PDA

View Full Version : Son got lost in London........

carole
05-06-2004, 10:08 PM
I got an email from my Son Scott today, he had the most horrible experience , he left Romsey at 12 midday on his courier run to London, and never got back until 11 pm, it was a very long day, and he got lost, he say's he will never drive in London again, he is a good confident driver, but not used to a big city like that, he does not even like driving in Auckland, I can imagine how scarey it was for him.

I have a funny feeling his courier driver days will be limited, he will look for something else, it really is very hard to be dumped in a huge city and to be expected to find your way around.

Oh well its all life experiences for him, some good, some not so good.

captain
05-06-2004, 11:10 PM
Yes - I had a friend who did the same thing!!

They eventually only ever used the Tube!

trayi52
05-06-2004, 11:16 PM
That would scare me too. I use to be able to drive in these big cities, but I just can't do it anymore. I can do interstates, but I hate going downtown!:eek:

He's young and he will do okay, I used to worry about my son driving an 18 wheeler through these large cities, but he acts like its nothing at all now. But of course I still worry, especially when I watch the news and see a wreck involving a truck.

Willie

ramanth
05-07-2004, 10:41 AM
I hate being lost. :(

I'm glad he eventually found his way home okay.

Randi
05-07-2004, 10:52 AM
Driving in London is a nightmare!!! Someone ought to have warned him! I hope your son is feeling back to normal. ;)

There are places called "Park and Ride" it's a really good idea to use them and take the tube or bus the last bit! :)

Barbara
05-07-2004, 01:22 PM
Sorry: different opinion here. Sometimes you have to get lost to find your way:D

Did I ever tell you that I learned to drive in Casablanca? It's true and it made me safe for most of the cities worldwide;)

Edwina's Secretary
05-07-2004, 01:58 PM
Casablanca! I bet that would make finding your way around Munich a snap!

My only problem driving in London is they drive on the wrong side of the street...;) :rolleyes:

My husband would agree with you Barbara. When his son got his license (at 16), Don made him drive through downtown Chicago...and on the expressway.

FizzGiggs_Mommy
05-07-2004, 02:06 PM
I make my hubby drive when ever we go into the city. He is much more agressive then me. He drives I hide my head and hold on tight :eek:

Fallon
05-07-2004, 02:08 PM
I hate being lost, but it seems like it happens to me often anyway. I'm glad he got home okay.

Randi
05-07-2004, 02:10 PM
Originally posted by Edwina's Secretary
When his son got his license (at 16), Don made him drive through downtown Chicago...and on the expressway.
That's the way to do it!!

I must admit, I don't have a lot of respect for people with a drivers license who dare only drive in the country roads.

My friends in London is not "afraid" of driving there, it's just that it takes hours to get from A to B - and it's expensive as well.

carole
05-07-2004, 03:23 PM
My son never drives in the country, we live in a city, but Hamilton has a population of only like 120,000 so you can see the difference, the traffic here is minimal.,in comparison, Auckland our bigger city by far has a lot of traffic, he has only driven there about twice.

I just think it was a bit tough for his first experience,but yes he made it back, and that is the main thing, he was put in the deep end so to speak, but he came through, I just think it was an experience he would rather have not been through, but he is tough and he will be fine.:)