PDA

View Full Version : Baby Coon

Laura's Babies
05-05-2004, 10:41 PM
My friends son went on a EMS call tonight and ended up with a baby coon that was motherless. Dogs ran the mother off and the poor baby was all alone. LOOKIE here! He seems to be only about a week old, a male and he named him Ringo..

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p41ab766a4695f0d05b03bd920e10cd6c/f8c54700.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid115/p55cddd2725fefb5dd5e6b227e351a9ba/f8c546f7.jpg

Uabassoon
05-05-2004, 10:45 PM
Awww he's so cute!

trayi52
05-05-2004, 10:51 PM
How cute! I used to have a pet coon. That was the sweetest little thing, she just had one problem, she wanted to steal my earrings when I held her. She would take those cute little hand and try her best to pull my earrings off my ears.

Ringo is so tiny and so cute!

Willie:)

Karen
05-05-2004, 10:54 PM
Oh, goodness! Do you have rehab/rescue experience with raccoons? So teeny and sweet!

Logan
05-05-2004, 10:58 PM
One of the ladies over at our MSN Golden Retriever Group is raising 4 baby coons for her local rehab center....she is exhausted, so get ready, but she says it is very much worth the extra effort and lack of sleep!

I hope you can get some good advice from a rehab center while you help this little one make his way into life.

Laura's Babies
05-05-2004, 10:59 PM
Immediate call to the vet was palced and he has researched it on the web. Pray he makes it and lives a long happy life! So cute, so sweet and so helpless.

luckies4me
05-06-2004, 10:17 AM
He NEEDS to go to a rehab center. Baby coons have very delicate digestive systems. Without a license from the Fish and Wildlife it is illegal to rehab wild animals without a permit, unless working under another licensed rehabber through the Fish and Game.

Racoons do not make great pets so I am hoping he will find someone experienced to help him care for the coon and set him free when he gets older. He needs as little human interaction as possible. There is also a very high chance this baby is infected with distemper, rabies and worse yet, roundworms. All coons should be dewormed as soon as possible if being in a domestic situation. Roundworms from coons are highly contagious and can be transferred to both cats, dogs and humans so it's vital he keeps a very strigent cleaning regimen after caring for this little one. Coon roundworms are about the most fatal roundworms you can get and claim hundreds of dogs and cats lives a year.

If it is not illegal to keep coons in his area and he is planning to keep it, it must be neutered at a very early age in order to avoid sexual agression. I have raised many coons, and have had two domestic coons in my company (both female who got along wonderfully) but have seen too many turn agressive come mating season, and it's not pretty. But I am hoping he does what is best for the coon and set it free, where it belongs.

Laura's Babies
05-06-2004, 01:54 PM
Hay Lucky4me, My friend has been on the phone all morning and someone has been found to rehab the baby and get it ready to go back into the wild, liscened by our state to do it..

luckies4me
05-06-2004, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by Laura's Babies
Hay Lucky4me, My friend has been on the phone all morning and someone has been found to rehab the baby and get it ready to go back into the wild, liscened by our state to do it..

That is great! I hope the little coon makes it! :D

Fallon
05-06-2004, 02:14 PM
very cute, you're lucky to have it!

QueenScoopalot
05-06-2004, 05:47 PM
I wonder if the mother has come back searching? They are very devoted mothers, and chances are after the initial dog encounter, she came back looking. I had a pair a long time ago that were orphaned, but not as young as the one pictured. You do really need to find someone experienced in taking care of wild orphans, and let them care for and release the baby when it's old enough. Raccoons are very destructive if kept as "pet" which they shouldn't be. I have proof...my brothers house was trashed when he agreed to take my orphans. He was on a farm, so the babys moved to the outside, and eventual release.

Lucky's Maw Maw
05-08-2004, 11:44 AM
Hey all.....I am the grandmother to the baby coon that Laura of Laura's babies told you about. Just wanted all that posted to know the lastest on Ringo. Friday morning I "grandcoon" sat and kept him fed and warm while searching for the "right" answer for his little life. It came in the form of a rehabilitator in our area only about 30 minutes from my home. She was excited to know that our state vet school had given me her name. She was also excited that we called her and after telling her all the circumstances of our obtaning Ringo and asking what we did with him now, she said for us to bring him to her. I got directions with a heavy heart because all of us had fallen in love with him already, but knowing this was right for him. He was the important one in this case. I have 5 children, all grown, and they all had to rush over and see this little marvel. As soon as I got to Leslie's house, the rehab/rescuer, I was completely at ease, assured I had done exactly the right thing for Ringo. He know has 4 brothers and sisters where he will learn how to be a "raccon" since they will all be together in the same "litter". She lives on a glorious place with woods at her back door and said that it will be fall before she lets all the little coons go. They have to be at least 4 months old before they come off of Kitty milk and on a regular diet. She starts them on wet Kibbles & Bits covered in milk and then goes from there. After they are big enough, she does a "soft" release in her back yard. Sometimes they return for a few days and then they just eventually stay gone....back to where they are trully beautiful creatures. We can call or email her to find out about him and before she releases him, we can go visit him, if we want, just to see him all grown up. I think we will probably just check on him from time to time but let him be a coon. Thank for all of your very nice and appreciated advice. We were able to make a very wise decision from the postings we read. We know that he will someday be thankful for what we did when he is catching a fish in the stream and he is his own "COON". :)

ChrisH
05-08-2004, 01:07 PM
Just read this thread and, oh, how I love a happy ending!:) Bless you for rescuing Ringo and finding the right place for him. :)

Amber
05-08-2004, 02:19 PM
So cute!

My brothers friend has a racoon named Ringo too. He is such a character! :p

Laura's Babies
05-08-2004, 03:11 PM
OK Folks! Notice that, that was Lucky's Maw Maw's FIRST post!! Give her a warm PT welcome as I know you can do! She is a GREAT Lady and I am so blessed to have her as a friend. Her Grandkitty, Lucky is one beautiful guy and I love him to death!
****KISSES LUCKY*****

QueenScoopalot
05-08-2004, 03:18 PM
Awwww! I love happy endings! :) Glad you did the right thing for Ringo. Poor little thing needs someone who understands he needs to learn to be self sufficient, and go on to make little Ringos of his or her own. ;) I hope you bring the camera along for visits to the nursery. You know we all love pictures. :) :) :) Jan

Lucky's Maw Maw
05-19-2004, 12:15 AM
To all that are curious about Ringo......

I just got an email about Ringo from the rehab/rescue lady. She said his ears are now open and his eyes opened just yesterday. I have asked her to let me come take new pictures and I am waiting for a reply. I do have one from about a week ago that I will post later on. She said he is eating like a little pig and growing nicely. Just wanted to update you all.

Kfamr
05-19-2004, 07:31 PM
How adorable! I hope to see new pictures!

Welcome to PT Lucky's Mawmaw!

Lucky's Maw Maw
05-20-2004, 12:38 AM
To all who have read these postings about our baby coon, I have started his own thread. The link is below and I have added a new picture.

Please take a look at him ........

http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49593