PDA

View Full Version : update on shadow

cali
05-10-2004, 02:39 PM
ok shadow is going to need a foster home or something until my dad can get a place where he can take her with him. shadow cant stay here anymore, misty has taken over as alpha dog and if you know anything about dog packs, you will know that once a new alpha dog has taken over the old one is sent packing. shadow is old and cant defeat misty any longer. shadow is terrified, last night she slept outside because she was terrified to come in, when my mom went to get her this morning to eat, she was shaking under the deck. as soon as she is always near someone otherwise as soon as she is alone she gets attacked, for now we have been shutting her in my moms room, too keep her safe, if this was the wild she would be long gone, but its not the wild and she cant escape. shdow is going to my dads for a bit tonight, and my mom is going to talk to my dad about finding one of his friends that can take her for a while. my mom and I only know people with dogs, and she needs to be an only dog, my dad is the leader of a running group, who know shadow, and his friends at work all know shadow(he brings her there often) unfortinatly if we dont get shadow out of here now, she is going to get badly injured. :(

aly
05-10-2004, 02:42 PM
Just a suggestion that she might not need to be an only dog. I wouldn't rule out potential foster homes if they have extremely laid-back dogs. My two dogs don't even blink when I bring new fosters in. Someone your dad knows may have dogs similar to mine.

cali
05-10-2004, 02:51 PM
good point, the thing is that we know hwo much happier she is when she is an only dog, she grew up not sharing attention with any other dogs, and only learned about other dogs from our own, at 8 years old, she may have this idea that all dogs are as rambuctious as ours lol the only others she has met are dakota and sparky, who are even more rambuctious then mine. we will have to see how it goes, if someone does have a layed back dog that shadow does not mind, that would be alright too.

stacwase
05-10-2004, 03:56 PM
Jake and Max had the "alpha dog" battle. When Max won, Jake sulked for a few days and acted scared, but then they settled into their new pecking order. They're not friends, but Max doesn't pick on Jake or anything. Maybe after a while it will work out?

cali
05-10-2004, 04:58 PM
no see thats not the problem, shadow has alpha battles all the time, but its not the same anymore, misty has taken over alpha all the dogs now respect misty, not shadow, but because shadow was alpha for 4 years and misty has taken her place all the others are attacking shadow at once, not to hurt her right now, just to get her the message that she has to leave, but she cant thats the problem, if shadow does not leave they WILL attack to hurt, and trust me if they wanted to they could easily injure shadow, we need to get shadow out of here BEFORE it gets worse.

cali
05-10-2004, 08:34 PM
well sheesh, ya think my dad would be a little more concerned about his dog! he wont even ask his friends if they could foster shadow, he said he would try to get out of his lease in june, otherwise shadow can live in my moms room untill his lease runs out at the end of sepember! :mad: he was like well then just disipline the other dogs better, the other dogs you can disipline all ya want it wont help, and we have heard nothing but horrer storys about dogs whos owners manipulated the pack to there own liking, dogs getting ripped to peices as soon as the owner was not looking kind of thing. we wont risk shadow getting injured, in this case tough luck on my dad because my friend offered to take shadow for a while if her dad agree's, she figeres it would do dakota some good because shadow is an exellent role model, and 'kota is not dominant either. the problem with that is my dad cant go visit her lots, well tough luck for him because shadow cant stay here, or she will get injured, shadows needs need to go ahead of my dads right now, because my dads way of thinking could get his dog severly injured. I just hope stephs dad allowes her to take shadow till the end of June :(