PDA

View Full Version : storing photos (advice needed)

guster girl
05-01-2004, 12:40 PM
Hey, all. I'm getting ready to move and wanting to downsize. I'm very organized, but, still a pack rat. :) I have about forty photo albums and they just take up way too much room. I'm aware of the whole idea of scanning the pics onto a disk or into the computer. I plan on doing that as well, eventually. But, I'd like to keep the pictures I have, as well. I was thinking of laminating them individually and then keeping them in those cardboard or plastic boxes. Like the kind you can get at the container store or target. I'd just like to get some advice on other ideas, though. And, if anyone has any idea of the cheapest way to protect the pictures. Lamination is the only way I can think, but, that's not going to be cheap. Can you buy laminators? Any idea how much those are? I have several thousand photos. I'd just like some way to keep the actual photos that would take up less room than photo albums. Thanks guys!

Freckles
05-02-2004, 10:51 AM
I recall reading a few months ago about how to preserve photos but can't find the article now. From what I remember, I would not recommend laminating.

Did you know this is National Preservation Week. Article in this weeks Parade states:

"Have old photos scanned and copied, then store the ORIGINALS IN MYLAR SLEEVES IN ACID-FREE BOXES IN A CLOSET. Sticky-back album pages can damage photos."

Your quote "the cheapest way to protect pictures". Cheap and protect really don't go together. You need archival quality products. Good luck