PDA

View Full Version : In Reply to the whole Ive had it thingy

DJFyrewolf36
05-07-2004, 05:34 PM
A while ago, I got flamed for being rude.

I acknowledged that and was apologetic for anything I said that might have offended people and reitterated *sp?* that it was indeed only my opinion and that I acknowledge that I don't know everything about everything.

I got flamed for not being sincere enough...

Oh well, at leas I feel better ;)

Something though stuck about the whole incedent. One of the moderators said that the reason we're here at all is because we have an interest in pets. If this was Insultandoffendothers.com, I'd understand why people would be so hateful, but this is PET Talk, not IHateyou talk. Maybe I'm too idealstic but I really think that people aught to accept opinions as just that, opinions. And conversely, if you say something and beleive it to be true...don't just leave people high and dry, try to add some back up information to help people see why you came to that conclusion. Personally, I think that when I got flamed, I learned something and I'm glad for the experence. I would never leave PT just because someone is upset at me...that's their feelings and I would be wrong to fly off the handle. Do animals do that? Ugh, I hope not else a kitty would be probibly clawing me to death in my sleep lol.
Thats all I'm going to say about that.

Oh and well the Bible does have a few things right ;-) but I don't claim to be an expert!

And I KNOW the whole leaving thingy was posted a while ago but I be slow lol.

catnapper
05-07-2004, 06:02 PM
I remember the whole incident regarding you. People read into things from their own perspective and that unfortunately is a dangerous thing because people can say one thing and be perceived in another way.

I didn't see any hurtful things said in your original post that would have hurt somebody, but I have never had personal experiences or ties to the "label" that was causing the insult. I took it as the joke you intended. HOWEVER, if you replaced the offending word with another that I'm particuarly sensitive to, my view of it being a joke would have been clouded by my sensitivity to the insult. Am I making ANY sense here? For example, I am heavy. I am VERY sensitive about it. If someone posted a sarcastic line about "Fatsoes", I might really be offended and hurt, and won't at all see the joke. Thats' unfortunately the biases we humans carry - consciously or not.

I *try* to give everyone the benefit of the doubt in what they're saying. I really do feel that people have good intentions on what they're posting (well, until someone gets insulted, then the gloves come off :D ) I honestly thnk its a matter of people trying to post their opinions, but not being thoughtful in their wording. We really need to be sensitive to the reality that there are people from all over the world on here. From all age groups, from all races, and all different economic situations. All we need to do is respect our differences and take the time to edit our posts before we hit Submit Reply then a whole lot of hurt feelings can be avoided.

moosmom
05-07-2004, 06:08 PM
VERY well said, Catnapper!!

trayi52
05-07-2004, 06:38 PM
I remember that as well, and I was never insulted by anythng you said!

Catnapper I agree with you.

Willie:)

DJFyrewolf36
05-07-2004, 07:56 PM
I thank you Catnapper for your post! I do agree with you wholeheartedly. People do need to show a measure of respect and try to be as nice as possible. You cant please everyone all the time but at least people can say you tried. :)

Lady's Human
05-07-2004, 09:24 PM
People tend to get far more inflammtory from behind their keyboards than they would ever be talking face to face with someone. I think that the ability to discuss something in a civil manner leaves people somewhat when they sign online, partially because of the anonymity. There is nothing discussed on these boards that should bring people to the level of insult. I disagree with people on a routine basis, but I try to do so in a civil manner. Even if you vehemently disagree with someone's opinion or point of view there is no excuse to be nasty about it.

DJFyrewolf36
05-08-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks Ladys Human :-) well said

tatsxxx11
05-08-2004, 05:29 PM
Well said, Lady's Human! I've often said the very same thing, i.e., that is a heck of a lot easier to blast someone from behind the annonimity of the keyboard than face to face. I often wonder if people would be so bold if the person they were berating was looking them in the eye.

DJFyrewolf36
05-13-2004, 12:44 AM
I think the problem is is that people just think PTers on the other end are 0's and 1's and thats all...:( that isn't right.....I wish it werent so....

People would be better off if ya know, people treated people like well...people

Sigh I AM tired lol