PDA

View Full Version : Scotter is pregnant WHAT DO I DO????

scotter is pregnant
05-07-2004, 05:32 PM
:eek: [SIZE=3][FONT=courier new][COLOR=blue]

Hi! I'am a new comer to this site and I have a very important question? I have two ginny pigs. They both were suppose to be girls but in this past two weeks I have knottiest a change in one of them that she is getting fat really fat so that is when I realized she was pregnant. I dont know what to do I dont really have the money to take her to the vet right now and I dont know how long she has been pregnant and I dnt know how long she will stay pregnant. I need help can someone help me. I just need some info. on what to do when they come how long she will be pregnant, how many she can have stuff like that.

Thanks,
Scotter is pregnant

Karen
05-07-2004, 05:54 PM
Make sure she gets plenty of good food to eat. I am sure other guinea pig moms will step in. I know they don't have a lot of babies - sometimes just one or two. You don't know how long she has been pregnant, so we cannot tell you how much longer it will be!

scotter is pregnant
05-07-2004, 06:14 PM
:D [I][SIZE=3][FONT=courier new][COLOR=blue]

Thanks Karen for the info u could give me. I belive that she is about two to three weeks pregnant but I'm not posative I know that is how long she has been so fat. lol but thanks .

cali
05-07-2004, 06:24 PM
no vet is needed, seperat the male from the female as soon as possable because guinea pigs can breed again immedietly after birth, feed the mom alfelfa hay, but the male timothy hay. give the female extra pellets, and give her lots of dark green veggies. when the babys are born the mom will take care of things, just make sure the sides of the cage are high enugh that the babys cant stick there head through the bars(they can get stuck) if all you have is a small pet store cage, that will be fine for the nursing mom, for the male, by some organizer cubes, they come in grids, and a sheet of coroplast and build a C&C cage they are large, flexable, collapsable, and cheap. when the babys are 3 weeks old(or when the males start making Rumbling sounds and wiggling their butts) move them to the C&C cage with their dad. here is a website that tells you how to make a C&C cage. http://www.guineapigcages.com/ and here is a link to our guinea pigs site and you can check out our piggies, and there baby pics, and missy's page has pics of her pregnant.
http://users.accesscomm.ca/k9furkids/gp/index2.html

aly
05-07-2004, 06:27 PM
There is a lot of info on this site ... Scroll about halfway down the page

http://guinealynx.info/breeding.html

scotter is pregnant
05-07-2004, 09:51 PM
Thank u all for the info. It was a lot of help I have a cuople questions though.
.When scotter goes in to layber will she make a lot a noice to let me know?
.Should I move the male now or wait till she has the baby's?
.What should I ues for bedding?
.What should I use to give them a bath?
.And coroplast what exactly is that and if it comes in a flat sheet then how do I get it shaped into a box?
.Should I put something in the cage for her to mak ea nest with or do they not do that?
.Scotter is a short hair tax is a long hair will they look like her or him?
.What kind of toys do they play with if any?
.And last but not leaset should i clip there toe nails taz my male ginny has very long toenails?

Thank you for ur help hope to here from u soon.:)

guster girl
05-07-2004, 10:00 PM
I know you don't want to use pine or cedar shavings for the bedding. If I'm wrong, someone will surely correct me. :) I use Carefresh pet bedding. It's recycled paper, with no inks or dyes or fragrance. And, it's really absorbant. But, you'll get more ideas and stuff by searching online, and, I'm sure others will tell you more.

I'd just use tepid water for bathtime, if it's necessary to bathe them. But, they also make bunny bath shampoo that's safe to use on guinea pigs. I used it on mine a couple of times. Just a tiny amount, and, if you do use any kind of shampoo, make sure to rinse, rinse, rinse! Don't get water in their ears or shampoo in their eyes.

And, you should clip their nails. I used to just use regular nail clippers or small dog or cat clippers. They have nerves in their nails, just like dogs and cats, so, be careful! If you're not comfortable doing it, call some groomers or your vet to see what they would charge. :) And, they can give you advice, too.

cali
05-07-2004, 11:54 PM
When scotter goes in to layber will she make a lot a noice to let me know?
piggies generally dont want anyone to watch when they have babys, missy was not to happy with us when we saw her give birth to her second litter, they do just fine on their own problems are pretty unlikley.

.Should I move the male now or wait till she has the baby's?
now, the male can breed the female again immedietly after the babys are born

.What should I ues for bedding?
towels and a cozy(pinned faux fur, the mom likes to snuggle in these wheile giving birth.

.What should I use to give them a bath?
nothing, no bath when pregnant or young babys to stressfull, on normal times, you can use a mild baby shampoo

.And coroplast what exactly is that and if it comes in a flat sheet
then how do I get it shaped into a box? have you ever made a card box? where you cut small parts of the card and fold the edges up and over eachother? the guinea pig cages link I gave you has instruction on how to cut and measure the coroplast. and everything else you need to know about making them.

.Should I put something in the cage for her to mak ea nest with or do they not do that?
take a rectangle of faux fur, fold it over 3 ways so that there is the fury parts on the top and bottom of the inside, and fuzzy on the top as well, I know missy preefured to hide in a cozy while giving birth

.Scotter is a short hair tax is a long hair will they look like her or him? either or neither, it was the same with mine, missy is a silky and friskit is a short hair, in the first litter 2 ended up long haired, and 1 ended up with hair shorter then friskits. the second litter, had only two fully long haired, and one was born with curly hair, and the rest with half long half short.

.What kind of toys do they play with if any?
that depends on the piggies but I would try bird toys, like parrot toys with bells and such on them

.And last but not leaset should i clip there toe nails taz my male ginny has very long toenails? yes, you can use human nail clippers for that just make sure the blads are sharp otherwise they will crush the nail

scotter is pregnant
05-08-2004, 12:19 AM
[I][SIZE=3][FONT=times new roman][COLOR=blue]

;) Thank u guys so much. U guys r angels for helping me out. I have learnd alot from u. I am going out as soon as posable and getting every thing I need and more I like to spoole my pets.Thank u guys so much again I dont know what I would do if I hadent found this site. I have another question does any one know were I can get the hay I need for cheep I dont have alot of money.

Thanks So Much,
Misty and Scotter:p

cali
05-08-2004, 09:55 AM
call around to farms and such, they are often willing to sell you a bale for $4, just explain that its for your guinea pigs, never met one that did not understand yet :D