"! Any suggestions!!!

tuxluvr
10-06-2001, 11:36 PM
Some kitties just don't deal well with change. My vet told me sometimes it's a change in their routine, a change in their health (such as going into their first heat). Cats are very attuned to smells, apparently even more so than dogs based on what I've read - even a tiny change can set them off. It sounds like your kitty feels its territory is being usurped.....tom cats are very territorial - in their wild state, they would fight for the right to be the top tom.

Does this change once Fred goes away?

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]

syl
10-07-2001, 12:07 AM
This behaviour only occurs when Fred is here - no other time. But it is interesting that Nikki now gets closer to Fred and is now hissing at everybody. Before he would hiss at a distance and then run away but not anymore!