PDA

View Full Version : Ear Suckling

dallee118
06-28-2000, 11:43 AM
HI!! My Barkley ( male foundling 6 mos.old) has this really strange habit! He suckles my left ear all the time! He only does it to me and just to the left ear! But it's almost like he needs it for security! As soon as I come home from work,he is at my feet crying until I pick him up. When I do he goes right for my ear and goes to town! He will continue to do this until I pull him away (and then he pouts!) or until he goes to sleep. I just wanted to know if anyone else had an "ear-sucker" and if he will eventually groe out of it.

ckoch
06-28-2000, 12:32 PM
My cousin has a cat that does the same thing to him. Once in a while the cat will also do it to others too. He did it to me once when I was visiting and it was hilarious. It tickled so much I couldn't stop laughing.

TheCatsMeow
06-28-2000, 12:47 PM
When I first got my Pouncer he would suckle my shirts! He's never done it to my ear. Maybe your kitty was taken away from his mother too early? It is a security thing for sure. My kitty eventually stopped on his own and I think your kitty might as well.

------------------
...>^..^<...
TheCatsMeow

LoveMyPeaches
07-01-2000, 08:52 PM
Wow, this is really funny. My Pekoe sucked her tail for several months when she was really young. She started out on the tip of her tail, but eventually she would suck any part of her tail. I was ashamed at first but then I noticed that she would do it only when she was on my lap or curled next to me - like she was very content and happy. I eventually needed to trim the tip of her tail that was always wet and yucky. Since then, she has not sucked her tail or had the "want" to suck it. I sort of miss the little sound she would make. She is such a peach!

kalikat
07-02-2000, 08:18 AM
Our Abby who recently passed away at 14, used to suckle on my husband"s ear ( and mine in a pinch ) for over a year . He was a very sweet natured and affectionate cat all his life and was very devoted to my husband. Enjoy the gesture, it's now one of our fond memories of his time with us.

Vikmiss
07-06-2000, 05:57 AM
Our cat Phoebe suckles on our dog Maxie, using her as a pacifier. She is about a year and a half now and doesn't do it very often anymore. It is pretty comical to watch and the dog has been very patient with her. When she was little she would "insist" by pushing the dog over on her side with her paws. Maxie never had puppies, but must have maternal instincts anyway!