PDA

View Full Version : I can't take it anymore. My rats are all dying on me.

Desert Arabian
05-10-2004, 03:18 PM
I can't take it anymore. I want it all to end now. I am so sick and tired of all this. Why do my kids have to go thorough this!? What did they ever do to get sick and suffer like this!? Oscar, Chloe, Daisy, and Fred are seriously sick. Daisy has to be put to sleep ASAP to end the extreme suffering she is currently going thorough. Oscar has been moderately ill for about a month now. Chloe has a large mammary tumor which has to be removed, and now it's Fred. I think a deadly virus is sweeping thorough my mischief (name for group of rats) and there is nothing I can do about it. THERE IS NOTHING I CAN DO ABOUT IT! Those are the most terrible words to ever come out of my mouth- my rats are sick and dying and there is nothing I can do about it. Yes, medicine will help a little bit, but it won't cure them.

Here's the specifics:

Oscar is extremely skinny and rather weak, yet he has been hanging in their pretty strong. His breathing is labored and he heaves a lot.

Daisy is in the worst condition. You can read about it here: http://www.petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?threadid=48990 She is even worse now today, she is in the cage completely upside down squirming around like a fish on land. She can't eat or drink.

Chloe has a mammary tumor about the size of a golf ball in her arm pit which is growing like a weed. We were planning to take her in to get it removed, until all of this popped up. Besides the tumor, she appears to be healthy.

Now Fred is getting sick. He is extremely lethargic, has no interest in me or his cage mates, lays in the same spot all day with squinted eyes. I don't think he's eating and drinking much either. Fred will become sick like Oscar and Daisy.

Violette also has health problems, nothing TOO serious, she keeps getting facial abscesses now and then.

Phoebe & Suzie are the only 100% healthy rats I have right now- they have NEVER been sick! *knocks on wood* I am terrified of loosing Phoebe and Suzie, and I definitely don't want to see them sick. They are so wild, young, and spunky, they don't deserve to go through this. Of course the others don't, but Sue and Feebee especially. Phoebe is less than a year old for God's sake.

I am so raging pi$$ed and sad at the same time. I can't put up with it anymore. When mom gets home in an hour or so, we have to call the vet for Daisy- and I am going to bring Fred, Chloe, and Oscar with us too.

My only question is WHY!?!?!

I really need for people to pray for my kids, please, they are all I have right now. They mean so much to me. Seeing my kids in this condition is breathing my heart into 1 trillion pieces. I wish I could suffer for them.

aly
05-10-2004, 03:23 PM
Laura,

I am so sorry. My heart is breaking for you :( Your ratties will definately be in my prayers.

Have you guys used any new cleaning products or has anything changed recently? Maybe there is something in the house toxic to rats? I don't know much about rats, but just wanted to bring that up. I know its hard to think of everything when you're so upset about your babies being sick.

I hope the vet can give you some insight on this tragedy.

catland
05-10-2004, 04:14 PM
I don't know anything either when it comes to the care of rats, but I just wanted to say that I'm sorry your pets are suffering and that you are suffering.:(

The one thing you can do is just be there for them so that they know that they are not alone.

Prayers on the way for you and your mischief.

Uabassoon
05-10-2004, 04:28 PM
I'm so sorry to hear about all of your ratties being sick :( I'll pray that your mischief starts to get better soon.

bluekat
05-10-2004, 04:39 PM
Oh Laura I am so sorry to hear that:( {{{hugs}}} I will definately be praying that they all get better soon.

Miss Meow
05-10-2004, 04:42 PM
I'm so sorry, Laura {{{hugs}}}.

Sending lots of positive thoughts to your ratties. I don't know what could be causing this, but I truly hope things get better soon.

trayi52
05-10-2004, 04:58 PM
I am so sorry to hear this, I really feel for you, and wish and pray that you didn't have to go through this. It just feels so awful to feel so helpless, I wish there was more I could do for you.

All I can do is send you my best wishes, and I will keep you and the sweet little Mischiefs in my prayers. {{{{Hugs}}}}

Willie

Desert Arabian
05-10-2004, 05:00 PM
We made a vet appointment for 9:30 tomorrow morning. Daisy will be PTS and the rest will be checked to see what we can/cannot do for them.

I have Violette, Suzie, and Phoebe down in the basement- it's the best I can do to keep them away from the sick ones. I am praying so hard that they are able to pull through. Hopefully, since they are such a young age, they can fight it off.

There is no way I can prepair myself to say good-bye to 7 rats at once.

:( :(

Thanks everyone for your good vibes, I appreciate it a lot. :)

KYS
05-10-2004, 06:04 PM
I am so sorry. I hope your vet can find out why??
Sending lots of prayers your way.

Hugs Karen

Steffi N
05-10-2004, 06:16 PM
Laura, I am sorry that your babies are suffering so. {{HUGS}}
I hope the vet can help. Sending hopeful thoughts your way.

RobiLee
05-10-2004, 06:19 PM
I am so sorry. You will all be in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs for you....Robin

Karen
05-10-2004, 06:30 PM
You and your ratties are in my prayers.

tatsxxx11
05-10-2004, 06:38 PM
Oh Laura, I'm so, so saddned to hear this. I can only imagine the incredible pain your are feeling, having so many beloved furbabies ill:( Poor, sweet, Daisy:( Please, try to be strong for her. I know how difficult tomorrow will be. I'm sending you all the strength and support I can muster and will be praying for miracles for Oscar, Chloe, Fred and Violet and for continued good health for Phoebe and Suzie. {{{HUGS}}} to you Laura. Love, Sandra

Cookiebaker
05-10-2004, 06:41 PM
:( :( :(

Laura, I am so sorry for the pain that you are going through right now. I can't even begin to imagine. We're keeping you and your beloved ratties in our thoughts & prayers

{hugs}

Desert Arabian
05-10-2004, 08:00 PM
Malone wouldn't be able to send a kiss would he? That would cheer me up a bit too!

Thanks everyone, I hope I will come back with some good news tomorrow. I will let everyone know what the vet says.

Cookiebaker
05-10-2004, 09:12 PM
Especially for you, Laura....

http://www2.innevi.com/~emenay/yll3.jpg

:)

shais_mom
05-10-2004, 10:57 PM
Thoughts and prayers on your way Laura!

wolf_Q
05-10-2004, 10:58 PM
Oh Laura I'm so sorry...I don't really know what to say. Just know that we are all thinking of you. :(

popcornbird
05-10-2004, 11:53 PM
:( I'm so sorry you're going through such pain and sadness right now. :( Please know that you and your pets are in my thoughts and prayers.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-11-2004, 06:42 AM
I am so sorry you are having to go through all of this. Thoughts and prayers coming your way from me and my gang.