PDA

View Full Version : Yikes! The ocean will swallow Florida??

Moose
05-02-2004, 10:09 PM
Guess Key West won't be around eventually...buh-bye home sweet home. :(

Warming to Cause Catastrophic Rise in Sea Level? (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0420_040420_earthday.html)

Blustang24
05-02-2004, 10:53 PM
BYE BYE to my home too! :eek:

GoldenRetrLuver
05-02-2004, 10:56 PM
That's why you're moving to California! :D

;)

Kfamr
05-03-2004, 12:07 AM
Mine too. :eek:

I'd love to move though.... lets say to possibly Michigan or Ohio? ;) ;)

ramanth
05-03-2004, 10:12 AM
:eek:

Scary stuff.

minkyboodle
05-03-2004, 10:40 AM
but....but....I *LIKE* it here :( but of course I can't get the web page to load up for me....

hopefully though by the time that happens...i should be gone!

Lady's Human
05-03-2004, 05:36 PM
Just keep in mind, that map showing Florida being underwater is assuming a worse case scenario of a 20 ft rise in sea level, and is also assuming no one would do anything. If the Dutch could figure out how to keep the ocean out of holland several hundred years ago, I'm sure we can figure something out.

dukedogsmom
05-04-2004, 06:20 AM
I've heard that one day Florida will be underwater. I plan to be in the northeast sometime. Like Maryland or maybe Maine. Or, in midwest Wyoming. Who knows? I just want to get the heck out of Florida!

lbaker
05-04-2004, 07:38 AM
Oh yeah, move to California... then you will end up in the ocean anyway when "the big one" comes. You can worry about AIDS or being hit by a bus walking across the street or random gun shots but what are you going to do? Hide under the covers? Get out there and vote, vote, vote. There is safety in numbers only if the numbers speak up. Back in the 60's the anthem was "QUESTION AUTHORITY". Now is the time. sorry, the old radical in me just got riled Stop global warming. Stop filthing up our environment. Step up. Do something.

catland
05-04-2004, 05:07 PM
just buy some swamp land in the middle of the state and someday your heirs will own beachfront property.;)

Fox-Gal
05-04-2004, 05:30 PM
I refuse to leave, I like Florida. I've lived all over the US and I don't want to start over again. :mad:

It says:
"A 6-meter (20-foot) sea level rise would submerge a large part of Florida. "

If it's only a large part of Florida, maybe I'll be saved. I live on what the call the ridge, the highest part of central Florida. I can be like catland said, own beachfront property. :D Maybe even my own island. ;) ;) ;) :p LOL

Of course most likely, I'll be dead before this ever happens, so the worse that can happen is my ashes will be spread into the ocean. I don't have a problem with that. :cool:

Amber
05-05-2004, 05:27 PM
yikes! Tough luck Florida.....good thing i live in Ohio! :D

All you floridans should come to Ohio!

quick fact: Did you know Italy is slowly sinking too?

Karen
05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm sure Sandra (tatsxxx11) would have to move, as if the oceans rise that much, Cape Cod will be underwater - not that her water-dogs would mind! I've been curious as to how far inland the ocean would come from Boston. We're about ten miles inland from the water's edge, but there are some sizable hills - including the marathon's famous Heartbreak Hill - between here and water's eadge now ... so this little house on a hill might be safe ...

I haven't seen a similar map for Boston.

And I believe Venice is sinking, but not all of Italy ...

Lady's Human
05-06-2004, 05:17 PM
Boston becoming Newton Harbor would be a bad thing How?