PDA

View Full Version : Crazy guy!!!!

DogLover9501
05-03-2004, 06:35 PM
OMG This guy thats a friend of my cousin's..Jeff, got a rottweiler puppy who is about 4-5 months old.

The puppy has a tail, and Jeff said he wanted it docked, then said he heard you can put an elastic band on their tail and when it cuts off the circulation it'll go numb and fall off :eek: I have never heard anything so weird, do people actually do this?!?!:mad:

Then he said he would "FIND SOMEONE" to do it :mad:

I do like rottweilers tails, but I dont think it is THAT important, he is way too old, Jasper's was done at 3 days of age!!!

This Jeff guy is so stupid and also hard headed, doesn't take care of his own son so why would he take care of a dog?

How do I get through to this guy???? :( :mad:

carole
05-03-2004, 06:58 PM
I know nothing about docking dogs, but what you described is how they dock lambs here in NZ, its not a practice that has stopped, I am not sure if it is cruel or not, but it sure sounds it to me, keep trying with the communication and hopefully in time you will get through, I am certain there must be a more humane way than that, shudders at the thought. GOOD LUCK.

DogLover9501
05-03-2004, 07:24 PM
I know, I think the elastic band thing sounds pretty painfull and also not too healthy!

I don't know how much talking to him will help, or if it will at all, he could have tried something by now :mad:

Amber
05-03-2004, 07:48 PM
Is pretty nasty, as I have expirenced it.

When I was younger, and we lived at our old house, there was this brown mix puppy. That was not taken care of. He always escaped his house. anyways, this dog used to have a long tail, but it's dumb owners put a rubber band around it. Well, when it was cuting off all the circulation it started loosing all the hair on the tail that was being cut off. It then got moldy, and infected. (I can remember it turning a brown color) Everyone was very worried about this puppy. I remember alot of kids being terrified of it. I wasn't, I felt terrible for it. I'm not sure what happened to the little thing. Hope its well. :(

I think the only exception for a dogs tail to be docked is by a responsible breeder (that knows what they are doing) or a vet.
when it's young.

dappledoxie
05-03-2004, 09:04 PM
I've heard of the band thing before too for the tails and other things. :( Sounds awful to me. Poor pup, I hope he comes to his senses soon and realizes that the pup is too old to go through that now, or at least I think so. At work today we had a litter of JRTs come in to have their tails docked and they are only like a few days old. So there I can understand. Niki had her's done at a few days of age too. Poor little rotty.... :(

DogLover9501
05-03-2004, 09:24 PM
Yeah it sounds so awful, I will hopefully go see the puppy tomorrow, and talk to him more about it.

I feel like Im trying to educate a little kid and the guy is like 22-25 years old :rolleyes:

DogLover9501
05-03-2004, 09:34 PM
Also I forgot to add something...

The guy also said "Rottweilers don't have long tails :rolleyes: what kind of Rottie would he be without the "RIGHT" tail"

:mad: :rolleyes: :( :mad:

anna_66
05-04-2004, 08:40 AM
First let me say, this guy sounds like an idiot:rolleyes:

I know on newborn puppies they put bands on their tails and they end up falling off, but not when they are 4-5 months old!
I hope you can talk some sense into him.

Just a sidenote...

The people we got Angus from used a butcher knife to cut his tail off:eek: So needless to say his tail was cut way too short and it never healed right:(

DogLover9501
05-04-2004, 08:45 AM
Anna! A butcher knife?! I hope this Jeff guy doesn't think of anything like that :eek:

Also, I bet some breeders do that rubber band thing, but Jasper had his done by a vet at 3 days of age.

I talked to Scott(my cousin, whos "friends" with Jeff) and he said he was trying to get someone to do it for him, how I don't know, and my cousin Scott isn't much help, as he's not much smarter and is not much more of a dog lover than Jeff :rolleyes:

Scott gets a puppy(usually a pitbull) EVERYTIME he comes home(from BC...he always says hes home for good) Then, like always, he decide's to leave again, and then yet another pitbull puppy, is just passed around from home to home or left outside because of my stupid, moronic cousin Scott, so I don't see Scott being any help, I may have to do this on my own.

lovemyshiba
05-04-2004, 10:39 AM
Ask this idiot how he would feel if we were to put a rubber band around one of his fingers (or another important body part:eek: ), and cut off the circulation until it fell off.

He sounds like a very irresponsible pet owner, I hope you can get through to him.

Yes, rotties traditionally have nubs, but if the tails aren't docked when they are very young, there's no reason to do it. Why did he get this dog if all he wanted to do was hurt it?? I'm sure he could have found plenty of rotties with their tails already docked--he is a sick individual.

Tonya
05-04-2004, 12:20 PM
What an idiot! I'm sure he'd be sucessful with getting rid of the tail...but like the others said, it could be painful...and what about the infections?!

I am not a huge fan of docking anyways. I think it looks good, but I couldn't do it to one of my pets. So, I'm indecisive about that, but the least he could do is do it properly with vet care.

Andiphant
05-04-2004, 12:22 PM
My grandpa uses rubber band to castrate male calves when they are first born but I never heard of doing it to a poor doggies tail. That sounds terrible, especially the description of it getting rotten and moldy! yikes.

Would you consider reporting him to the humane society?

Is it possible to get it done by a vet at this age?

RICHARD
05-04-2004, 01:16 PM
Have him place a rubber band around........around his......you know.....

Tell him it's a test to see what happens to the dog's tail.

I vote....MORON!:eek:

DogLover9501
05-04-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
Ask this idiot how he would feel if we were to put a rubber band around one of his fingers (or another important body part:eek: ), and cut off the circulation until it fell off.

Originally posted by RICHARD
Have him place a rubber band around........around his......you know.....

Tell him it's a test to see what happens to the dog's tail.

LMAO!!!

I talked to him a little while ago when I went to see the puppy, and asked why he got it if he wanted one with a docked tail, and he said his sister got it for him and didn't think it was important(as it wouldn't be to any normal person :rolleyes: ) and so I asked him not to do that and to maybe bring it to a no-kill shelter and find a rottie with a docked tail, but he didnt say much...

I hope I can do this :(

MariaM
05-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Around here they dock sheep tails with rubber bands, I don't know about dogs though.
Would that guy take good care of the puppy? If he doesn't seem to think docking its tail with a rubber band at its age a problem, I'm sure there would be a lot of other stuff he wouldn't see as a "problem"

Dog1,Cats2
05-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Would Animal Control or the Humane Society in your area get involved?? I've heard of people being prosecuted for animal cruelty in home/butchered/dock jobs.

DogLover9501
05-04-2004, 07:14 PM
Animal controll never get involved :rolleyes:

The good news is, I convinced him, he let me give the rottie puppy to a girl I know who just lost her dog of 15 years(even though I wanted SOOOOOOOO bad to keep that puppy). But I know he's in GREAT hands, she already got him a wack of stuff including a stylish summer vest ;) and a comfy bed lots of food and treats and about 20 toys :D

I feel so proud of myself :p

chocolatepuppy
05-04-2004, 07:26 PM
Ohhhh, Way to go Dog Lover :D

lovemyshiba
05-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Good job!!!!

I'm glad to hear you got this rottie out of that situation.

anna_66
05-05-2004, 07:24 AM
http://img14.photobucket.com/albums/v43/anna66/clap.gifThat's so great! You should be proud of yourself, you did a great thing for that pup:D:D

DogLover9501
05-05-2004, 07:53 AM
:D He is already doing great! I am getting my digital camera in :eek: 19 days! So I will probably go take some pictures of him!

Wow, a rottie with a tail actually never looks normal :p I seem to keep forgetting and I go over to see him expecting a docked tail and then seeing him and then being like :o duh!

I have not seen many with long tails, but I am getting used to that, too used to it lol, with spending a bit of time with Bonzo(his new name, I love it!) now when Im home, when Im letting Jasper in I look behind him to make sure I don't get his tail in the door :o :eek: because I am so used to checking being over with Bonzo! :p

Well more about him....There is just him and his owner living there, the woman got him a bed AND a crate, she is getting him neutered A.S.A.P! She also has an app. for a needle(we figure he's probably never had any yet) and he also has a stack of toys and great food(which I had to update her on :p she mentioned Iams :rolleyes: ) But she knows the rest :D

Bonzo is black(duh) and his markings are more of a rust/orange-ish color and hes very chubby :D love little fat puppy tummys :p

Well thats an update and hopefully there will be pictures when I get my camera.