PDA

View Full Version : immediate help please!

David_M
05-09-2004, 08:15 PM
Ok, I don't even know if this is the right forum to post this in, but I think "Pet Rescue" is definitely adequate for the situation I am in. Anyways, I was outside with my cats when suddenly one of them caught a bird. I was about to praise it-after all, cats do it to please their owners-when I noticed it was still alive. I guess my pity for all animals made me pry open my cat's mouth and let it go. The bird is young, small, and I am almost positive that it is a blue jay. It is currently in a box with a covering and breathing hole and up high so my cats don't get it. Right now it is very restless, and I think it is hungry. What do I feed it since I have no birdseed? (I can't get any until tomorrow) Also, do you have any suggestions of how to uhh...."entertain" it or something until I can find a home or pet shelter for it? Thanks so much, any help would be greatly appreciated.

-David_M

BTW-It is abandoned.

delidog
05-09-2004, 08:19 PM
Why don't you PM PopcornBird....
She is a true Bird Lover and Afficienado...
Maybe she can help....
Captain also has a Beautiful birdie named Jo...

Kater
05-09-2004, 08:54 PM
I would contact your nearest Wildlife Rehabilitator ASAP! I don't know much about baby birds, but it may be too young to eat seed so I wouldn't try that unless you are advised to by a licensed rehabilitator. GOOD LUCK!

Here are some lists: http://www.wildlifecare.org/listcalifornia.html
http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactA.htm#ca

Kater
05-09-2004, 09:11 PM
Also important to note is that it is a violation of federal law to keep any song bird captive without special permits. (under the Migratory Bird Treaty Act of 1918)

Fallon
05-09-2004, 09:29 PM
Poor birdy.. maybe you should feed it some bread crumbs? But I agree with Kater that you contact your nearest Wildlife Rehabilitator.

popcornbird
05-09-2004, 10:13 PM
Poor birdie. :( I really don't have much experience with wild birds so I don't have much advice. I would only advise you to contact any local wildlife rehabilitator. Hopefully they'll be able to tell you what to do.

David_M
05-10-2004, 06:00 PM
Well, the bird is gone, and I think it flew away. My cats couldn't get it because they have been inside all day. And if it didn't fly away, I have to hope that it will use its own instincts to survive. Oh, and btw, I would have let it go if were not abandoned and if its leg wasn't twisted.