PDA

View Full Version : Raisins and Grapes can be toxic

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-04-2004, 05:55 AM
This article (http://www.snopes.com/critters/crusader/raisins.asp) explains that EVEN A TINY QUANTITY of grapes or raisins can kill a dog.

I didn't know this (I have a dog in South Africa who LOVES fruit, although she does not often get given any - scarey thought - I am glad it didn't harm her!

clara4457
05-04-2004, 06:23 AM
I saw this last week. It's frightening, because many people use raisins as training treats. :eek: I had no idea until I read the article that they could be toxic to some dogs. Very good to know.

Pam
05-04-2004, 06:25 AM
Thank you for posting this! I had read another post about raisins and grapes maybe a year or so ago and was so grateful to be alerted to the danger. Occasionally in the past I had tossed a grape or two to every dog I have ever had and thank God there were no problems, but I sure stopped doing it since reading these articles! :eek: Just recently I was eating a bowl of Raisin Bran and I was going to let Bella lick up the remaining milk in my bowl (how can one ignore those pleading eyes :) ) when I noticed a couple of raisins still floating in the milk. I scooped them out right away and then gave her the bowl. (I know I am a sucker and she has me tightly wrapped around her paws.) :p

anna_66
05-04-2004, 08:14 AM
Thanks for posting this.
I also noticed that they list macadamia nuts...I had no idea!

Blustang24
05-04-2004, 09:03 AM
I had NO idea either!!! YIKES! :eek: :eek: :eek: I always give Honey some green grapes when I get them, which I suppose isn't all too often, but still. I always have to pinch them for her because she won't bite it open herself. Hmm..I guess no more grapes Honey! Thanks for the article.