PDA

View Full Version : Another update on Gigi's class

jenfer
05-08-2004, 11:29 PM
Yesterday's Clicker Class was another horror! Gigi was ignoring me and things she could do perfectly at home she can't do it at all in class. So we were the class clown last nite. I was crushed.:( I had a little talk with the trainer, got some ideas and I am determined to make it work. So I went home and did some prep for Sat's pre-agility. (Gigi is taking Clicker class and pre-agility, both class with the same trainer)
And today she did WONDERFULLY in her pre-agility class!!! :D How? Because instead of the regular treats (which I bought from PetsMart), I am using cheese and hotdog! That got her attention and focus. She did great in circle work, got her attention the whole time! Started to free shape her jumping (sorry, forgot the name for the equipment). Target training. And a few more things. The only things she can't do is "down"...somehow she seems to forget that completely. The trainer was amazed and praised Gigi for her good work today. I am happy, Gigi is happy and the trainer is happy. I am truly amazed at how different treats can make such a significant difference. So from now on, PetsMart treat will only be used at home.

Canis Amicus
05-09-2004, 04:22 AM
The treats I give Rex outside, are never the same I give him at home. He has special ones only when he sees a dog (to distract him from being aggressive), more or less, it works, at least when I shake the treat he forgets the other dogs!

For his classes I will take wurst or salami, wich i'll use only for classes.

Nice Sunday for you!

Rosana
and
Rex GSD 3y

Pam
05-09-2004, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by jenfer
I am truly amazed at how different treats can make such a significant difference.

When Bella went to 'school' hot dogs were the suggested treat and they worked really, really well. I never saw Bella so attentive to me. LOL! With her, though, she was better in class heeling, etc. than out in the real world. Out on the street there are kids and other animals which cause her to not pay so much attention to me. Maybe I need to take hot dogs along on our walks. :rolleyes:

ChrisH
05-09-2004, 09:53 AM
Good girl, Gigi! :D

Glad you found what works with her, Jen!:)

Originally posted by Pam
..... Out on the street there are kids and other animals which cause her to not pay so much attention to me. Maybe I need to take hot dogs along on our walks. :rolleyes:
Pam, Bob is exactly the same! Maybe I will give the hot dogs a try!:D

Chris

jenfer
05-10-2004, 12:17 AM
Thanks, Chris. :) My trainer told me she brings food everytime when the dogs are with her. So I am gonna do that. I brought cheese with me when we had our walk in the park. We were practicing circle work and I also use it when she stopped and got distracted. And it work quite well, cuz the park was quite quiet. However, we went to PetsMart afterward...it was quite crowded with people and dogs and my hands were full, so it was much harder. :rolleyes:

Miss Meow
05-10-2004, 12:32 AM
We have the same challenge as well.

The desirability of the food at hand is in exact proportion to the quickness of the trick performed, ie no treat = I can't hear you and I'm pretending you're not talking to me, while a slice of ham = a sit, stay, look at me, come, sit, shake hands, solve a maths problem, tune the TV and put on a load of washing :D

jenfer
05-10-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Miss Meow
We have the same challenge as well.

The desirability of the food at hand is in exact proportion to the quickness of the trick performed, ie no treat = I can't hear you and I'm pretending you're not talking to me, while a slice of ham = a sit, stay, look at me, come, sit, shake hands, solve a maths problem, tune the TV and put on a load of washing :D

haha... I couldn't have said it better. And another reason why Schnaggles and Gigi is a perfect couple!

Depends on where we are, when we are at home...when Miss Gigi feels like it she mayl do what I asked her without treats. And she will do whatever I ask with just PetsMart treats. But when it's outside of home... it's like "what? what mom? do i have a mom???" with PSM treats. :rolleyes: So I must work out a list of "good treats" for her.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-10-2004, 06:47 AM
Thats GREAT! I am planning on starting agility with my FizzGigg this summer. I will have to remember HOTDOGS!

RobiLee
05-10-2004, 07:01 AM
Yay! Gigi, we're so proud of you. Keep up the good work and pay attention to your mommy.

Jennifer, I'm glad you found something that worked for you. Katie is a stubborn also. She would do fine in class and at home with me, but if outside people are around, look out! She rarely listens to me even if I do have the good kind of treats. She is getting better though. Now I have started working with Tori and it is so hard with 2 dogs around. Sometimes I think Tori is very smart but then I also think she is just doing it because Katie is. I am thinking about signing Tori up for puppy obedience. I'll have t find out when the classes are. I've put it off because I'm pretty sure she is going to embarrass me to no end.....lol! I think if me and Tori do the classes though it will give us some alone time and more bonding time.

Robin :)