PDA

View Full Version : CDs & DVDs may not "LAST" as Long as you'd like ~

Cinder & Smoke
05-06-2004, 07:46 PM
:eek:

Didn't "they" tell us that by saving our Photos on CDs and DVDs ~
that they'd be *safe* and *last forEVER* ??

Maybe NOT says this article on USA Today >>

CDs and DVDs not so immortal after all (http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2004-05-05-disc-rot_x.htm)

It's a Copyrighted article, so I won't copy it...
but it IS worth a read!

The article talks about "CD Rot" -
"a gradual deterioration of the data-carrying layer of a CD."

There are several *tips* offered on safe handling and
how to preserve and lengthen the life of CDs and DVDs
(both record-once and Re-recordables).

Maybe 35mm wasn't so bad, after all ~
at least the Film Negatives didn't :eek: "Rot"!

/s/ Phred

Karen
05-06-2004, 07:54 PM
Film negatives do decay - some rather badly, depending on the type of plastic used to create them.

We do have glass negatives from my grandmother's early photography. Those are incredibly delicate, difficult to store safely, but are more likely to still be printable after 90 or so years than film negs.

Redundant backups on varying media seems safest to me! Sigh.

Laura's Babies
05-07-2004, 08:47 AM
I read about that on the internet some time ago so I have been making copies of my stuff after I have had them awhile, ESPECIALLY the recovery CD's for my computers and my favorite programs that I use.

catnapper
05-07-2004, 09:13 AM
I've heard of this too. I save everything on my computer, online AND on a CD. Can't be too safe! I've lost a lot of data in my life for not having the proper backups and I'm getting to the point where I'm going to make duplicates of all my photos on CD!

catnapper
05-07-2004, 09:13 AM
I've heard of this too. I save everything on my computer, online AND on a CD. Can't be too safe! I've lost a lot of data in my life for not having the proper backups and I'm getting to the point where I'm going to make duplicates of all my photos on CD!

binka_nugget
05-07-2004, 09:49 AM
I've read some about that too. All my pictures from my digitals are burned onto a cd; I make a new one every 6 months or so just to be on the safe side. They're in a cupboard in their own casing without any drawing, marking, or anything else in the case aside from the cd.