PDA

View Full Version : Crazy? Or is it just me..

slleipnir
05-07-2004, 08:14 PM
I got off of work tonight around 9:30 and decided I'd go for a walk first thing when I got home to cool off (There was a nice cool breeze) and I was sweating to death from running around at work.

Anyway, I get home and start my peaceful walk (It's usually very calm this time of night, which is why I walk then. There usually are no cars, and no people. Tonight, I see this cab pulled over at the side of the road (near no houses) to let like 50 kids out...ok so it was more like 5-7. The started yelling and screaming just about EVERY imagenable curse word you could think of. They even were yelling at the cab as he drove off. I was going to yell "GROW UP" but I'm not so brave when I'm alone at night..

I continue walking, and eventually the road I was on meets up with the one they are on. I slowed my walking down intentionally so I wouldn't have to walk past them. I heard them yelling at each other, then one said 'Shut up, he's got all the beer' I wouldn't be suprised if they aren't even 19 and old enough to drink. Anyway, I tried to push it out of my mind and continue my walk.

Later, I get down to this school parking lot, and a couple of cars are parked there. A bunch of kids are there talking and yelling, again. I see atleast one of them drinking out of a bottle - assuming it's beer. They quickly get in their cars and speed off. They even looked like their were drinking the way they drove..unless they're just being careless and playing around which I've also seen.

Before I could push THAT to out of my mind, some guys pull up to me and ask if I know some guy. I didn't. I was tihnking this guy was having a party because of all the traffic though. Usually, no cars this time of night, but tonight there were a lot. I saw a few more cars having 'a race' as well. They were going very fast, and very close to each other. The road isn't even that long..it just 'ends' not far from where they were speeding.

I think that's so stupid. It's like, people NEED alcohol to have fun. It's everywhere. I personally cannot stand alcohol (Not that I don't like it..I've never really tried it to know, but just the fact people seem to need it so much) I doubt I'll change my opinions on it either, it sickens me. Even if my friends tried forcing me to do it 'for fun' I'd sooner tell them to get lost then give in and get drunk or whatever. I am of age, but I felt the same for as long as I can remember. For example, those guys to me, look like complete idiots. Why would you want to reduce yourself to be like that..Maybe I'm the crazy one, cause I seem to be the only one around here who doesn't like to drink. My 'friend' (not so much my friend as a friend of a friend) thinks I'm stuck up or a goodie goodie cause of my choises. That really annoys me, but I guess I am proud I don't.

Anyway, I've rambled on for a while. What do you think of it? Does this happen a lot where you live too? (I can only imagen lol)

CountryWolf07
05-07-2004, 08:22 PM
It is STUPID to drink *AND* drive at the same time, period.

It happens once in a while here - a bunch of football players got BUSTED drinking.. they were faced by the head coach before their parents.

BCBlondie
05-07-2004, 09:20 PM
I also totally agree with you. Drinking is everywhere. There is also a lot of pot here too... I think all that stuff is totally disgusting. I've grown up with an alcoholic step-dad so I am a witness every day to what alcohol can do to a person. It's disgusting. Also trying to pressure other people into drinking or drinking and driving is complete stupidity. I don't need alcohol to have fun... I just need to be comfortable in my setting and with some close friends and we can have fun just running around doing random stuff lol. I'm not of legal drinking age yet, but even if I was I still wouldn't drink. Just the smell of alcohol makes me want to puke. So don't worry... you're not alone. ;)

Fallon
05-07-2004, 09:29 PM
It happns a LOTTT where i live.. people think ding stupid thing is kewl, because it's different or something? i don't prefer to drink very often. there are a lot of drinking problems in my family though and i don't wish to be like them.

Karen
05-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Truths from a person who chose not to drink alcohol a long time ago:

A. It seems to happen with every generation of teenagers that I've known of. Alcohol particularly, and different drugs for different eras, but booze has been around for a loooong time.

B. Most of them will eventually outgrow it. Some, of course, won't because they will be killed or kill someone else driving drunk. Sorry, it's the truth.

C. It's easier to have a good time sober - and you remember everything you've done - and what everyone else did! Good stories to tell or use for blackmail ;)

D. It's easier to not drink if you're a girl, it seems. And a lot safer. It doesn't matter how drunk a guy gets - there's no chance of him ending up unexpectedly pregnant.

E. If you are out at a bar, and don't want it obvious - or to make an issue of of being the one "not drinking" you can get your own drinks. Gingerale in a glass looks convincing as some kinds of booze. My favorite "bar drink" was getting orange juice and gingerale (which everyone assumed was a Screwdriver) or orange juice, cranberry juice and gingerale - looks like a "mixed drink" - which it is! The longer you take to drink it, the better.

trayi52
05-07-2004, 11:49 PM
Your right, it is everywhere. Here where I live, alcohol has claimed the lives of so many of our teeagers. A lot of it happening on prom night, they get out and drink and party. Or they decide to all pile up in the same car and drink and drive. It is so scary when you have a young person out and you know there are drunk drivers on the road. I guess that why I never went to bed until my kids were home.

I was pretty happy when the law changed here and they put a kerfew on 16 year olds, they had to be in by 11 p.m. unless they are working or there is some kind of school function. Then they had to have notes from their parents. They cannot have no more than 1 other teen in the car with them unless it is their sibling.

That really worked for me, when Lindsey got her licence, her kerfew was 11 at night on weekends anyway.

I do hate to see anybody drinking and driving. Its sad and causes so much heartache for everybody concerned.

You need to watch being out like that walking, your a young and pretty girl, and you just can't trust a drunk.

Willie

moosmom
05-08-2004, 09:59 PM
I remember when they changed the drinking age in CT to 18. I was already 21. I tried beer once when I was 17 in high school. I didn't go out, my best friend slept overnight and we drank in my room. I was not impressed.

I don't understand today's generation. It seems that some people (not just kids) feel it necessary to be drunk or high to have a good time.

It's sad.

PayItForward
05-09-2004, 04:45 AM
I enjoy a glass or two of wine at the weekends.

There is nothing wrong with drinking if it is in moderation, you are of age, not intending on driving or operating machinery and are in a safe enviroment.

We don't go out to pubs & clubs any more, these days we prefer nice meal out with wine (and a taxi or a good walk home)

But I agree that if I am in an unfamilar place or with people I don't know that well, I prefer to stick to fruit juice, safer that way :D

MariaM
05-10-2004, 01:12 AM
I agree. I hate drinking. You can't even remember what you did! (which I guess could be a good thing...) I'm not of age, but when I am, I'm sure I'll have a beer or something. I can't see myself getting drunk. I also don't even like the taste or smell of beer and alchohol in general. If I find I like it, sure, I'll have some. But I wouldn't be stupid with it. This kid here, when she was in grade 6 she brought alchohol to school in her purse:rolleyes: In grade 7 when she was 13 she was dating a guy who was 21 and she had been doing drugs and getting drunk. She is still the same and man, I feel sorry for people like her. I think she tried to commit suicide too...its weird. She's so pretty, so good at everything, yet, her life sucks.

trayi52
05-10-2004, 01:56 AM
Maria, that is so sad. The legal drinking age in Tennesse is 21, they let the younger ones buy cigarettes at age 18, but no buying of alcohol until age 21. Which they are always going to get it. They get their friends to buy it for them. There was three of my daughters friends came to my house while she was gone, and hinted for ME to go buy them some beer. I said Too Bad, I am not buy you any beer, so you can go out and drink and drive.

They tell me they love to get drunk, so they are getting it somewhere. I know there is a store near me that had a guy working there that let them buy beer, he said as long as they had the money they were just fine. He soon lost his job on account of that. ;)

No, I wish teens would give themselves a chance to grow up first.

Willie:)

Lixx
05-11-2004, 04:52 PM
I hate drinking, smoking, drugs all that stuff. I never understood what the draw was. Watching all those people make fools of themselves seemed so undesireable.