PDA

View Full Version : squinting

07-12-2000, 02:23 PM
Does anyone else squint at their cat/s? We have two cats and figured out that they "squint" instead of smile. When they are happy and content, they squint their eyes and if we squint back at them, they will repeat this a few times and start purring.

Pieper's Mom
07-13-2000, 07:51 AM
Yes, Pip&Max...my Pieper does that squinting routine...isn't it special? They really are communicating, as we squint back and forth at each other...my other cat, a Maine Coon, doesn't do that at all, so I'm assuming not all cats do...

Originally posted by pip&max:
Does anyone else squint at their cat/s? We have two cats and figured out that they "squint" instead of smile. When they are happy and content, they squint their eyes and if we squint back at them, they will repeat this a few times and start purring.

------------------
"Cats are rather delicate creatures and can have many ailments, but I've never heard of one with insomnia." Joseph Wood Krutch

margaret
07-13-2000, 08:36 AM
Yes! I "squint" at my cat, Saima (see Cat of the Day, September 17, 1999), and she seems to know that I am telling her that I love her -- non-verbally! She's usually purring loudly and has a contented look on her face when she's squinting at me. I have heard that when a cat squints at you, she is kissing you. But my cat also "kisses" me by gently licking my hand or my cheek a few times. It's so sweet! http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/wink.gif

bettyinbc
07-15-2000, 12:20 PM
Both my kitties were heavy into "squinting". Naturally, I squinted back - it's a form of communication. I've also heard "squinting" called cat kisses. Head butts, nose kisses and cheek rubs were huge on the agenda as well. Your cat is expressing his/her affection for you. It's so endearing and lets you know they trust you.

Iddy
07-16-2000, 12:15 PM
It's great to be to speak their body language especially when it's to show your affection. http://PetoftheDay.com/talk/smile.gif

Donna Hogan
07-19-2000, 11:34 AM
I remember reading an article in a cat magazine about 5 years ago that talked about a person who was rescuing feral cats. She specifically mentioned that she never looks the cat directly in the eye as that would be too challenging but instead would blink (or squint) at them. She said it is a non-challenging way for cats to look at one another and to communicate an "I am friendly" message.

My husband and I call it "sleepy eyes" and communicate with all of our cats that way. Often purring, head butts and kisses accompany it.