PDA

View Full Version : I have the new cat and she keeps me up!

annibale16
03-29-2001, 01:55 PM
I got Maddie, the cat I was telling I was going to adopt from the lady with the baby.I have had her 3 nights now.
She is a grey persian, 5 years old. She is wonderful, but she is getting up at 3am every night and she cries and crawls all over me. Does anyone know why she might be getting up at night? She goes back to sleep around 6am when I have to get up!!
I thought that maybe the previous owner had to get up with the baby at that time every night and wouldn't it be funny if Maddie was trying to wake me up to feed the baby?!!!

carmel horgan
03-29-2001, 04:53 PM
[QUOTE]SHE IS OBVIOUSLY FOLLOWING A PATTERN OF LEARNED BEHAVIOUR I.E ACTIVITY MUST START UP IN HER OLD ABODE AT 3.00....YOU WILL HAVE TO TEACH HER TO ADAPT TO A NEW SLEEPING PATTERN. I WOULD ADVISE PUTTING HER IN ANOTHER PLACE IF SHE WAKES AND DISTURBS YOU.
THE PATTERN WILL PROBABLY BE BROKEN AFTER A FEW NIGHTS.
REGARDS
C

aly
03-29-2001, 05:06 PM
She also might still be adapting to her new home. I've moved with Shiloh two times and each time we were in a new place, she'd meow at all hours of the night. I remember trying to fall back asleep with my fingers in my ears. She stopped this after a week or so though.

Gio
03-30-2001, 05:44 AM
One of my cats, who usually is a little angel at night, she goes to sleep when I do (on my bed) and she rarely moves before 7 when I get up. When I have been away though she wakes me up at night, she just wants a bit of a cuddle, she gives me a few kisses and then goes back to sleep and it only happens the first night I am back. I suppose it's a way to check that I am still there. She never spends the night on her own since my parents come to live with me for part of the year I arrange to go away then but she is very attached to me.

Perhaps Maddie still need some time to adjust; I believe that a change of owner can be sometimes be disturbing for them as well.

Good luck

[This message has been edited by Gio (edited March 30, 2001).]

annibale16
03-30-2001, 08:31 AM
To Spencerthelion
Maddie (or more formally named Madeliene)
is a silver grey with a patch of biege on her forehead. She has big yellow eyes. She is very pretty and very friendly to me considering that I took her away from her home of 5 years and brought her to a strange place. She is very sweet and I think we are going to get along just fine.
Thanks for all the others who have given suggestions. I am sure things will settle down once she gets used to her new home.