PDA

View Full Version : I don't think Mr. Magoo is going to work out

catcrazylady
04-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Everyone has been so happy and the threads have been so much fun that I didn't want to be a downer but I have to let this out before my head explodes. I feel so guilty but after tonight I'm pretty sure that this is not the best home for Mr. Magoo. I hate to admit failure and I darn sure don't want to give up but I also don't want Mr. Magoo or my other babies to be uncomfortable.
I expected issues with everyone getting adjusted but what I never saw coming was Mr. Magoo being aggressive. I have to compliment my crew for being very welcoming to this strange kitty.
Here is the problem and why I don't think he is going to be happy here. We let him out in the evenings and he gets brushed, loved, and played with. He then wants to stretch out and relax. That's fine but he can't relax because one of the other cats walks by and he has to get up and see what was near him. If we get up and walk he feels like he has to follow us which is fine. When he follows one of the cats though and they stop he opens his mouth and attempts to bite them. Sammy was laying on the floor the other night being a very good boy. Mr. Magoo smelled him and walked up to Sammy. Sammy didn't move and they did the nose to nose and seemed fine. Sammy turned his head but Mr. Magoo kept sniffing until he got Sammy's ear in his mouth. I screamed and thankfully Sammy jumped up! After what he did to my wrist I promise you he would have torn Sammy's ear off!! Sammy jumped and walked a couple of feet and Mr. Magoo followed him and then tried to clamp down on Sammy's back!!! I again tried to write this off as fear but tonight he was at it again! Every cat that walked into the room or went to the litter box he went after. Now mind you he can't get there very fast but he always follows until he finds them. My guys are being very good and not running from him and they are trying to be nice to him. He followed Stubby tonight and when she stopped to give him nose kisses (shock!) he went at her! She got away and he started trying to climb the wall where she had been standing! We had to wait until we felt secure and then put him back in his cage. He is very aggressive!

I know what the problem is (I think). He can't relax outside of the cage. He tries but every kitty sound has to be investigated and he reacts with biting. He seems glad when you put him back in the cage and sleeps for a bit but then he starts tearing the cage apart and wanting out. I am at my wits end!! Hubby has just about had it because we are running around with a towel trying to protect our babies from one of Mr. Magoo's vicious bites!
I know things take time to adjust and I'm overly nervous because of my bite but I can't have this kind of thing continueing. With what he did to my wrist I absolutely know what he can do to one of the babies. If he was just aggressive towards me I could handle that but I can't protect nine cats without causing everyone to go crazy. I can't sit down, hubby is constantly jumping and now our nine are afraid to come around us when we have a towel because they are afraid they are in trouble.
I want to cry because the last thing I want to do is take him back to the shelter but I'm at my wits end! I'm exhausted and scared when he is out and I'm upset when he is tearing up his cage! He never seemed like this at the shelter.
I'm afraid you all will think I'm reacting to quickly but I'm telling you that I feel experienced enough to know that this cat is a nervous wreck here when he is out. He seems calm on the surface but there is too much activity with the kitties and it keeps him on overload. If I had a spare room that he could live in then that would be great but I don't. I don't know what to do!!! I am a problem solver but I can't come up with a solution. He would be wonderful in a home with no other kitties and someone fairly experienced with cats. He loves to play but does bite during heavy play time so you have to watch out for that. He is wonderful but the other nine are just too much for him.
Why didn't I think of this before? What will it do to him if I have to take him back? If there were good moments then I wouldn't be so quick but everytime he can get to one of the others he goes for the bite!
Please help because this is breaking my heart!!!!

Laura's Babies
04-30-2004, 06:12 PM
Follow your heart and your instincts. YOU and only YOU know what is best for your other babies. You can not have him attacking the other babies and upsetting their lives anymore than need be. We know you will make the right decision for everyone concerned. At least you TRIED, you can live with that better than if you had just ignored the situation. We can't win them all and it hurts when we loose, but we do loose. May you find peace in the fact that you TRIED! ((((HUGS))))

sirrahbed
04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
I want to echo Laura's words. I am with you no matter what happens. It is NOT a *downer*. We each do what we can do in God's time and that is that. Kimlovescats put it something like that...maybe the next phase of his life is for someone else to deal with. You have already given PLENTY. And, you do not need PT approval, either. (((((((HUGGS)))))))))

Edwina's Secretary
04-30-2004, 06:23 PM
I cannot imagine anything more wonderful than what you have tried to do for Magoo. It sounds like he would be more comfortable in an enviornment with less going on. That's about him and his disability ... not about you and your extraordinary effort.

aly
04-30-2004, 06:27 PM
I'm crying as I read this :(

You have a responsibility to your nine first and foremost. You have a huge heart to welcome Mr. Magoo into your home and give him all these chances. I agree with the fact that if he was just aggressive toward you, you should work through it. But since it is toward your babies, I understand your heartbreak :(

There are things you could try, but when it comes down to it, one of your cats could get seriously hurt in the meantime. I think you will find the answer in your heart. Whatever you decide to do, we know that you have made that decision with the best intentions for Mr. Magoo and your other 9 babies.

At least now that he has been in a home environment for a little bit, it will be easier to match him to another home if he goes back to the shelter. Since he's special needs and likes to bite, he may do well as an only-pet.

Keeping you in my thoughts. Stay strong. No one will judge or second guess your decisions. We all know you're wonderful!

Cataholic
04-30-2004, 06:49 PM
You are going to be mad at me when I say this. But I do think you tried to soon to integrate the cats. Maybe you aren't able to address the situation, maybe this isn't the right forever home. I don't know. And, I don't think you are less of a person for making ANY decision you make. It is your home, your life, and you must be comfortable. And, I don't know now if things will be too tense for anything to settle down and become normal.

But, I think if you would have held off for a long while..longer than if Mr. Magoo had all of his senses, things could have gone differently. He bites as a reaction to his fear, his unfamiliarity with the situation.

I am sorry, I know this is not what I **should** be saying, but, I can't really see past Mr. Magoo's situation right now to provide much comfort.

:(

catcrazylady
04-30-2004, 06:51 PM
You people are going to make me cry again!! I can't imagine anything harder than taking him back into the shelter and leaving him there again! It makes me sick to think about it but I don't know what else to do. It is the blindness that is the problem. How can I ever get him used to constant activity in a free environment? How long was he out fighting on his own just to survive and can he put that behind him? Who will pay the price while we wait to see if he is going to learn and how high will that price be? I know for most people my wrist would have been enough but the damage to me is unimportant. It's the innocent cats that are trying their best to be nice to him that are going to pay the price. After the intense pressure from that bite I know he can cause very serious injury to another cat. He would have truly torn Sammy's ear apart or off his head! I have no doubt about that!
I'm trying to hard to come up with something to ease my guilt. I'm thinking that maybe if I do a bio and put his picture online he might get adopted. They could do a serious and very careful interview. I could even talk to them and make sure they truly understand his needs. But what if no one ever wants him? He will get sick and eventually die of lonliness and depression in that place. How am I going to live with that?

slick
04-30-2004, 06:56 PM
It almost sounds as if he should be in a one-cat home where he can feel safe to explore at his own leisure.

Do what you think is best and don't feel guilty at all. You are a wonderful purrrson and whatever decision you make will be all right with me.

moosmom
04-30-2004, 07:06 PM
CCL,

I've read your dilemma and all the responses that have been posted. My heart is breaking with you. But as others have said, you and only YOU can decide what is best. Your babies come first. While I do kind of agree with Cataholic on giving him his freedom too soon, I also see what you and your furbabies have gone through.

I also see Mr. Magoo as an "only" kitty. He needs to be king of the roost. While I know this breaks your heart, find comfort in that you tried every single way you knew how to make a furrrrever home for him. Sometimes cats just need to be only cats. I think Mr. Magoo fits that profile.

What I would do is a bio on him (I'll help you if you'd like, I used to write a Pet of the Week column for a newspaper) with a picture of him and put it on petfinder.com Emphasize the fact that he needs to be an ONLY kitty. I'm sure someone will find it in their heart to give him the furrever home he deserves.

Please do not beat yourself up over this. Things happen for a reason. Right now you need to get peace and harmony back into your home.

(((((hugs))))) to you for what you've done. Most people would've given up the moment he clamped down on your wrist. If you need to talk, I've PM'd you with my phone number.

PayItForward
04-30-2004, 07:11 PM
CCL,

You have to do what is best for you & your fur family.

I don't blame you for having concerns about Mr Magoo with your fur kids, because of what happened recently.

But I also agree with Johanna, that he needs to be placed in a spare room for some time before being allowed to intergrate with other cats, in his furever home.

But this is impossible at your home because of the layout etc.

I do think he could live with other cats but he needs more time to settle than most cats.

Though from your description I think his biting is more fighting to be top cat than real aggression. Which is good new for his next home.

It is better that he goes back to spends more time at the shelter, than to stay at your home when you & your kitties are uncomfortable with him.

Good Luck with your wrist getting better and Mr Magoo finding his furever home very soon.

catnapper
04-30-2004, 07:14 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this! You tried everything you know and in your heart you feel you know what is right. I always say that you should follow your heart... because it usually leads to the right place. Mr. Magoo seems loving and it sounds as if he will flourish in a one-cat home.

I wish you the best of luck in whatever you decide!

QueenScoopalot
04-30-2004, 07:14 PM
Boy that's one tough decision to have to make, but for the well being of all involved, maybe Magoo will be happier in a quieter place. He likely still has that tom cat wanderlust and is frustrated by all that's happened in such a short time. You can't have your cats badly injured by him though, or you or hubby. :( Hang in there....we all know you're trying your best for all involved. ;)

RICHARD
04-30-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by catcrazylady

I'm trying to hard to come up with something to ease my guilt.

I don't mean to sound like a turd but, would a little more time be better than a HUGE amount of guilt.

I learned that when the fecal matter hits the oscillating air displacement machine, in time the
FM falls off the blades.

It took me a while to learn how to ride a bike, ice skate and drive a car......

Our Hearts always want instant gratification but Time keeps creeping along....

I think that eventually he will calm down....remember, he was in an area where he was close to cats but unable to interact with them...

Your heart will tell YOU what to do, Time will give you the answer.

Best Wishes.

catcrazylady
04-30-2004, 07:38 PM
Lots of advice has been offered and kind words. I have taken offense to nothing that has been said. Everyone is speaking their mind with honest opinions and that is what I asked for.
I probably did make a mistake with the other cats too soon. My reasoning behind that in the beginning was because I knew he had been surrounded by so many cats for so long that I didn't think it would be an issue with him. All of this was done caged and he showed no sign of aggression at all. When he was given his freedom it was obvious that he was becoming territorial when the other cats were allowed back in the room. I was probably wrong but I really thought that by letting him meet and roam freely with the top two males early on then we could avoid him being so territorial of the room he was allowed out in.
I can promise you that his actions are aggressive top male attitude. He is not afraid!!! If Leroy walks within two feet of him he gets up and follows him until Leroy sits down and then he attacks!! There are no agressive moves from Sammy or Leroy. Mr. Magoo initiates the nasty. Do any of you really feel that if I waited another month or two or three that he wouldn't be territorial and want to fight? I'm thinking that the longer he is alone and then introduced again that it would be worse. I may be very wrong.
I know the pictures of him tore at all your heart strings just as he did mine. I thought I brought home a docile and loving kitty. I knew there would be issues and scuffles but I didn't count on him being so savage in his aggression. All joking aside folks I have been bitten many many times. I have shed a lot of blood from kitty bites and experienced lots of pain but no cat has ever had that much jaw pressure. Maybe because he hurt me so bad I'm overly cautious. I just can't imagine a bite like that on one of my cats.
Unfortunately I don't have a room that he can have all to himself. I have beat myself up for ever bringing him home because if I take him back I'm afraid it will be harder on him.
I appreciate everyones honest comments and understanding. I also appreciate the fact that looking at that precious special needs face makes your heart break. Living with him has turned out to be very different than I thought. I see his face and I cry for him but I will also kick myself if I end up crying over one of my precious nine if they get damaged like me.
I know I don't need everyone's approval and I have to do what is best for me and my home but we all rely so much on each other that I needed to share and I guess deep down I needed to know that it was ok. I guess I need understanding because it hurts so much.

catcrazylady
04-30-2004, 07:52 PM
By the time I type these too long messages many more of you have responded.
Richard maybe your right and more time is necessary. I guess what scares me about that is that if it comes down to it will it be harder on Mr. Magoo later than it would be now.
I guess there is no answer to that question because nobody really knows.
I'm just so confused.

catlady1945
04-30-2004, 10:31 PM
It is probably best to take him back if you are not comfortable with him.

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-01-2004, 01:00 AM
I really sympathise with your dilemma. Although Connor's disability is not as bad as Mr Magoo's, I DID feel that I was under so much more pressure to MAKE it work, especially knowing that he would go back the the shelter:
1) After having experienced life in a home
2) with the shelter staff now being aware that he is deaf (they hadn't realised before
3) knowing that the shelter is NOT nn-kill and there were no guarantees that he would be re-homed.

As I have said in previous posts, I have been badly bitten, but what pushed me over the edge was when Connor bit Ally and SHE needed vet treatment. Now SHE is 9 out of t10 times the aggressor - she looks for trouble with Connor all the time, but that doesn't make it easier to see her being hurt, and she is my first cat, and is also much smaller than Connor.

I am in a different situation from you - I am lucky that there is enough space in my house that the cats can be kept apart if needs be. This space has given us all the amount of time we needed to settle down and adapt, and although there are still days when they fight, it is not a constant daily issue like it was before.

You have my full support with whatever decision you make. You have tried so hard to make the situation work out, but you have to do what is best for your surrent cats. Maybe all the acticity is making Mr Magoo more aggressive - perhaps he would do better as on only cat, or with another special needs cat. The problem with opening your home and your heart to these wonderful creatures is that we also open ourselves up for such heartache!

One other idea - what about getting in touch with local media - your regional TV station or newspaper. Nothing like a heart-wrenching story to motivate an animal lover!!!

krazyaboutkatz
05-01-2004, 01:09 AM
CCL, I'm so sorry to hear that things aren't working out with Mr. Magoo.:( I agree that you should follow your heart and that your current furkids safety should come first. You have my full support in whatever you choose to do.

Kirsten
05-01-2004, 03:44 AM
CCL, I'm heartbroken as I'm reading this, I'm so sorry things don't work out well.

Well, maybe it's true and they just need more time, but I can understand your concern so well! After what has happened to your wrist, it's no surprise that you're fearing for your resident cats!

And since you think Mr. Magoo is displaying alpha male behavior, I really wonder if his behavior will ever change. Well, I don't have much experiences with introducing one cat to another (the only time I did it was when I brought home Lily, and luckily that worked great), but I would think there would be a bigger change if Mr. Magoo's agression came from fear or confusion. Obviously it's not like that and he wants to dominate, and this could be a constant problem.

I wonder why he never behaved like that in the shelter? You have described him as a very friendly and loving cat there. :confused:

I agree it would be hard and sad to bring him back there, it would be nice if he could find a good place as a single cat, or in a household where he could have an extra room.

I really don't envy you for the situation you're in, but please don't feel you have failed!! You did what you thought was the best for him, but like with every living creature, some things are unpredictable. I'm so sad for you!

One other idea - what about getting in touch with local media - your regional TV station or newspaper. Nothing like a heart-wrenching story to motivate an animal lover!!!

I think that's a good idea! Here in Germany, we have shows on tv where they're introducing pets that are looking for a new home.

catcrazylady
05-01-2004, 06:32 AM
Thanks everyone for your support! All the advice and opinions have been very important to me.
Does anyone think that I should try medicating him before I do anything else? I hate to do that to the poor fellow because he already has so many issues to deal with and I know some of that medication can do more harm than good.
Do you all think the activity of nine other cats might be more than he can ever handle? It's a lot for me to handle!!!
I'm fresh from some sleep and I'm on a new mission to find this guy a wonderful home. I wish I could afford to buy a new home with lots of extra rooms but that won't be happening anytime soon! Finding him a home isn't going to be easy either!
He needs to be an only kitty or at least almost an only kitty but he also needs an experienced cat owner because of his biting. It is going to be hard to find someone who is experienced but doesn't have any cats.
Keep praying and offering any advice that you think might be helpful. I'm listening!

PayItForward
05-01-2004, 06:41 AM
CCL,

I don't think he needs to be an only cat, I think he would settle with other cats but he would have to be isolated in a spare room for a significant time before introductions can even begin.

But that is good news in rehoming him. as you need to place him with an experienced cat owner who can/will be able to take on and love a special needs cat.

These experience cat owners are very likely to already be owned by several cats already.

What about doing a special write up on his needs in a honest poster with cute photos.

I did this one for Jen's cats, maybe you could write something like this....
http://www.piftails.com/main/articles/rehoming/OneByOne.html

I can help if you would like me to ?

Media interest would help him and maybe your charity too.

Good Luck

Kirsten
05-01-2004, 06:48 AM
Personally, I don't really like the thought of medicating him... but maybe that's just me. :confused: If his jaws weren't so strong, I would recommand to let them work it out the feline way, but I agree that the risk is too high in this case.

I think it could be very well that the 9 cats around him are stressing him. After all, he's in his cage most of the time and they are not! And he isn't familiar with them yet. And maybe he also senses your fear now. You probably don't show it to him, but he has bitten you so bad and you know what damage he can do to a human or another cat, so you're extra careful, and I'm sure he knows, and to him, it must look as his first little victory in dominating his new family!

I wish you all the luck in the world, whatever you decide to do.

Kirsten

sasvermont
05-01-2004, 07:47 AM
Well CCL, I am a strong advocate of medicating when in a difficult situation. I think it mellows out the stressed kitties (note that maybe more than one, if necessary) until they become familiar with each other. Then the ho-hums set in and you can cut out the medications gradually. Gabe, a former kitty of mine, was given Amitriptyline in a cream for his ear and pills. I used the cream ..... on a couple of occasions. It works and it sounds ideal for your situation. If you PM me I will give you more information about the pills etc.

Hats off to you for trying to get Mr. Magoo a life. Did you do anything wrong? I doubt it. You did what you thought was right. You/we are not mind readers and cannot tell what a cat really needs...even when the cat lives with you for years.

Speaking of cats, while I was typing this missive, my door bell rang and it was a neighbor saying that one of my cats had pushed a screen out of a corner of the window and was dangling from the outside sill, then would climb back inside. It was horrible to watch, according to the report. I closed the window until I figure out how to better secure the screen. Chloe, of course, was the guility party. Maybe I should medicate HER!

Also, CCL, rehoming is an option. Why take him to the shelter? I would run an ad in the local paper about his problem and I bet you will have some takers. I think he should be the only cat and then be introduced to a kitten, after he is adjusted to the new home, unless you keep him. I could be wrong.........

No one here, I suspect, would be willing to take Mr. Magoo, especially if he is aggressive, so who the heck are we to sit in judgment of you. We are not. I do think we ALL admire what you have done and tried and give you so much credit for trying. None of us want to harm our exisiting crew (house full of pets) and understand your concerns....completely. Many of us have "been there, done that".....and know what stress comes from difficult pet problems.

Fondly,
SAS

catmandu
05-01-2004, 08:34 AM
Perhaps , if SCrappy mag Goo got some publicity , then someone would adopt him , and make him , the only cat! You shouldnt judge yourself , too harshly , as you couldnt have forseen , that Magoo , would be so aggressive. The Papers , are always looking for Human intererst Stories , maybe they could help. Found Cats , are praying for Mr. Scrappy Paddington Magoo!

Felicia's Mom
05-01-2004, 09:07 AM
I admire what you tried to do. I wish you luck in whatever choice you make.

catcrazylady
05-01-2004, 10:10 AM
Newest event this morning. Mr. Magoo was crying so pathetically to get out so I closed off the room so no cats could enter. It was just me and hubby. Magoo walked straight over to my chair and started rubbing on my leg. I was petting him and he was headbutting me. I thought he was being sweet and then all of the sudden he whipped his head around with mouth wide open! I jerked my hand back immediately and he quickly lowered his head down and tried to bite my bare foot!!! I felt the touch of those teeth and thankfully jerked my foot out of his way! That's all I would have needed was my foot to be like my wrist! I pulled my legs up in the chair and he actually looked for them! By all outward appearances you would have thought this was a sweet and loving moment!!!! I have done the same thing with him everyday and he loved being loved. He came to me so I didn't force anything on him.
Hubby immediately said that's it! Every time he walks by we pull our feet up now. I don't know how I'm going to find a home for such a nasty biter but we can't live like this. No one can.
Please keep praying that a miracle happens quickly!!!

Craftlady
05-01-2004, 10:31 AM
I've been reading all the updates and responses have had great with suggestions etc. Dont beat yourself up, you've done everything humanly possible for Mr. Magoo now it's a matter of safety and welfare of yourself, hubby and other fur babies. I

This is a special circumstance since Mr. Magoo was out fending for himself and seemly doing a pretty dern good job. Although he hasn't figured it out yet being rescued was best thing for him. I would suspect if he was always in a home and then given up for adoption the situation would be so much different with his behavior.

We will continue to keep good thoughts and prayers that there is someone out there for Mr. Magoo.

Barbara
05-01-2004, 11:45 AM
From your and Julie's experience I think the integration of a special needs kitty is quite more difficult. Mr. Magoo may think that as he cannot see he has to take care of himself by using his teeth. And I am sure he is mixed up too.

I support whatever you decide to do. I have seen it several times at Pet Talk that a situation was not working out and the reason was never that someone wanted to take the easy way:)

Kirsten
05-01-2004, 11:56 AM
I'm so sorry he even goes after you during the cuddling moments now. :(

It's so hard to tell what's going on in his head - if it's "only" his blindness or some bad experiences he might have made in the past that make him act like that now. :(

Kirsten

lisalee
05-01-2004, 12:23 PM
It truly breaks my heart to read this. It actually breaks my heart more to think there are not more people who care that have no pets that could give this poor kitty a loving home as an only kitty. THAT'S what really breaks my heart. You are a very kind person in trying to help, knowing that you already have many kitties.

I also would give it more time. I know that's easy for me to say, but I just remember seeing Mr. Magoo and how happy he looked getting brushed. The poor boy does want love so bad, he's just so confused and being blind is probably so hard for him. Oh no, I'm gonna start crying again.

Have you tried rescue remedy? That can be put on his food or rubbed on his ears lightly. What about Feliway?? That is a spray or a plug in that he does not need to be medicated for. It's suppossed to be highly effective in stressful situations. Have you also tried a person who specializes in feline behavioral problems? If you do a search on the web you should be able to find someone to help, possibly??

I'm just trying to help Mr. Magoo and your family hopefully be able to live in peace together. Maybe that's not possible, I really don't know. I just know I would need to try and give it more time.

All by best, prayers sent to all

Lisa & Sash

Randi
05-01-2004, 12:29 PM
catcrazylady, I've been reading all the replies and think you've got great advise. I'm so very sorry that it doesn't work out as you had planned, you did SO much for him! :)

I'm sure that because he's blind, he feels the need to defend himself - and someone may have hurt him before he came to the shelter - not only other cats. :( This is probably the reasons for his agression.

Whatever you choose to do, don't feel guilty! You know him best and also what is best for your other cats. :) As someone has mentioned, medicine could be the solution - at least until you find him a forever home. I really hope you can!! Contacting the media sounds like a great idea, you should take PIF up on her offer!

I wish you all the best solving this very difficult situation!!

Hugs to you - you are one special lady!!

RedHedd
05-01-2004, 12:45 PM
CCL my heart goes out to you. You have given Mr. Magoo a good week of trying, but you must put the safety of you and your fur-kids first. Mr. Magoo sounds like he is way over-stimulated by all that is going on. He's been through a lot in a very short period of time - being rescued, having his remaining eye removed and being neutered all within a matter of days.

From reading all the posts, it does sound like he would be better off as an only cat. Taking him back to the shelter is NOT defeat; it's doing what's best for the highest good of all involved here.

I agree, getting the media involved is a terrific idea. I'm sure someone will come forward to give Mr. Magoo the furrever home he deserves.

Whaterver you do, follow you heart. Prayers going out your way that everything for you, all your furkids and Mr. Magoo turns out for the highest good of all.

Tonya
05-01-2004, 03:08 PM
I am very sorry to hear about the difficulties with Mr. Magoo. I know that you will make the best decision for him. It sounds like Mr. Magoo may be happier in a less active house, perhaps being the only pet.

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
05-01-2004, 06:41 PM
I'm sooo sorry you're having such difficulties with Magoo. We all had such hopes for him - as I'm sure you did also. However, you should in no way feel guilty for anything. You have done much more than most people would even think of.

I know you're committed to find Magoo a new home, but I'm with SAS in going with the medication in th meantime. Some people think it's a bad thing to medicate, but if it makes everyone all around more comfortable - including the cat - what's the harm? I do remember she used the cream in the ear for Gabe, and possibley on Miley when Ti was around - or was it on Ti? I don't remember, but I do remember that it helped ease a tense situation. At the very least it may make him not mind staying in the cage so much until you find him a new home.

I'm just so sorry. I wish I had more advice, I wish I could take him, I wish I knew someone who could take him, I wish I could help....somehow.... :(

catcrazylady
05-01-2004, 06:51 PM
I'm going to try medicating before I take him back to the shelter. I couldn't live with myself if I didn't give every option a chance before I did that. I just hope that what I'm doing is the best for him. Keep praying!

lizzielou742
05-01-2004, 07:28 PM
Good luck, CCL. I haven't been posting here for long but I can tell you have a heart that is full of love for all of your babies. You have to make the best decision for them, on their behalf. Try getting him on the news or an a public access channel. Surely you will find someone to take him with a heart as kind as yours.

sirrahbed
05-01-2004, 07:39 PM
I went back to see what the drug was that they put Pickles on - it is called Cyproheptadine. It is actually an antihistimine for humans but for cats it lowers testosterone and raises serotonin. Anyway, for Pickles, it has completely stopped not only the spraying, but his aggression in general. No more stalking his sister or pacing and crying.

Cyproheptadine is about $15 a month.
Amitriptyline (Elavil) is an antianxiety drug and runs $10 for three months. (old drug - inexpensive in tab form) I have no idea about the cost of the Ami ear cream.
Fluoxetine (Prozac) is anywhere from $30-over $100 a month depending on the generic or brand name and if they use the veterinarian formulary.
Clomipramine (Clomicalm) which is the same as Ananfranil for humans and this one is about $10-$15 a month but sounds like the one specific for territorial aggression in cats. I *think* it is approved for dogs but used "off-label" for cats.
These prices are based on best price of internet sources. As far as I can find out, all the Ami tablets and the drug Pickles takes are not available as a veterinary drug. Vet drugs are actually much more expensive and I have been told that they have to meet higher standards of approval.
This is all stuff I looked up when we were wondering what to do for Pickles - maybe it will save you some time.

PS - Devon was also worried about "drugging" her kitty - but except for the behavioral improvement - there have been no changes such as sleepiness, clumsiness, etc - things you might expect to see with a "calming" medication.

leslie flenner
05-01-2004, 08:55 PM
Debbie! that sounds like a very good idea for mr. magoo! I'm more inclined to think like Richard and others- he, unfortunatly can't have his own room for slow introductions so something else needs to happen- medication is likely the answer! AND, he needs to know who is top cat- owner is top cat- he needs some discipline about who is in charge and what the rules are (I know, he's been told a few times already but he needs it to be repeated- he's blind and going to test boundaries constantly till he understands who's where on the hierarchy!) Well, that's just my guess and I don't have to live with this stress... you need to do what's best for both of you! I'm sure he would be very happy in a single cat home if you can find one! the best to you and I do commend you on your continued efforts! A lot of other people would have (and did) tossed him out! Poor boy and poor you! What's going on with your injury- all ok?

lat192004
05-01-2004, 10:38 PM
Hello Catcrazy;
You have been through some tough times with this kitty, and you see he is special. When humans get behavior problems, usually a visit to the doctor with medications will work. Stick with this cat, but get him on something that will help him. Behavioral modifaction on a cat does not work to well. A cat will listen to you, and make up his own mind.When you think he is listening to you, he is really plotting to find a work around to do the opposite of what you told her to do.I just cannot agree to any discipline for a cat.Just give love and more love to Magoo. Cats are independant, and don't really need us at all.The Tomcat I had before Angel one day was scratching the sofa. I saw him do it, and yelled at him and lightly gave him a love tap. I mean I just touched him, that is all!He stopped, but met me around the corner by the kitchen with a relpy, a loud hiss and a hard swat, claws and all!... What we do is welcome a cat into our life, knowing it's a one sided deal...for the cat! Your cat has these same instincts, but has a "handicap". The blindness must have Magoo a bit defensive. Too much stimulation here with the other cats.Since they all live together, and Magoo can't cope, try medications. Ya need to get that kitty chilled a bit. The last resort would be to find Magoo a home where he is the only cat.

Good luck;

Lat-Hawaii