PDA

View Full Version : Help Please!

catnapper
05-01-2004, 10:32 PM
Pouncer jut feel off the balcony and ripped his claw to the bone. Its a bloody mess and I'm sure it's going to need to be removed. But what can I do now? We are so broke. Emergency vet is out of the question. I don't even know if/how we could afford the vet. I am so upset... crying so hard I can't see. Sorry if I am rambling. I need help as to how I can help him in the meantime til I can find a way to get him the proper medical care.

moosmom
05-01-2004, 10:36 PM
Has the bleeding stopped?? If not, you need to get him to a vet ASAP! I'm sorry but a ripped claw can be VERY serious, i.e., blood loss and infection. That's not something I'd fool around with.

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Kim - can you get him and yourself calm enough to wash it off and wrap it up firmly to stop the bleeding?? - also to prevent him from biting or yanking it off and causing further damage??This is all that occurs to me right now!

catnapper
05-01-2004, 10:39 PM
Bleeding has stopped. Should I wrap it and make a makeshift cone so he won;t lick? he's starting to try to lick it now.

catnapper
05-01-2004, 10:41 PM
Can I put some abntiseptic on it? If so, Whjat? We have limited supply.... basically neosporin & Rubbing alcohol. I'm going to hunt down some cotton gauze I know we have soemwhere

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 10:46 PM
I would wrap it to keep him from biting and damaging it - I don't know about ointments! Don't think so

lat192004
05-01-2004, 10:51 PM
Wow! Cat licking is sorta antiseptic. I have used triple antibiotic creme on a cats rump, but not around anywhere it could be licked. If the claw is still in place and not ripped out from it's socket, and bleeding has stopped, you might be OK.Keep the cat inside, you have to make the call on the vet, but I have seen a few of what looked horredous wounds on a cat heal by themselves. Post a picture, I'm sure some on-line vet here can help.....

catnapper
05-01-2004, 10:52 PM
I can't find the big first aid kit! All I've found is the Box of 200 bandaids!

Good news is that its not bleeding at all anymore and he doesn;t SEEM in pain, but we all know a cats ability to hide pain. He'll let me look at it, but pulls away when I try to squeeze the way I wuould when I trim. Darn me for not trimming them yesterday as I wanted! I know that he wouldn't have gotten it so badly caught if I had!

This is the week from heck. Hubby's broke his finger, I got a concussion, now my daughter has a bladder infection... we hoomans haven't gotten medical attention due to finances and my heart won't let me ignore Pouncer. Hubby's peeved beyond belief because we've denied ourselves... yet will be taking Pouncer. Ctying really hard now... ignore the typos. :( I'm nt seeking pity or anything... just venting my own heartache.

lat192004
05-01-2004, 10:56 PM
Looks like ya got lucky . Cats are so tough!!Keep that guy off the balcony!Re: heartache, this is a good forum for that...real kind people here. Good luck......Lat19 hawaii:) :) :) :) :) :) :)

catnapper
05-01-2004, 10:58 PM
Ok, not the best picture... kinda hard with a squirming cat and a crying mom.

http://img25.photobucket.com/albums/v74/kimmel101/misc%20nonsense/nail.jpg

All it basically shows is a br red area. this was taken before the bleeding stopped.

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 10:59 PM
I am still here Kim - I sent a PM to leslie flenner - thought she might be able to help...

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 11:01 PM
drat! she is offline and PM unread - sorry!

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 11:03 PM
if it is NOT bleeding, that sounds good - and he is still licking with no bleeding? does the claw seem to be detached? can you actually see bone? what does it LOOK like??? is he walking on it? limping?

lat192004
05-01-2004, 11:10 PM
Good luck to you. From what I see there should be no problem. The cat will lick this all through the night. Sunday if not improved, go to the vet Monday. I would keep any medications off his paw as this would be toxic to the cat. I have seen this wound on farm cats, and they healed by themselves.....

catnapper
05-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Walking a-ok. He's currently hiding out in the towel cabinet as if nothing's wrong. No bleeding at all. I see the whole vein uncovered, the nail itself is bent back at a 90 degree angle from where its supposed to be. I wonder if I can just clip the whole nail part off and let a new one grow in its place? I'm sure only a vet can determine that.

He's not licking anymore... and when he was, it wasn;t blleding.

catnapper
05-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Oh LAt, thank you. I can go to sleep ok and hubby won;t be grumping at me keeping him awake ;) I feel much better now. It does seem a whole lot less intense than at first.

catnapper
05-01-2004, 11:15 PM
DEb, thank you too! I'm starting to see again! :D Now my head is all stuffy from crying. :)

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 11:18 PM
I dunno about clipping the claw- there is a vein inside the claw - can you tell where it is safe to clip - I mean - do you normally clip them yourself and know where the vein ends??
Is it possible to push the claw back into place - otherwise - I am afraid he may catch it on something and rip it off! That is why I thought a bandage would keep it protected. I think the fact that bleeding has stopped is very good though. I just do not know what to say about the claw...sorry! what is happening now? I will stay here.

catnapper
05-01-2004, 11:23 PM
He's sleeping in the towel cabinet. Just like a man... causes all this fuss and then gos to sleep on you! LOL... see I"M at last feeling better. The vein is completely free from the nail itself. Exposed as can be, but uncut. I tried to gingerly push the nail, but it wasn't going to move on its own, and I don't want to cause further injury by forcing it.

I *think* Jen's rescue is having an adoption event tomorrow moring. If so, then I'll run him over there and see what they think. They've seen it all an would have a better suggestion on how to handle this.

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 11:31 PM
ok catnapper - looks like all is better now- I tried to gather some help here, just not sure what to do but if the bleeding has stopped, and Pouncer is asleep, the emergency seems to be over. Good idea to take him to see Jen tomorrow!!! Someone there wil know what to do. Sleep well!!!

catnapper
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
Thank you... thank you... thank you! I am going to sleep like the dead. I feel comfortable knowing he's ok for the time being and that Jen will see him tomorrow... I HOPE I've got my weekends right! She's only there twice a month... lets hope this is one of those times!

Good night! :)

shais_mom
05-01-2004, 11:34 PM
I don't know anything about kitty paws. But the wound looks pretty serious. I would definatly try to get him to the vet or have one of the people at the rescue look at it.
I just don't know how you would bandage it without him getting to it! :( But it definately needs taken care of.
Please take care.

lat192004
05-01-2004, 11:37 PM
Hey catnapper!!

Go on over to Jens rescue event in the morning. Watch it with that nail of his or you might need a doctor.LOLOL. Let the cat in the towel cabinet alone tonight, he will most likely pull the nail off himself if it needs it pulled off. They don't give cats 9 lives for noth'in. ........Lat19, Hawaii:cool:

Nomilynn
05-01-2004, 11:42 PM
I don't know that taking him to an adoption event is a good idea. This kind of injury is serious, and VERY prone to infection. With a bunch of animals and people milling about, this may not be the most sanitary of conditions.

I really think you need to at least call a vet for advice. This kind of thing really needs treatment ASAP.

catcrazylady
05-01-2004, 11:50 PM
OMG! I missed all this when it was going on! Catnapper I'm so sorry you went through such a rough night! Poor Pouncer! but like you said it was probably harder on you than him!! I know everyone's immediate instinct is get to the vet but as we all can understand emergency vet care ain't cheap! It doesn't sound life threatening so I wouldn't worry until tomorrow. Besides you had nurse Debbie on standby to offer up her great wisdom! Having a nurse on PT sure has been coming in handy recently!
I know your scared and worried and it does sound serious but think about what all the stray kitties get into. I think your idea of going to see Jen tomorrow is the best thing to do. I'm sure they can help out.
We will say a prayer for Pouncer and you keep us posted.

Aspen and Misty
05-02-2004, 12:28 AM
I'm glad to hear he is doing ok now!

Keep us up-dated!

Ashley

jenluckenbach
05-02-2004, 06:24 AM
Kim, we don't have too many supplys at Petco. Bring cotton balls, peroxide and if you can get to a drug store, liguid bandage OK??

The nail WILL need to be clipped and it WILL bleed. So we clean it, stop it from bleeding and the cover it in the liquid bandage.

catnapper
05-02-2004, 08:24 AM
Thank you EVERYONE! I cannot express how much everyone's help last night has helped, and Jen, I'm running to the store right now. I'll look like the devil when you see me in an hour at the adoption event. Oh well... at least my boy will be ok.

He's just fine this morning. Its actually quite annoying because he's jumping and running and playing like nothing in the world is wrong with his claw. He's even tried to escape out the back door. I on the other hand feel like a zombie.

Much love to you all
~Kim

Laura's Babies
05-02-2004, 09:01 AM
OMG! I missed this too or it happened after I went to bed! PLEASE keep us posted on the latest on Pouncer! Poor baby. Nothing more pitiful then a sick or injured baby!! They depend completely on us to tend to their needs.

catnapper
05-02-2004, 09:39 AM
If I survive this week from heck....

I have to take Pouncer to Jen for First aid, but I can;t find him ANYWHERE. ALlen too. Both boys have disappeared. Did they slip out when hubby was trying to fix the screen door and had his back turned? I usually can find one or the other, but both are gone. I've looked in every hdey-hole and some places you'd never expect. I'm hot, sweaty, tired, cranky, emotionally spent. And I can't find the boys. Please pray I find them in the house beofre I lose my sanity.

sirrahbed
05-02-2004, 09:49 AM
Please tell me you found the boys and are about to head out the door to get some first aid for Pouncer - k?

catcrazylady
05-02-2004, 09:56 AM
Good Grief!!! Are you having a nightmare? You poor thing! That is all you need on top of everything else. Please let us know they have turned up. I know you must be frantic again! I think you might need a doctor by the time this all settles down.http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/wink.gif

Come on boys! Quit messing with your meowmie and show your furry little backsides!!

sirrahbed
05-02-2004, 10:03 AM
hey CCL - she is offline now so I am hoping that is a good thing - and that she is on the way to the Petco:rolleyes:

PayItForward
05-02-2004, 10:22 AM
Fingers crossed, I suggested looking in the places the cats can not get to and can't fit in. Thats where I always find my 'missing' cats. :D

catmandu
05-02-2004, 10:27 AM
I would clip the nail , as you suggest , and see if Pouncer can walk , on it. Is there a Humane Society , that will help , as they are with the stray , whose paw might have to be amputated? Found Cats are praying for Pouncer!!!

catcrazylady
05-02-2004, 10:37 AM
I'm so glad that she has Jen in her area. She will be of great help I'm sure. I know how frantic and upsetting this whole thing has been for Kim. Bless her heart. These little furballs can turn your life upside down in a heartbeat!
I just know the next thing we hear from Kim is going to be good news!! I'm holding my breath!

catnapper
05-02-2004, 11:58 AM
Whew! He's one very lucky kitty --- lucky that I love him so much! He was soooo well behaved when Jen looked at his nail and didn't argue (too much) when she cleaned it up with Peroxide. He acts as normal and desn't seem to be aware that his claw is a big boo-boo.

I'm going to look after it for ANY change in color and watch for swelling. I simply cannot affored a vet right now. IF anything at all changes, he'll go to the vet, but since I'm home and can watch and clean it, I'm comfortable in waiting it out.

I was so upset about his paw that I TOTALLY AND COMPLETELY FORGOT that today is my dear Pouncer's 1st BIRTHDAY!!! :eek: I've been so emotionally wrecked and crying that I forgot. I am feeling like a BAD meowmie. Aw, geesh, here I go crying again.

BTW: Still no sign of Allen. :rolleyes: WHERE do they hide??? ooops, Allen just walked in. AGGGGGGGHHHHH. Anybody want two cats? I can't take the stress ;)

rg_girlca
05-02-2004, 12:21 PM
OMG I got goosebumps reading through all the posts about Pouncers poor claw. Apart from all that was said, I am soooo relieved to read that you were able to see Jen and have it taken care of. I hope and pray that it heals completely with no complications.
Sending BIG (((((hugs))))) to you catnapper and hope you are feeling less stressed now.

ALSO.................HAPPY 1st BIRTHDAY POUNCER......................

Stay out of trouble and keep well.
Hope you enjoy your special day with lots of special treats.:)

Barbara
05-02-2004, 12:23 PM
What a day! I really hope Pouncer is fine:)

I am glad that Jen was around to help.

Now as Allen appeared again (yes they are like men- they hate upset women! I could tell stories too;) ) I hope all of you can cool down.

catcrazylady
05-02-2004, 12:31 PM
I was just getting ready to walk out the door when I saw you had returned. I was worried and now I'm so relieved!!! I'm sure he will be fine.
WOW what a night and day you have had!! Take ten deep breaths and go take a nap!! I think you deserve one!
What a way to celebrate a birthday Pouncer!! I bet it's one your meowmie will never forget!!!

Thanks Jen for taking care of everybody's buddy Pouncer!!! and Kim as well!
http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

kimlovescats
05-02-2004, 12:41 PM
Oh my GOODNESS.... what an ordeal you have been through ... bless your heart!!!! I'm so happy to hear that sweet Pouncer is "ok" now and can enjoy his birthday! I just hope you can relax and enjoy a day of rest as well, Kim!

Now .... what about your concussion???? What did you do to yourself, missy?

Love and (((HUGS)))

Kim

Kirsten
05-02-2004, 01:05 PM
Oh, I'm so sorry, I have totally missed this!!! :(

What a horrible week you and your little family have had! And when there's no money for medical aid it's even worse!! :(

Makes me happy to hear that Pouncer is doing better, that so wonderful of Jen to look after him! A speedy recovery to the little boy! :)

How are you? A concussion sounds bad, and all the excitement and worrying doesn't make it easier. Please take care of yourself.

Kirsten

Laura's Babies
05-02-2004, 01:20 PM
Maybe you can convience Pouncer that all those tears and commotion was because he is no longer a "Baby" and not have his feelings hurt that you forgot today was his birthday! Glad all is well now and you can relax. I will be waiting for daily reports on how the toe is doing.

trayi52
05-02-2004, 01:31 PM
Yeah right, Catnapper, if I showed up at your door and said I was taking Pouncer and Allen home with me, you would fight tooth and nail, and I would be the one walk off with deep gashes and horrible bite marks.

Gee doctor this lady scratched me and bit me. What was I doing?:confused: Oh nothing except trying to take her kitty babies away from her, that all, and she was like some sort of wildcat!:confused: ;)

We know there is no way you would part with your two precious kitties!:D

I am glad you got help, and are feeling almost calm again.:D

Willie:)

Randi
05-02-2004, 02:24 PM
Oh, what a horrific day you had! :( I'm so sorry about Pouncers' paw, I hope it will heal up soon! It's great that Jen could have a look at it and help. :)

Get some sleep and take care of yourself, you've been through enough for one week!! :eek:

catnapper
05-02-2004, 02:43 PM
I really can't express how much it warms me to see everyone so concerned about my poor boy. I was really worried about how people might react to the fact I'm not taking him to the vet... BELIEVE me, I want to RUN to the vet and knock down her door. But since its not an option right now, I'm keeping an ultra-hyper eye on him. I'll have an ulcer before this heals.

AND the balcony is forever off-limits to him and Allen. Sorry my sweet buddy-boys, I can't have this happening again.

Steffi N
05-02-2004, 02:53 PM
I just read through this. Poor Pouncer. I am glad Jen was able to help and hope Pouncer will recover without any further problems. I hope you and your family will recover soon from your own problems. {{HUGS}} to you Catnapper and pets to Pouncer.

krazyaboutkatz
05-02-2004, 06:13 PM
Kim, I'm just now reading this thread. I'm so sorry that you've had such an awful week.:( I'm glad that Jen lives close by so she could help you and that Pouncer is acting normaly. Please take care. {{{HUGS}}}

lat192004
05-02-2004, 11:56 PM
Hello Catnapper;

I thought about you and pouncer, and felt a sigh of relief that he recovered. Take care;
Lat19 Hawaii