PDA

View Full Version : Cauciasion??

Toby's Mommy
05-02-2004, 11:58 AM
I saw this breed show on the tv and this was the breed. I have never heard of it before.
They are a VERY huge and aggressive dog. They are about 180lbs and 6ft on their hind legs. A grown man had grown up with Pitt Bulls, Dobermans, and Rotties and this dog pulled him over trying to attack a car driving by!
Have any of you guys ever heard of this breed?:confused:

KYS
05-02-2004, 12:20 PM
I now little about this breed but did recogonize the name.
I looked it up in my dog book.

It's used as a herding dog to guard the flock from
theives and prey etc.
Originally from Southwest Russia from the Caucasian mountains. It has also been used as a military dog. Considered a rare breed.
The book mentioned is had similair characteristics with the Anotolian Shepherd dog.

CountryWolf07
05-02-2004, 12:25 PM
What does it look like?

Kfamr
05-02-2004, 12:32 PM
I don't think it's so right to label them as "aggressive"
Any dog can be aggressive if not properly trained and socialized.

They're called Caucasian Ovtcharka... but also have other names.

I found this;
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/caucasianowtcharka.htm

They look gorgeous. :)
http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/images5/CaucasianOvtcharkaDX9U_022.jpg

Blustang24
05-02-2004, 12:35 PM
I found these..

Blustang24
05-02-2004, 12:36 PM
And this..

Tiah
05-02-2004, 12:44 PM
I have a Caucasian Ovtcharka, he is 4 years old and a total sweetheart- his name is Mallar. He is very testy at times- but aren't we all? He doesn't live with me, he lives on my uncles farm, but he is mine. The breed def. isn't for everyone. I will show pictures later! But Mallar is one of the sweetest dogs we have....he's my boy and I wouldn't EVER call him aggresive. Just like Kay said- It isn't fair to say the breed "mean" it all depends on how you raise the dog.

lute
05-02-2004, 01:03 PM
i watched a show called designer dogs that had those dgs on there. i had never heard of them either until then. they showd this guy that had one and he was just pulling the guy around. i think they are beautiful dogs, but could not even think about owning one.they are a lot of dog!lol

Dogz
05-02-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Kfamr
I don't think it's so right to label them as "aggressive"
Any dog can be aggressive if not properly trained and socialized.

Exactly what I was going to say.

I do not think that you should call a breed aggressive. If that breed was treated properly, it is more than likely that it is going to be a dog that is not aggressive.

It sure is a cutie! I have never heard of it, but it is gorgeous! :)

EssTer
05-02-2004, 01:51 PM
Caucasian Ovtcharkas are great dogs.. I like them very much, because they are huge and fluffy.. and I dont want to agree that they are aggressive, because it depends on owner...

How many of you know I was born in Latvia (in Europe, near Baltic sea, between Estonia and Lithuania) and there is LOT of those dogs.. Most of bthem live in private houses, even in countries and their job is to protect house, their owner....

If they are well socialized they are great friends for adults and children...

I think they are cute and great dogs :) I've met many caucasians :)