PDA

View Full Version : Update: The Girls

RobiLee
05-01-2004, 07:27 AM
Well, so far things are going pretty smooth. Katie and Tori seem to really like each other. There are times when we think Katie is getting to rough with Tori. We are not for sure if she is just too big and playing too rough or if she is really trying to be mean. We are still keeping a close eye on them. Tori does not seem to mind the roughness. I mean she will let out a yelp or two and Katie will let go but then Tori is right back for more. They are basically pretty much non stop. Just a minute a go they were running circles in the house. My computer room has 2 doorways to it. One leads to the kitchen one to the hallway off the living room. They were doing mad sprints through here. I'm talking fast and hard. Round and Round! I finally made them go outside where they did continue the game until they collapsed....so much fun to watch. The eating part seems to be going really well. They drink AND eat out of the same bowl at the same time! No fussing no growling. I wonder how long that will last! We started out with different bowls but that just didn't work they kept going to each other's bowls and eating together. So now we just feed from one big bowl. At first one would sit while the other would eat and then they would switch positions then they just started eating together. They don't seem to fuss over toys or treats. One might steal a toy from the other but then the other just goes and gets it back and it seems to be a game. Sometimes I do think Katie has taken on the mommy role or maybe I should say big sister role. I have seen Katie be lazily lounging on the floor and Tori come up and pounce on her and start biting on her and then Katie will get up and grab her by the neck and hold her down until Tori yelps and then Katie will stand there and look at her like, "Are you going to behave now?" I know Katie is showing her who is boss. I hate this though. Katie is so big and I know she could easily hurt Tori. This is why we have to always watch them. Right now I can look out my window and see them curled up on the patio sleeping. Toooo cute! I would try to get a picture but I know it is useless as soon as I open the door they will come running. The only jealousy part I see is when we are paying attention to Tori, Katie will come and step right in between us. Katie doesn't seem upset or mean or anything its just like these people are mine and I will get attention first! I haven't had much alone time with Tori and I want some so badly. I just don't want to hurt Katie's feelings. Is that silly? I also haven't worked with her at all and I know I should but I am just having so much fun watching them. They are so beautiful and such awesome dogs. I love these two breeds. I think they are so unique. I was so jealous last night because Katie was crashed out on the living room floor and Alden was laying on the couch watching tv and Tori hopped up with him and curled up and went to sleep on his legs! We sometimes wonder if Tori was somewhat abused. I mean we have no proof of this. It is just the fact that she ducks when we reach out to pet her and she can sometimes seem very timid. If we try to pick her up she will scream bloody murder. I finally did pick her up and put her in bed with us one day when we were just hanging out in bed. You would have thought I was killing her and she was terribly frightened of being on the bed like she thought she was going to get punished for it. Katie finally jumped up with us and curled up and Tori finally relaxed and started playing like maybe since Katie was there it was ok. Like I said it is just a thought. We do not know this for sure. Well, I have been windy enough here. I could go on and on about my girls!

Robin :)

Pam
05-01-2004, 07:58 AM
It sounds like your girls are making great progress! I remember those early days with Bella and Ripley as they went through each new experience together and I wondered how they would do also. I think it's wonderful that they can eat out of the same bowl. Mine can too and that really amazed me. My last two poodles were unable to do that. When one would finish ahead of the other and watch the second one still eating there were sometimes low growls. For that reason I used to have to feed them on separate sides of the kitchen. Bella and Ripley fortunately don't have that problem at all and, like Katie and Tori, often eat out of each other's bowls. I personally think that you are over a big hurdle with that one! No food aggression - WOW!

These early days of establishing the pecking order are a little tense, I know, but it sounds like it is going very smoothly. The fact that Tori is a puppy and not an adult dog I believe is making it so much easier on Katie. I had to smile about Katie being a bit jealous of your 'special time' with Tori as I have experienced that also. Around here though it is just the opposite. Ripley often tries to get in between Bella and me when we are cuddling. I think in his case he just wants to make sure that his new mommy still loves him and is a bit worried that he might left out. :)

Don't worry about the length of your post. We all love hearing about your girls, and we love the pictures too!!!

K9soul
05-01-2004, 08:23 AM
Robin, it sounds like things are going as smooth as one could ever hope for. So many times I have heard of difficulties in introducing a new pup to the home of a dog who had all the attention before to themselves. I'm glad to see you aren't stepping in too much, even when it makes you nervous, I think it's very important they are able to establish their roles now in the 'pack.'

I know sometimes Tommy seems to maul on Tasha a lot. Even though she's the alpha, during play she pretty much tolerates whatever he does, but when he has her around the throat and she start's to cough/hack because of that, we step in, just say his name and he lets go. I have seen a couple times when he actually pinched too hard with his teeth though, she yelps and then lets him have it (bunch of snapping/growling that is all noise and nothing else). It sounds like Katie stops when Tori lets her know something hurts. I know your worries probably aren't so much that she will deliberately hurt Tori, but by accident. But I think the roughhousing play probably looks worse than it actually is. It sounds to me though like you are really doing the right thing: monitoring and trying not to interfere unless it seems overboard.

It's very cute they eat out of the same bowl. I'd never let my two do that since I'd be afraid Tasha wouldn't get any, she eats slow and leisurely and Tommy hoovers it down like magic :p.

I really enjoyed your update. Made me feel like I was there, and I could just picture everything you described. What a sweet, wonderful pair of pups, and a wonderful home and loving family they have.

KYS
05-01-2004, 08:25 AM
The girls are getting along wonderfully.
I think everything will be ok with the both of them.

With Rocky and Sheba every little thing was
a competition with them.
Since Sheba "was" top dog and Rocky was not submissive
you can just imagine. :rolleyes:

Katie has such a wonderful personality and she is being
a good big sister to Tori.
I hope you are taking movie pictures of them at this stage,
because Tori will be growing so fast.

GoldenRetrLuver
05-01-2004, 10:35 AM
LOL, I believe the running around the house they're doing, could be called "Puppy FRAPS" which I *think* stand for Frequent Run Activity something. :o

That's great they're getting along so well! :) I wouldn't worry about the rough playing, my girls did that when Daisy was a puppy, and they still do! They take turns being the "predator" and the "prey", complete with sound effects! It's their own little game. :p

DogLover9501
05-01-2004, 11:00 AM
Sounds like the girls are doing great, I wish my boys were like your girls, tomorrow it'll be 6 MONTHS that we had Jasper and Piddle still doesn't like him.

MariaM
05-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Major sometimes shies away. He'll be running around the yard with me and then when he stops he kind of turns in the other direction, not sure if its no purpose or not. He does that with everyone though.

Dogz
05-01-2004, 12:52 PM
I am glad this is such a good update! What a wonderful duo to have, Robin! :)

The rough playing is natural. Katie is doing good with the 'big sister' role.

Both of them seem like such sweeties! Keep taking pictures, take videos, do that all the time! It is sad when they grow up, and you think, "I didn't get nearly enough pictures when she was a pup!" Of course you would think this, even if you had thousands! :o

Thank you for the update! :D