PDA

View Full Version : Dogoftheday picture? And biting, and Goodboy!

MariaM
05-04-2004, 08:01 PM
Which picture/s should I use? I am going to submit an entry for Major for Dog of the Day. Or...should I get a totally new picture? Tell me what you think! (I will be cropping some so take that into considertion( :)
Picture #1 - Major sitting
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1112.jpg
Picture #2 - Major being Handsome
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1120.jpg
Picture #3 - Sad Eyes
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1202.jpg
Picture #4 - On his Back
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1211.jpg

Picture #5 - Landscape Major on step
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1259.jpg
Picture #6 - Portrait on Step
http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1260.jpg

And, also, have any advice on chewing? Sometimes Major is fine but then he will start baring his teeth, just in a playful manner though. Sometimes he grabs on too our clothes and hands/feet. Sometimes he will just attack, climb up our legs and start chewing. I tell him sit, he usually doesn't so I say sit and sorta make him sit. Then he just jumps up again. Sometimes he's fine, it seems he has phases almost.

I was down here on the computer earlier, and I heard Major barking. I was like, "Well, he'll stop in a few seconds or so" but he didn't so I went up to check on him. THis is how it goes. He got out of the fence, and not only did he find his way back to the gate again, he wanted to come in. Not only did he want to come in, he was yelping and whining to come in. Not only was he whining and yelping to come in, he was doing that even though I had yelled at him recently! Yay! That made me feel happy! I think it would be safe to leave the gate open, as in, he wouldnt' run away. However, there is the chance that he could follow someone, and get hit. I'm sure he would chase a cat as well.

:D

Edit: I'm sorta *cough* looking for a new signature...:p

Kfamr
05-04-2004, 08:31 PM
I'd wait until he gets older.

I submitted Nala when she was young, and since it may/may not take a while for his turn (since they do it in no specific order, you never know!) he'd be all grown up and the age and photo would be different. I ended up re-submitting Nala because she was MUCH older and MUCH bigger compared to when I first nominated her.

I really wish he wasn't an outside dog. :mad: :(

I have a signature thread in General.

MariaM
05-04-2004, 08:41 PM
Ok Thanks

Desert Arabian
05-04-2004, 09:09 PM
Major is chewing because:

1) He's part Labrador Retriever, and that is all Labradors do is chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, chew, and um, chew.

2) He's a puppy and he is teething.

3) He is begging for the attention he is not getting.

You need to get him lots of toys to chew on, such as ropes, rubber kongs, squeeky toys, rawhides, etc. Not only to help him teethe, but also to keep him buisy since he doesn't have that much human interaction. Get tons and tons and tons and tons of toys, as many as you can afford- so he can stay occupied and chew on them.

Amen to what Kay said- "I really wish he wasn't an outdoor dog" MariaM, since your dog is an outdoor dog it is going to be extremely stressful on Major especially since he is a puppy. Dogs are extremely social, they are supposed to be in a pack, they get extremely sad, lonely, and depressed when they are alone. I feel so bad for Major. Can't you see that he is YEARNING to be with people if he is sitting at the door whining his head off!?!?!?! Since he is a puppy and having to live outdoors, not getting the full attention an indoor puppy would, do not be suprised when Major developes bad behvaiors when he gets older- it is quite possible it will happen- just wanted to give a 'heads-up'. :(

I'm sorry if I come off as rude, but I am really afraid for your dog. Why on Earth would you leave a gate open so a puppy could roam!? Why does it make you happy that your dog is whining because it is sad and upset!? :( :mad:

When do you plan on taking Major to puppy training classes- they can give you advise on the chewing too.

TOYS! Get tons of toys! And get him enrolled in a puppy class.

MariaM
05-04-2004, 09:11 PM
He doesn't sit at the door and whine! Why does almost every thread I post lead to this?:mad:

MariaM
05-04-2004, 09:17 PM
Sorry, I was just in a bad mood.
I know pupppies chew, I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas for me to discipline him nicely, but so he gets the point.

Desert Arabian
05-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
He doesn't sit at the door and whine! Why does almost every thread I post lead to this?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MariaM
I was down here on the computer earlier, and I heard Major barking. I was like, "Well, he'll stop in a few seconds or so" but he didn't so I went up to check on him. THis is how it goes. He got out of the fence, and not only did he find his way back to the gate again, he wanted to come in. Not only did he want to come in, he was yelping and whining to come in. Not only was he whining and yelping to come in, he was doing that even though I had yelled at him recently! Yay! That made me feel happy! I think it would be safe to leave the gate open, as in, he wouldnt' run away. However, there is the chance that he could follow someone, and get hit. I'm sure he would chase a cat as well.

I'm sorry MariaM, but I thought I read in you original post that he was whining and yelping to come in? :confused:

If that's not what you meant, sorry, didn't mean to upset you! I'm just worried about your pupper! :o :) I get kind confused from time to time, lol. :o

Desert Arabian
05-04-2004, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by MariaM
Sorry, I was just in a bad mood.
I know pupppies chew, I was just wondering if you guys had any ideas for me to discipline him nicely, but so he gets the point.

Take him to a puppy class! They will show you everything you need to know about disciplining and correcting a puppies bad behvaior. They will work with both the puppy and owner and train them both. :D

MariaM
05-04-2004, 09:22 PM
I meant he was whining and yelping to come in the backyard since he got out and was stuck in the front yard. Sorry to confuse you.
Don't worry, my pupper is doing good. I admit, not as good as he could be, (if he was inside) but as good as he could be under the circumstances. I try to give him a lot of attention, and look things up concerning him on the internet..;)

molucass
05-04-2004, 09:30 PM
All I want to say is that, your puppy is beautiful! I love the last 2 pics...

In my opinion, you should crop and send one of those 2 in.

~Cori

MariaM
05-04-2004, 09:42 PM
Thank you, Thank you and uh..yeah Thank you!:) :)

Cookiebaker
05-05-2004, 06:36 AM
MariaM, I don't want to hurt your feelings so please dont' take this the wrong way.

In training a dog, you have to be 100% consistant. If you let the dog bark and yip sometimes, and discipline him sometimes but not others, he's going to do it all the more for all the times he gets away with it. Same with biting and nipping. No matter HOW you decide to discipline or reward him, you HAVE to do it 100% of the time. Not just when you feel like it. :p And biting/nipping behaviour only gets worse if it is ignored.

The truth of the matter is, it is HARD to be consistant when he is outside and you are up in your room. That means that it is going to be that much harder and that much more work on your part. Labs are playful and oh-so-energetic, and cannot be ignored. When you ignore them, they turn nawtee, and start chewing, and barking, and biting, all for attention. (Believe me, I've been through it all, especially with Malone!)

Puppy classes are definitely a good thing. Also, EXCERCISE EXERCISE EXERCISE. Keep him occupied playing and running around. He isn't going to play and run around by himself, he needs to be stimulated to play. Go for long walks, and in general pay him lots of attention. That's what he is craving for, and that is going to be answer to a lot of your problems.

I found with Malone that he didn't just "love" me. I had to earn his friendship by giving him lots of attention. The more you give him, the more he gives back.

I hope this helps you. Please don't think that I am being harsh or critical. Please play with Major and give him lots of attention. THAT IS WHAT HE NEEDS!!!!

And is it sometimes frustrtating?? YOU BET! But the reward in the end is SOOOO worth it!!

If you have any questions, problems, or frustrations, feel free to ask. I've been through a LOT of what you are going through, and not so very long ago. ;)

Cookiebaker
05-05-2004, 06:39 AM
p.s. I pick THIS picture for dotd. Major is ABSOLUTE cuteness!! :)

http://img47.photobucket.com/albums/v144/HuckleberryPup/PDR_1202.jpg

Pam
05-05-2004, 06:42 AM
Cookiebaker has given you some really good advice. It's always helpful to have someone who "has been there" give you some pointers - sort of like a Pet Talk Support Group! :) I think all of the pictures of Major are precious. I know that often Karen/Paul will use two pictures for Dog/Cat/Pet of the Day. You can submit a couple of them. My Trevor was Cat of the Day a while ago and I submitted two pictures and both were used. :)