PDA

View Full Version : Just want to say thank you for the thoughts and prayers

jazzcat
05-05-2004, 10:22 AM
I really appreciate everyone's kind words and support about the death of my mother.

The funeral and burial was yesterday afternoon. It was a very nice service and a beautiful day, she would have been pleased.

Today starts another hard part, we have to decide what to do about my father. He has memory problems, suffers from light dementia and may be in the early stages of Alzheimer's. I think my siblings and I have been dreading this almost more than the funeral. We have to act fast because my two brothers and sister are all leaving by the weekend. Of course he can live with me but I'm afraid taking him away from his house will be the beginning of the end.

Please keep the prayers coming that we may find the best solution.

Thank you everyone.

ramanth
05-05-2004, 10:42 AM
*HUGS*

I wish you the best of luck in whatever is decided.

sirrahbed
05-05-2004, 11:10 AM
((((((((LORI))))))))) Good to see you back. You are in my prayers every day. YES many tough decisions are ahead of you, but one at a time is all you can do. So many tough decisions though....

emily_the_spoiled
05-05-2004, 12:14 PM
If there is a college or university near by you might offer free rent for someone to live with your father. Then have help come in during the day to take care of any needs, like cooking, cleaning, and medications.

This way you help a poor student, but your father is also allowed to stay in his own house a little longer.

I know that this is not an easy decision and please do not feel bad for any choice you make.

Miss Meow
05-05-2004, 04:08 PM
I'm glad you're back, but so sorry to hear that your father is facing such a terrible disease.

I hope you and your family can find the right decision for his care. {{{hugs}}}

tatsxxx11
05-05-2004, 04:29 PM
These are some of the most difficult decisions we, as children of elderly parents have to face:( My heart goes out to you and your family during this very sad time. I agree with you, that moving him out of his familiar surroundings right now might be very upsetting and disorienting to him. Hopefully you can find someone to help out with some basic care so that he can remain at home. My thoughts and prayers are with you and my most heartfelt sympathies on the passing of your mom. Love, Sandra

aly
05-05-2004, 04:57 PM
Lori,

I am continuing to pray for you and your family, especially your father.

***HUGS***

krazyaboutkatz
05-05-2004, 11:58 PM
Lori, I'm sorry to hear about your fathers health. May you be able to find a good solution for his care. Prayers and positive thoughts are being sent your way. Please take care.

gini
05-06-2004, 01:08 AM
You have my prayers also. Please try to take it minute by minute and solutions will reveal themselves.

My heart goes out to you in the loss of your Mother and having to deal with your father at the same time. I have a friend who is in exactly the same position as you - except it is her Mother who needs the care and attention. It is not an easy time for you.

I hope that your family will be there for you and support you - it is so important.

trayi52
05-06-2004, 01:38 AM
I was very sorry to hear of your mothers passing, I know how hard it is to lose a parent.

I truly do hope you find a solution to help your dad.

You remain in my thoughts and prayers.

Willie

Fallon
05-06-2004, 09:46 AM
good luck in choose the right thing to do. i know you will if you put your heart into it.

ChrisH
05-08-2004, 12:32 PM
Keeping you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Hugs
Chris

Cataholic
05-08-2004, 03:25 PM
Such a sad time. Know that so many of us are praying for you and your family.

Randi
05-08-2004, 03:59 PM
I'm so sorry that you after having lost your mother, also have to face this sad situation with your father. :( I think it will be a bad idea to have your father move at this point, especially if he has lived there for a long time.

I hope you can find someone trustworthy to look after him in his own home.

I wish you all the best in finding the right solution. Whatever you do, I'm sure your heart is there. :)

Hugs from,
Randi

Russian Blue
05-08-2004, 04:12 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss and the hard decisions that now must be made concerning your dad.

Have you considered contacting the Alzheimers Society in your area for support or suggestions? There may be a network available in your area that could help you and your father during this difficult time.

((( sending hugs & strength to you )))

Karen
05-08-2004, 04:47 PM
Prayers going out to your whole extended family. Has your Dad been evaluated by a medical professional as to Alzheimers, or what else might be happening with him? What kind of assistance is available from the local city/town government? Would he be okay, for example, with Meals on Wheels and a home health aid visiting a couple times a week? We went through this with my beloved Great Aunt. The city of Newton, where we live, has excellent Elder Care people, and their visits, and a visiting Nurse, allowed to her stay in her own home much longer than she otherwise would have been able to. She did end up in a nursing home eventually, but it was done with much care and planning, and my Aunt was able to be a part of it, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been.

Ask me anything you want. Been there, done that. Ain't easy.