PDA

View Full Version : cats eat the dangdest things!

luvdemabys
10-28-2000, 04:03 PM
I'm sure we all have wild stories about what our cats like in the way of people food. Our three abys will tease for whatever we have, and we give up in exasperation and let them try something .... and they love it! Couple of the weirdest things (for cats) they relish are cantaloupe and bananas. Asparagus is another. Who else has examples?

andi666
10-31-2000, 07:11 AM
My girl Rio (C.O.T.D 12/24/99)loves air popped popcorn. She comes running when she hears the popper in action. She also likes pretzel nuggets,these she will take out of the bag when she thinks I am not looking. Growing up we had a cat that my father tought to eat corn on the cob. Mo would hold down the cob and chew off the corn. This was always a hit at family cook-outs. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

4 feline house
10-31-2000, 09:07 PM
luv and andi-
check out the Cat General category for a post subject "weird taste" by Gina for some hilarious stories of this same thread!

ownerof3dogs
11-01-2000, 06:55 PM
my cat loves potatoe chips

felixowner
11-29-2000, 09:16 AM
My childhood cat, Caico, had a really intense thing for cantelope too. If she couldn't get a fresh piece, she would dig in the trash can and pull out the rinds. Once she captured a rind, she would drag it into a corner under the table and howl like a maniac until she finished with it. Never had a taste for any other fruits or vegetables.

HowieDawn
12-01-2000, 02:50 PM
One of my kitties LOVES pasta, and she hates meat. Which I find really odd.

------------------
"Of all God's creatures there is only one that cannot be made the slave of the leash. That one is the cat. If man could be crossed with a cat it would improve man, but it would deteriorate the cat." - Mark Twain

Beth02
12-03-2000, 08:44 PM
Hello everyone! I love cats as much as everyone else seems to be on here. . .
Anyways, my adorable Squeakers (who btw is a feisty, 'ferocious' Tabby) will eat about anything in site. From sock fuzz to milk. . .you name it!
lol. . .can tell this will be a site I'll be visiting more often!
Beth

------------------
Those who judge don't matter but those who matter don't judge.
Anonymous

4 feline house
12-04-2000, 05:00 PM
I know this doesn't have anything to do with eating strange things, but I have seen Spencer's many posts in which he mentions a neutered cat that still thinks he's a tom, and each time it reminds me of some similar stories: my mom was fostering an orphaned litter. She owned at the same time a large neutered tuxedo, Pierre, who adopted the kittens as his own litter, even to the point of nursing them! Of course, he had no milk, but the kittena grew up well nourished thanks to my mom's bottle and well adjusted and trained thanks to that silly "Mr. Mom" Pierre. I had an old large neutered tabby. Zebo, whose fur was sparse on his fat belly, so his nipples were will visible. I adopted a just-weaned orange boy, Toot, who kept trying to nurse on the old guy! Toot also used to start purring loudly and kneading his paws everytime my son went around the house with no shirt on - I finally realized he was eying my son's nipples fondly! I have since learned from a friend who also fosters that it is not unheard of for a neutered male to "adopt" orphaned litters. This same Toot later on when he was older and neutered, like Spencer, tried to "mate" with one of my in-season fosters. Good thing these creatures are so lovable, because sometimes they are just downright weird! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited December 04, 2000).]

rhonni
12-05-2000, 12:51 PM
My 13lb male, oreo (black & white) long hair manx loves peanut butter!! Especially when it is on warm toast like a sandwich...and YES, I do share with him!!! He also loves drinks with straws. It is so funny to watch him play with a straw that is in my glass, he grabs at it with his paws and bites it and it looks like he is drinking right from it!!

Pandamouse
12-06-2000, 09:57 PM
My cat like to eat advocado.
And it would eat Kettle chilly flavoured chips. Silly cat.

Pam
01-03-2001, 06:56 AM
At the risk of being too graphic here, I just realized that my Andy has eaten some of my artificial tree. Found that out cleaning out the litterbox this morning. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif Talk about eating the dangdest things!

khoiho
01-03-2001, 04:37 PM
My three month old grey and white tabby Miuccia goes absolutely wild for my eye makeup removal pads. Miuccia is usually the sweetest kitty, but whenever she gets close to one or smells one she growls and lunges for it. I have to be very careful where I throw the things. Once I accidently threw one in an open wastebasket and I only realized it when Miuccia was digging through the trash. I was too late - she had it half swallowed by the time I caught her and she was growling very aggressively. I just sat there in shock praying that the makeup removal pad wouldn't do Miuccia any harm when 30 seconds later Miuccia threw up and out it came! I was immensely relieved. Miuccia has gone back to the wastebasket again and again, hoping to be lucky enough to find another tasty "treat".

Miuccia also has the exact same reaction to the tails of furry mice toys. She half swallowed a tail on one occasion and I had to pull it out of her mouth to stop her from swallowing the whole thing!

Troy
01-03-2001, 06:41 PM
...perhaps it is the "fury" element of the cleanser pad and mouse. I notice a lot of cats will instinctively attack/play with/destroy things made of artificial fur, furry carpets, spun yarn etc?

4 feline house
01-04-2001, 03:27 AM
My mom was once bottle-feeding an orphan foster. She kept running out of the nipples for the bottles, then finally figured out why when one day the kitten threw one up. He had been eating them!

HowieDawn
01-07-2001, 01:52 PM
Lucy loves pasta! But what she likes more than pasta is a bug. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/eek.gif She hunts them down and then eats them. I noticed her the other day looking at the ceiling and meowing. There was a shadow on the ceiling. I had to pick her up to show her that there wasn't a bug there. She kept smacking it waiting for it to jump. Silly kitty http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif

Tinkerbelle
01-16-2001, 11:15 AM
Tinkerbelle likes eating turkey, and tuna. she pretends to like cheese, and then doesn't bother to eat it. she licks the top of hair spritz bottles until i take them away from her, which can be very dangerous, but gets sick after, so i feel better about it. She LOOOOVVES to chew paper.

Martin
02-12-2001, 06:39 PM
My cats; Red and Black, don't like fish but love chocolate, cheese and any kind of cake! I'm going to try them on chewing gum tomorrow!

Troy
02-12-2001, 07:18 PM
Martin, you may want to check out this older topic entitled:

"No chocolate for cats" http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/Forum13/HTML/000052.html

Martin
02-14-2001, 11:32 AM
Troy,Thanks for pointing that out, I enjoyed the previous discussion and from now on it's no more chockie for Red and Black http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/frown.gif ! ...and before anyone reacts, I was only joking about the chewing gum http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif!

pam_pesto
02-19-2001, 07:46 AM
My cat Pesto ate a red string, bit by bit. I found it in the litter box in a different form.
Otherwise, she loves anything garlicky, parmesan cheese, pasta, cream cheese and bagel, fish and turkey.
She also licks a lot of things-- maybe for the taste? She licks and licks her new scratching post, but never licked her old one. She also licks the placemats, the freezer, and of course, her mom and dad.

4 feline house
02-19-2001, 08:51 PM
I found a big, red rubber band on the floor yesterday and was reminded how one of my cats who is now at the rainbow bridge, Toot, used to love eating rubber bands, specifically these big red ones. I was always afraid they were bad for him, since he usually barfed them up, but he somehow managed to find them!

Martin
02-20-2001, 06:28 AM
4felinehouse, That reminds me of a cat I knew in a previous life called Smokey. She was rubbing at my ankles one day while I was making a salmon pate sandwich. The pate came in a sausage-like plastic tube with a metal staple at each end. Having cut-off the end, leaving some pate on it, I dropped the end of the tube on the floor for Smokey to lick the pate off. You guessed it, she swallowed the whole thing! So, after a trip to the vet, and a hefty bill, I had to force-feed the poor mite with liquid parrafin until the inevitable happened and the offending bit of plastic re-appeared!

4 feline house
02-20-2001, 08:49 PM
Bless her heart, munching on a goodie, minding her own business, and next thing she knew she was being whisked off to that nasty place with those bad men in the white coats and being force fed melted candles!

Martin
02-21-2001, 03:21 AM
Not just that! The liquid parrafin was 'administered' from a small syringe whilst the poor critter was held by a pair of hands in gardening gloves! I imagine the volume of L.P. was the equivalent, for a human, of perhaps a pint!

Funnyly enough, she went off salmon pate after that!

[This message has been edited by Martin (edited February 21, 2001).]

jcohick
02-26-2001, 03:21 PM
Our cat Mike loved tomatoes. If you would leave one cut and on the counter, he would climb up and suck all of the seeds out. He liked bananas too. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

BassetHound08
03-24-2001, 08:15 AM
Hola peoples! My cat eats paper, No you're not hearing things I said my cat eats paper. Yep i know you'resitting there, "What a dumb cat!" BUT YOU"RE WRONG! My kitty is very smart thanx so much. One day I was looking through a catalog and I wasn't paying any attention to poor little kitty. So what did kitty do? She jumped up onto the table and stared to eat the catlog. But don't worry kitty is alright. So make shure next time you're looking through a catklog that you're paying plenty of attention to your kitty.

Logan
03-24-2001, 11:26 AM
On the paper subject....My Butter just loves to chew paper. I would swear he is part Goat. He will attack all paper, including things he shouldn't, like checks, my work papers, etc. He doesn't eat it, just shreds it. That's at least one way to get rid of our excess around here!!!

4 feline house
03-24-2001, 01:12 PM
Since I have multiple allergies, I have a box of kleenexes in every room. The box in my bedroom usually stays right on the bed.

When Big was about six months old, I came home from work to find him sound asleep in the middle of the bed on top of a fully shredded box of kleenexes! That started a saying around our house "Uh, oh, someone needa be beat!" Of course, instead of being beaten, he was sugared!

felixowner
03-24-2001, 02:02 PM
As a kitten felix loved to chew all types of paper, including cardboard. for a few months, every bill i paid or magazine i read was decorated with his jaw imprint pattern. When i made him a special cardboard box "house" to hang out in, his only use for it was to sharpen his teeth on the "door". Now he has moved on to nails, screws, and other prizes he finds in the basement.

Vi Co Bi
03-24-2001, 05:19 PM
My Princess Crystal loves fresh baked bread and would come running when I took it out of the oven. She'd throw the most awful fit if she didn't get the first piece. It never seemed to matter what kind of bread it was (white, wheat, sourdough, rye, whatever), just as long as it was still warm and had a touch of butter on it.

Jackson has to be the oddest cat I've ever had. If it isn't dry cat food or canned cat food, he **won't** eat it. No kitty treats, no table treats, doesn't matter, he won't touch it.

pam_pesto
03-24-2001, 06:19 PM
Pesto will actually lick, if not EAT, anything. She licks her scratching post even (it is carpeted)! She has been caught licking the bathroom door, tub, sink, computer monitor (a favorite), and especially her momma's forehead!

------------------
Personal servant for Pesto

LouiseC
03-25-2001, 01:01 PM
Our current two cats are really strange - they only eat their food and their kitty snacks! We have never had cats like this before!! The male will try to steal milk out of a glass or a momentarily unattended cereal bowl, but if you give him a little milk in his dish, he's not as interested, and will only lick up a little bit. Guess it's the challenge of sneaking it that's more appealing to him. The female, or the "Critic", as we refer to her, is something else - if we give her a little bit of chicken or ham or cheese, she will sniff at it, turn up her nose, and try to bury it!! They both will eat flies if they get a chance...quite off-putting for us, I must say.

One of our previous cats absolutely loved fresh mushrooms, and would come running whenever I opened a package. He also liked garden peas, and cucumber. Both he and his companion cat liked corn on the cob. We would put them outside with their corn on the cob because it was messy. It does look funny to see a cat eat corn on the cob. I think sometimes with two cats, when one likes something, the other one thinks he should eat it too, just so he's not missing out on anything.

Smare
03-27-2001, 11:00 AM
My cat Boogie, eats the weirdest things! One of the strangest people foods he's eaten is corn. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/rolleyes.gif He eats all kinds of things, and I wouldn't be suprised if he ate string like Pesto too! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

-Smare

wolflady
03-27-2001, 12:17 PM
Asperagus....need I say more? http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Ben E Gas
03-27-2001, 12:27 PM
i tried to give Zezu some bannana last night, he didn't like it though. he just pawed at it. He loves when my girl friend is eating 'go-gurt'. it's a form of yogurt that's held in a handy tube. He always sits up on her shoulder when she eats those.

kazicat
03-28-2001, 12:59 AM
Kazi loves cheese, tuna, turkey - all the usual things, but she will virtually mow me down to get to the vegimite! Those in the UK and Australia will know what I'm talking about but I suspect those in the UK and Cnanda may not - its a salty, black, strong tasting paste we use as a spread - I love it on toast, but I get tired of fighting Kaz off for a taste! She's also a licker - one brand of hairspray (I woke to find her licking my head one night!) that I only used the once was obviously very tasty to her too - she likes the bathroom walls and cupboards too...

ShopGirl
03-30-2001, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by khoiho:
My three month old grey and white tabby Miuccia goes absolutely wild for my eye makeup removal pads. Miuccia is usually the sweetest kitty, but whenever she gets close to one or smells one she growls and lunges for it. I have to be very careful where I throw the things. Once I accidently threw one in an open wastebasket and I only realized it when Miuccia was digging through the trash. I was too late - she had it half swallowed by the time I caught her and she was growling very aggressively. I just sat there in shock praying that the makeup removal pad wouldn't do Miuccia any harm when 30 seconds later Miuccia threw up and out it came! I was immensely relieved. Miuccia has gone back to the wastebasket again and again, hoping to be lucky enough to find another tasty "treat".

Miuccia also has the exact same reaction to the tails of furry mice toys. She half swallowed a tail on one occasion and I had to pull it out of her mouth to stop her from swallowing the whole thing!

My cat also eats all the tails off of her mice! hehe . . .

------------------
~*~ Chanelle ~*~

ShopGirl
03-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by pam_pesto:
Pesto will actually lick, if not EAT, anything. She licks her scratching post even (it is carpeted)! She has been caught licking the bathroom door, tub, sink, computer monitor (a favorite), and especially her momma's forehead!

Yes, my cat loves to lick also! I found her licking her carpeted scratching post and alos her stuffed monkey Ernie. Hehe . . .

ShopGirl
03-30-2001, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by pam_pesto:

Yes, my cat loves to lick also! I found her licking her carpeted scratching post and alos her stuffed monkey Ernie. Hehe . . .

------------------
~*~ Chanelle ~*~

ShopGirl
03-30-2001, 02:21 PM
My cat Aerial wants anything that I have. When I sit at the table to eat she'll jump up on the washstand thats behind me. Then she balances one paw on my shoulder and streches her other paw out as far as it can reach. Then Aerial trys to take my food off of the fork! Sometimes she'll get the tidbit and then she doesn't eat it! Silly kitty http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

------------------
~*~ Chanelle ~*~

luvdemabys
03-30-2001, 03:55 PM
Well, after all these weeks, I have to say Kazicat tops the list. Vegemite!? Those of us who don't live upside down dispute whether it's edible for humans.

4 feline house
03-30-2001, 08:14 PM
I've heard it's nasty stuff, but that's what the Aussies say about our peanut butter....

Troy
04-01-2001, 04:55 PM
I'm not from Australia or USA so I'm not really biased http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif but...

Vegemite is delicious, it's a yeast extract with a high salt content and most cats love it

Peanutbutter, don't let the Aussies fool you its more popular here than Vegemite! (and one of my cats likes it too)

kazicat
04-08-2001, 06:46 PM
okay - we have to defend the good old vegimite - in small amounts, for humans its delicious although I admit it may be an acquired taste (like olives?). Apparently its very popular among cats and dogs as is peanut butter. I confess to being pretty fond of peanut butter too and I have a friend whose cat loves it!

gonzorogers
05-04-2001, 09:23 AM
My cat knows when I open a yogurt container and waits until I am done to lick out the container. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

sadiegirl
05-13-2001, 02:56 PM
My cats like to lick the bowl of my ice-cream. He loves it, he makes his rounds by getting my whole family's icecream!! HE also likes to throw around q-tips, then he trys to eat them. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif

cheyaut
05-25-2001, 03:48 PM
One of my cats, Hollow, LOVES to eat crickets... but the problem is, whenever he gets one, he ALWAYS throws up... YUCK! Grem Lynne, another of my cats, loves to catch the crickets, but doesn't eat them- instead she puts them in my malamute's food dish! LOL

------------------
Kodak Moment the malamute/husky, Keesha Marie the cocker/field spaniel?, Fuji Film the chow/aussie?, Secretariat and Grem Lynne the unrelated brown tabby and white DSH, Hollow and Sparky, father/daughter black DSH, Cheyenne Autumn my pride and joy TB, Matastar's Morning Star my Rocky Mountain horse colt, and the birds!

Maylo
06-02-2001, 11:18 AM
My old cat, Blueberry, liked to eat dresses, period.
Raspberry like to eat raw meat and cornbread.
Tabby likes cat food. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/tongue.gif

------------------
~Maylo~

annibale16
06-05-2001, 09:33 AM
Maddie loves Pistacchio nuts. She is really good about not eating stuff. But once I offered her a pistacchio and she loved it!

Catcrazed
06-05-2001, 02:54 PM
My boyfriend's cat Tardis will eat anything! Carpet fuzz, earings, berrets, rings, pencils, underwear, socks,etc. Recently, while we were gone, he pried open a can of cat treats and ate all of them. And some of the container. Apparently he didn't bother to chew, because when he threw them up again they were whole. He tried to eat them again, but we intervened.

lisajb
06-08-2001, 01:45 PM
My cat would like to eat lint from the dryer (we do not let him)!! We make sure when dumping the lint out not to drop any otherwise kitty scoops it up!!

Shadow_25
06-09-2001, 11:13 AM
my cat shadow eats anything that is a liguid!!! i onca gave him a bit of my freeze and he ate it but i stopped cuz it has a lot of chemicals!!!!!! i als ogave him yogurt, honey and vanilla icecream! only to taste ! my cat won't eat any wet food unless you give it to him from you're hand !!!!!!
he;s so wierd!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

4 feline house
06-09-2001, 12:40 PM
S25-Your post reminds me of an episode of Seinfeld. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif Any old fans know what I'm talking about? Hint: !!!! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

[This message has been edited by 4 feline house (edited June 09, 2001).]

yorkster
06-25-2001, 07:04 PM
We put some hot-dogs on the BBQ a while back and made baked beans, and our 6-month old orange kitten came around begging for food as he always does. I pinched off a tiny piece of h.dog and handed it to him. He sniffed it but would not eat it, and kept staring at me. Finally I just picked out a bean and gave it to him, and he LOVED it- kept asking for more! Now when we have beans, whether it is baked beans or navy beans or whatever, he gets a few. But only a few! If beans effect cats the way they do humans, it's probably not a good idea.....

TheAntiPam
06-25-2001, 09:46 PM
My big orange cat Murf loves anything with mint. He nibbles the mint plant in the garden, which is good for his digestion.

But he also likes the mint in certain medicines like astringent face cleaner or Absorbine Jr., a rub for sore muscles. These are definitely NOT good for his digestion! So, if I want to use those products, I have to wait until I'm away from the house. Otherwise, I get a sandpaper tongue bath.

And, when I use mint flavored toothpaste, he always waits for a taste. I just put a tiny bit of foam on my finger and he licks it up. Not enough to harm, just enough to satisfy. What we don't do for our pets!!!!

[This message has been edited by TheAntiPam (edited June 25, 2001).]

Greymeow
06-26-2001, 04:16 AM
My feline friend, Greymeow, would try on any human food. He has been found eating chestnut cake, chinese herbal jelly, coconut milk, etc. In order to make sure he doesn't miss any good food, he sniffs everything you bring out from the kitchen, especially the fridge! He has once tried the coffee but he didn't like it. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

Several months ago, I fell and hurt my cheek. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/redface.gif I was told that the mark would soon fade away if I rub some vitamin E into it. So I brought home a bottle of vitamin E capsules. I was surprised Greymeow came running when I was applying. I let him taste a little and you guess what, he licked it onto his fur! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

catwoman
06-26-2001, 09:46 AM
My Thelma likes bananas and kiwifruit ... just to poke her teeth through, however. (She loves the texture of the skin.) If you peel the banana and offer it to her, she has no interest. But I have to store my bananas inside a cabinet instead of out on the counter! She is also a big fan of lettuce (as a toy) and real mayonaisse (no "fat free" for her!)

Thelma also loves my body lotion. It has a pump dispenser, and she loves to lick the little bit that clings to the pump. I have to push her out of the way in the morinings to use the sink.

My Weezie loves plastic bags, rubber bands, and the plastic "ends" of band-aids. I have to be very diligent about keeping these away from her, particularly rubber bands. She will unzip my mother's purse, pull out her wallet (which she wraps in a rubber band) and carry it down the hall in her teeth.

Catwoman

Catcrazed
06-28-2001, 07:18 PM
I found out what my cats won't eat. Apparently Haggis is to nasty for my cats. I got some at the Scottish festival, tried a bite, barfed, then brought the rest to my cats. They turned thier backs and wagged thier tails as if they thought I was trying to poison them!

4 feline house
06-28-2001, 09:14 PM
HAGGIS!! :eek: You really thought they would eat that!?!? :confused: ;) :D

sammi
06-28-2001, 10:05 PM
What is it??? :eek:

Cinder & Smoke
07-05-2001, 02:12 PM
You don't wanna know! :eek:

Pam
07-05-2001, 02:34 PM
Cinder & Smoke is right! My husband is part Scottish and I am familiar with Haggis although have NEVER eaten it (and never will)!!

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: Pam ]

4 feline house
07-05-2001, 03:11 PM
Sheep's stomach and oatmeal.

thelmalu99
07-05-2001, 03:14 PM
Here's the whole deal on Haggis...
http://www.freep.com/fun/food/qhaggis21.htm

...and here's a recipe, in case anyone's interested... ;)
http://www.smart.net/~tak/haggis.html#ten
[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

[ July 05, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

Catcrazed
07-10-2001, 06:18 PM
Yeah, Haggis is just going to far apparerently. They have since forgiven me. Haggis is the scottish version of chitlins

Catcrazed
07-10-2001, 06:21 PM
More like "gag"is

luvdemabys
07-13-2001, 03:02 PM
Haggis!?!? Vegemite just fell to number 2.

KarenWestley
07-31-2001, 03:25 AM
My sister once spilled a packet of chocolate raisins on the floor. We only got half of them back, Sam turned into a small vacuum cleaner and polished off the rest! I know it's not good for them, but fortunately there were no ill effects.

We also have to be careful with silver paper, like chewing gum wrappers, kitchen foil etc. Silver paper balls are about the only toy he's not scared of, but he has to be supervised, otherwise he runs off to his food-dish, has his dinner and eats the silver ball for dessert.

aguu
08-01-2001, 03:11 PM
Jake LOVES Doritos and any type of cheese. He also likes to eat bean sprouts but only with terryaki sauce! And of course likes to eat anything furry - I made the mistake of buying him one of those little balls of real fur on the end of a string. When I tried to get him to play with it he wasn't interested in the least, but when I put it down, he snuck over the minute I wasn't looking and stole it. As I watched him I realized that really he was just trying to cram it in his mouth (he was pushing it in with his paw) I had to actually pull the string to get it back out!
Now I keep it in my coffee table drawer but I realized that he figured how to open it from the bottom and he keeps tring to steal it and eat it! :eek:

jbttrfly54
08-01-2001, 05:58 PM
:eek: my little "Charlie" loves to eat Mac & Cheese with me, (Maybe it's the milk!) :confused:

HansMom
08-01-2001, 07:39 PM
Our "middle child", Abby, absolutely LOVES Spaghettios with meatballs. At first I thought she wanted just the meatballs, but she eats the pasta and the sauce, too. Trouble is, she can't keep the sauce down. So, when I make them for myself, I take a little out and rinse the pasta off so she can enjoy. (She likes it this way, too!) She also enjoys licking the edges of beer bottles. Weird cat! (So thing she's so cute!)

AmberLee
08-01-2001, 08:23 PM
Okay, I'm a baaaaad cat mommy. Both kids enjoy chicken buritos, so there are times when the three of us are in my chair chomping on buritos. (Fortunately I'm the only one in the house that likes shrimp buritos, however odd this sounds to others! Go figure.)

Harley
08-02-2001, 05:49 PM
BeeBee (Rainbow Bridge) had her favorite foods - anything with a tomato base like pizza sauce or spaghetti sauce, green beans, and ranch dressing. Trixie likes to lick the plate if there is a tomato sauce, too, but then she tries to "cover" it like it's a litter box!

Ginny
08-08-2001, 11:47 PM
Misty goes crazy over turkey. When I made a turkey the first thanksgiving we had with her I had a good laugh. She just kept meowing and caring on so I put a piece of turkey on her plate thinking well she must be hungry. Well she woofed that down and begged for more. I think she ate more than I did. Now it is funny if she smells turkey she is a beggar. She likes turkey.

labonte_lover18
08-14-2001, 03:04 PM
My cat Tigris drinks Budweiser! Its not like we let her or anything, but if someone spills beer on the floor, she'll come and lick it up. Now tell me that's not strange!

tuxluvr
08-16-2001, 08:30 PM
Spencer, I died laughing at that cartoon and had never heard of "Get Fuzzy"! Thanks for turning me on to it.

As to odd ingestions, my cat has never been fed anything but kitten/cat food (Iams). I'm probably paranoid, but don't want to risk health problems by introducing food she shouldn't eat. (Hey, not that she doesn't sneak that bit on the floor here and there and there is that matter with flies and other bugs.....I could call her "Renfield")... On one occasion, before her spay appointment, we were told not to feed her the night before. We had let her play with these little "fake mice" that look real.....she was so hungry she chewed the fur and skin off the little plastic mouse body...everything came out "in the end" but she was rather sick the day she came home from the vet hospital until she "purged" the offensive material. Poor boo boo kitty

She was very unhappy with me because I wouldn't let her play with the mice any more unless closely supervised, but mommy cat knows best! :o

zippy-kat
08-17-2001, 01:00 AM
Tom loved green beans, bananas, and peas.
Max loved cinnamon rolls, orange juice, and tea.

Clarice loves anything salty!
Tinker loves corn and crackers! She woke us up one morning by banging a door. She had opened the cupboard and the door shut behind her. Well, I suppose she had been trapped for quite awhile b/c she had chewed open a new BOX of ritz crackers, dug out one of the plastic packages, OPENED it, and helped herself to a feast. There were sooooo many crumbs inside the cabinet! :rolleyes:

[ August 17, 2001: Message edited by: zippy-kat ]

NoahsMommy
08-20-2001, 03:08 PM
Noah likes to eat things that aren't food! I just discovered that the plastic coverings at the end of my shoe laces are gone! :rolleyes: He likes to eat feathers, litter shavings from the bunny cage, alfalfa hay, paper, anything small!!

As far as food, he liked the honey roasted soy beans I gave him yesturday! :)

thelmalu99
08-22-2001, 02:48 PM
I have to be really careful with my garbage bags and shopping bags because Elvis loves to chew on them! I think I'm going to have to buy one of those garbage cans with a lid and a pedal at the bottom because I'm sure that the plastic is not very good for him.
Silly kitty. :rolleyes:

catwoman
08-22-2001, 03:15 PM
Thelmalu,

My Weezie has the same garbage-bag fetish. The pedal-type garbage pail has worked well to deter her.

If Elvis can get into drawers and cabinets (like Weezie does) ... consider getting a grocery-bag dispenser that you can hang from a nail (the fabric kind) or mount to the wall (the plastic kind.)

Good luck,
Dianne

thelmalu99
08-22-2001, 03:57 PM
Dianne,
Yeah, I have one of those plastic dispensers for my grocery/garbage bags, but I always end up just throwing bags into the cabinet. I'm afraid I'm not very disciplined, LOL.

Does Weezie lick the plastic bags too? Elvis will just sit there licking the plastic before he starts chewing on it.
He's so wierd. I think I named him well! http://bbs2.fanforum.com/images/smilies/LOL.gif

catwoman
08-22-2001, 04:35 PM
Thelmalu,

Yes, Weezie licks the bags first. Next she nibbles, leaving little tooth marks and holes. And lastly, (if I don't intervene,) she bites of small pieces and swallows them! It doesn't seem to bother her, but it really worries me.

She also likes to lick the shower curtain whenever she's in the bathroom. (So weird!) She never did this until I left a bag of salted peanuts on the counter one day. Do you think she is hoping all the other bags will be salty too? :confused:

Does Elvis like rubberbands too? Weezie can sniff them out from five miles away. She's been known to unzip purses to get at them :eek:

I like Elvis' name ... I'm originally from Tennessee!

Dianne

thelmalu99
08-22-2001, 04:55 PM
Dianne,
Yes, he's my little plastic-eatin' hunka burnin' love! :D
I'm going to pick up one of those garbage cans with a lid because it worries me that he keeps eating plastic bags.
I have never seen him play with a rubberband. I don't even think I have any at home. Maybe that's a good thing!
Have you ever posted pictures of Thelma and Weezie? I'd love to see what my namesake looks like! :D

catwoman
08-22-2001, 05:10 PM
Thelmalu,

No, I've not posted any pics of the girls. :( I have a few nice ones on diskette, especially of Thelma (who, like her namesake, is very photogenic :D ) ... but none are anywhere on the web so I can't figure out how to post them here.

If you like, I can e-mail you a couple tomorrow ... after I get my disk from home.

Dianne

AmberLee
08-22-2001, 06:35 PM
Yikes!!! :eek:

Thank you Thelma/Catwoman for the head's up. Livvy's been licking plastic bags and other plastic objects for about a month now, but I never thought to check if she'd done any nibbling. Since her tummy rather sensative :rolleyes: (or she eats stuff that disagrees with her WAY too much) I'll need to keep a much closer eye on her. Just had no idea this oddity could be the start of more tummy distress.

thelmalu99
08-23-2001, 10:21 AM
Dianne,
Absolutely, I'd love to see pics of the girls! I unfortunately still haven't had a chance to take pics of the boyz, but I will as soon as I can. Please, e-mail those photos on over!

AmberLee,
Yeah, if Livvy has been licking the plastic bags, she's probably been doing some nibbling too. I once came home after some heavy-duty shopping and just dropped my bags on the floor. A few hours later, when I went to pick the bags up, one whole edge of a plastic shopping bag was chewed up! It really worries me.
I just don't understand what the attraction is!
WhatEVER! :rolleyes:

catwoman
08-23-2001, 12:41 PM
Thelmalu,

The pics are on their way! Sorry, I don't have any of Weezie munching on a baggie ...
LOL!

Dianne

4 feline house
08-23-2001, 01:01 PM
Cats like the plastic bags because lard is used as a softener in the manufacturing process. Their ultra-sensitive noses can detect it. Little bits every now and then probably won't hurt them, but if they have a real habit it could. Further, the handles can easily become wrapped around their necks. It's best, no matter how tired you are, to put them away as soon as you get home.

thelmalu99
08-23-2001, 01:33 PM
Thanks Leah,
I didn't realize about the lard. That explains it.
LOL, yeah I'd say Elvis has a real habit. I'm going to have to check him in to the Kitty Ford Clinic for his addiction, lol.
In any case, I have been careful about not leaving those bags sitting around. I just have to get the garbage can with the lid and I think I'll be all set. :)

catwoman
08-23-2001, 02:51 PM
Lard, huh? Well, no wonder!!!

Thanks for posting, 4 Feline House ... you have solved a long-term mystery for me. :)

Dianne

Kittylady
09-01-2001, 08:34 PM
My big ol' 18 pound orange monkey in a cat suit (Alex) goes nuts for lettuce, especially romaine. When I take the bag out of the refrigerator, he practically climbs up the cabinet doors to the counter to get to it. I don't dare leave my salad unguarded, he'll eat the lettuce right out of it.

He also drinks my iced tea right from my glass. Hard to get a meal eaten by myself.

:rolleyes:

wayne0214
05-03-2002, 09:05 PM
Beth02 welcome to Pet Talk. I sincerely hope you enjoy the posts that are offered here.

Tiger is the one I have to watch when it comes to eating strange things. Generally, whatever I eat, she wants some too. So far I have had to take bagels, and sugar rolls (snails) from her.

....................wayne

krazyaboutkatz
05-04-2002, 10:29 PM
My three cats love rice pudding. Storm also likes to chew on plastic things. Now I guess I know why. My mom's cat liked to eat bananas and cantilope.

ganime
05-06-2002, 02:29 AM
Whenever we are eating at the table Karamel will come and try to jump to the table. Sometimes we forget to draw the chairs near the table so he will get at the table and sniff at our food!

Anyway Karamel eats squash, baked beans, chick peas, pumpkin dessert, cream, yoghurt, any kind of meat and meat products (fav is chicken liver and chicken sausage), leeks (yes, leeks), carrot, potatoes (loves them), ice cream, bread, cakes, rice, pasta, cheese, tuna(loves to lick the can clean)

cr7clark
05-06-2002, 10:39 AM
Anyone tried to feed baby food to their cats? Miss Bo goes absolutely ape over any kind of meat baby food.....turkey, lamb, chicken, liver, beef, etc. All I have to do is to pop the vacuum seal on a small jar of baby food, and Bo will wake up and come running, meowing for dear life. She will insistently meow loudly and rub around my feet until I either set the jar down for her to partake or dip it out with a spoon. She prefers the spoon method of feeding, but when the jar is empty she must have at it with her paws and tongue.:)

moosmom
05-14-2002, 11:39 AM
My cat MooShoo is a junk food kitty. He loves soy nuts, ice cream, yogurt, pancakes, bananas, Weight Watchers breakfast bars, turkey, butternut squash, mashed potatoes, you name it, he'll eat it.

SpencertheLion,

I LOVE Bucky the Cat!!! It's my favorite comic strip. I swore if I ever got another male I was going to name it "Smackey" after Bucky's toy friend.

A word of caution on some of the baby food. Read the label and make sure it doesn't contain "onion powder" as it is very bad for cats.