PDA

View Full Version : Knotted Fur

Lolo
07-04-2000, 12:42 PM
My Himalayan kitty has so much fur and it all knots up really badly. I try to brush him, but that is really irritating to him so much that he will will bite me, and growl. He is usually very sweet and this is the only time i hear him growl. The knots are so bad he can't pull them out, and i can't brush them out. Any suggestions?

[This message has been edited by Lolo (edited July 22, 2000).]

Debbie
07-04-2000, 12:56 PM
I too have a himlayan and grooming is a daily thing, so I try and do it in small sessions. If I let it go too long he gets mats. You can either use a scissor (carefully) and cut them out, but if they are too matted, you'll need to go to the groomer and get them cut out or shaved.I usually just have them shave his belly where the mats get bad. The groomer we found was wonderful and she showed ways to brush him so it didn't aggravate him as much. Unfortunately, it requires more patience! Good luck.

Lieke1
07-11-2000, 04:15 AM
I have a Persian cat and have the same problem!
He loves to be brushes, but not on his belly and there the knots grow more and more. sometimes he allows me to cut one of, but they keep coming:-(.

------------------
cheers, Lia

Linelle
07-12-2000, 09:30 AM
We have a Norwegian Forest Cat with similar fur. Fortunately he enjoys being brushed every day! Still, some mats occur and I use round-tip manicure scissors to cut the stuff out. He has so much fur, you can't even see the missing chunks. In the summer, he gets a buzz-cut.