PDA

View Full Version : Update on New Cat

cprince
04-11-2001, 02:36 PM
Just wanted to first thank all of you who gave me wonderful advice last week when I was bringing home a new cat (New Cat Today! topic under General).

"Colonel" has adapted to his new home in what has to be record time! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif He is so loving and easygoing that I cannot believe that he has not been with us for months. The vet said that he is right at a year old. He is 10 pounds and holds his own with my 18 pound 2 year old, Bruce. Bruce warmed up to Colonel right away but Critter, our 7 year old, is still reserving his acceptance for a later date. Critter is still hissing and growling at Colonel but Colonel seems oblivious.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice and I'd just like to say that it's great to have such a wonderful forum to visit and learn and share!

Ben E Gas
04-11-2001, 02:42 PM
glad to hear the good news!!!

you gotta send us a pic of the 3 of them right away!!!

thanks,
ben

cprince
04-11-2001, 02:58 PM
At the risk of sounding like an idiot (a computer-illiterate one anyway), I haven't learned how to do that just yet but I am working on it. Hope to have something up before long!

Ben E Gas
04-11-2001, 05:54 PM
I had no idea how either until about a month ago. There are posts on here that explain how.

Logan
04-11-2001, 07:42 PM
Hi and congratulations on your new addition. I've decided that "hissing" is a part of our daily life now. 12 year old Mimi is not fond of the Butter cat, who is younger and is a male, and has put himself in her territory. But they do tolerate each other, and each one gets their own loving time....just not in the same room at the same time! LOL!!
Follow Ben's tips on posting photos. They under a topic called HTML, which I think is in Pet General if I'm not mistaken. You will have to upload your photos to a website, or at least have them on your hard drive. With a website like webshots, you can add them yourself. If you only have them on your harddrive, then Paul can put them in for you.
Good luck!! We can't wait to see all three.
Logan

4 feline house
04-12-2001, 02:11 PM
Logan, I was thinking of you and Butter earlier today, because Peaches is kind of reminding me of Butter lately - always scrapping for a fight! Any time I love on her I end up having to walk away because she doesn't seem to understand the difference between loving and fighting. And she's always tearing through the house after one or another of her kids, even her big 20 lb son (who is such a wuss she easily wins). She's always been like this since we found her, but she seems to have gotten worse lately! I don't know if she's firm in her resolve to stay on top of the pecking order or what, but I'm getting tired of hissing bodies of clawed fur hurtling through the house! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/biggrin.gif

bluey
04-16-2001, 12:38 AM
Its nice to hear a good story about a new cat being introduced into a house with other older cats already there. I am thinking of getting another cat for my one handful of a cat Mushroom to play with. She will hate them at the beginning but I think she'll appreciate the company after a while. I'm still a little worried about it but we'll see what happens. Nice to hear it can work out.

felixowner
04-16-2001, 10:22 AM
great to hear of your success. i introduced felix to S when S was about 5. it took some adjustments but they have worked out their problems and i think they are even friends now. S was introduced to halley when hal was about 10; they too lived together well and were both the happier for it. the most helpful advice i've read is to introduce them slowly, at their own pace. amazing cats' ability to coexist with other cats when they have no say in the matter.

tatsxxx11
04-16-2001, 07:39 PM
Cprince. I recently adopted an 8 mo. kitty named Oliver. I was so concerned that my 10 year old Mr. B would be stressed and miserable with a new frisky male kitten in the house. Mr. B has asthma and a heart condition!! Luckily, Mr. B took to Oliver immediately, cleaning him and sleeping with him the first day they actually "met." Even the dogs loved him. Luckily Oliver has the sweetest temperment! It can be so difficult sometimes, introducing a new "kid!" I'm so glad Colonel and Bruce are getting along well. I'm sure Critter will come around soon! Lots of luck, and hugs to all the kittys!

Logan...hang in there!

Logan
04-16-2001, 10:15 PM
Oh, if I could only be so lucky, Sandra.... But I will say that all has been peaceful the last few days. Butter is pretty obedient when I tell him to "scat cat" so that Mimi can come inside! She will not walk through the door if he is anywhere in sight!!!