PDA

View Full Version : May I vent just a little more?

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 02:52 PM
I am so mad today, as well as sad. You see, I have just found out we have a Brown Recluse infestation in OUR home! I have found three, all the same size without the past two days. The first two I found right next to the rat cage, next to eachother. Then just today of all things, I found Dylan playing with one in the kitchen. Great! I do not see any bites on him so I am confident he was not bit. They were ALL the same size, and I am pretty sure they were born in our house. I can't tell you how many I have seen this year alone. A few years back there were several cats that died of Brown Recluse bites here in OR.

About a month or so ago Dan had taken out a speaker from our car which has a hole in it to run the wires. Well last week I had noticed while vacuuming that there appeared to be a spider web in the speaker. I took the nozzle of the vacuum and suctioned everything out. I am thinking that the mom was in there and that was where she layed her sack. So now tomorrow we are taking all the animals out in order to bomb. I am trying to get ahold of the manager so he can have someone come and spray, but if now we are bombing ourselves. I cannot put our life as well as my pets lifes in danger. What makes me angry is that after watching Dan's dads cats for two weeks, driving him to and from the Portland airport with no gas money, and having to use gas money to go to and from his house every day for two weeks and having to buy the cats food and him not offering any money for this, he declined to watch the pets for just a few hours so we can bomb. That makes me so angry!:mad:

I was going to have to board all the animals but I have luckily found a friend who is willing to watch the pets for the day.

Contined in second post so I don't lose this one.........

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 02:59 PM
So then comes the animals. I just lost Honey due to pyometra and having to put her to sleep. :( Last week we had to take Ewok to the vets because his eye was swollen. He is UTD on shots but he needed to go in. They found no foreign body and we were given ointment due to what they believed was a cat scratch. Well the eye was doing better until yesterday. Now BOTH of his eyes are enlarged and swollen. They are also leaking. It is clear, not gooey like herpes. So I have an appointment for him next Wednesday at 9:30 to get checked out again. They are concerned it may be allergies. The testing is around $200 dollars, plus the initial exam and FIV/FELV testing just in case, although he's already been vaccinated.

Does anyone have any experience owning cats with allergies? If so, what is your experience, how was it treated etc? Then comes the rats. Meeko has a growth on his back. It is fairly small right now. Since my camera is broken I cannot take a picture of it. Since it is small I am hoping it can be removed and does not grow back. I am hoping it is not cancer. I am hoping it is just a cyst. I also got an email from a lady who had adopted two rats from me about 9 months ago. One is Sterling, now named Stan. Some of you may remember me posting photos of him in the past. He is a blue standard ear berkshire. Well him and another boy I adopted out to the lady, Ollie (dumbo platinum velveteen-whom was bred here) are coming back here. Kinder care is ending and they were classroom pets. So I am taking them in. Well Stan has a HUGE, which I believe is cancerous tumor on his back. It looks cancerous to me. So I have to take him in for surgery, estimated cost=$400 or more depending on how long he is kept under anesthesia. This is going to be a VERY risky procedure. He is around 2 years old and was a rescue I got from a local pet store who refused to treat his mites and URI and kept him in a TINY critter keeper for three months with barely any room to walk or groom himself.

I am freaking out. I have already spent about $200 dollars on vet bills this month, plus Ewoks appointment next week and both Meeko and Stan's tumor removal. I am praying to God Meeko's is not cancerous. This can mean the end to a very good line here at Romping Ratties.

Then comes my dad. I talked to him last night on messenger. He is angry that the doctors now want to remove BOTH of his legs, after he thought the right leg was showing improvement. He was in the hospital just last week due to his legs and pain etc. He told me he hasn't eaten in two days. I am sending him an Albertson's gift card in order to buy himself some food. With his ailing health he NEEDS to eat! He only get $10 a month on food stamps, plus his social security which barely pays for his space rent, utilities and more food. The good thing is that he was given an electric wheel chair for free from the state to help him get around. My grandfather also qualified for one, so now they have daily wheelchair races in the mobilehome park. :p To top it off, after 7 years of being sober, he started drinking again due to depression.
He has quit smoking though, which is good. The oxygen chamber saw him no good. :(

One good thing is that he has since started dating his in home care nurse. Her name is Maria and I believe he is portugese? I am hoping she will give him the OOMPH he needs to get through all of this. He still talks about my stepmom Patricia a lot and really misses her. So I would appreciate if some of you have the time, if you could send a little prayer for my ratties and my father. It would mean a lot to me. :)

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 03:09 PM
Here is a photo of Stan's tumor. The rats are not yet with me. The lady I adopted them to is going on vacation. I do not yet know if she has left, but I called her this morning to ask if she can drop them off before she leaves so I can see that Stan gets checked out asap. If not, I have to wait until she comes back, which isn't until May 15th or 16th. I am a little upset she has not taken him to the doctors.

carole
04-30-2004, 03:10 PM
Sorry to hear things are not going too well Cass, please tell me what is a brown recluse , I have never heard of them, I thought maybe you mean't mice, but please put me in the picture.

I sure hope things get better in your household, and your Dad stops drinking, it will only make matters worse for him, that is very sad to hear, you are in my thoughts and I can only hope there is indeed a light at the end of the tunnel, take care sweety!!!

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks Carole. I am happy for my father though, that he has a new girlfriend. :D That is one plus!

stacwase
04-30-2004, 03:24 PM
I don't have any advice for you - just hugs!

carole
04-30-2004, 03:45 PM
Well Cass a new woman in his life, could be just what the doctor ordered, fingers and paws crossed eh? hang on in there babe.!!!:)

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 03:58 PM
Thanks! :) I am trying to find a photo of a Brown Recluse.......they are pretty nasty. :eek:

Marge
04-30-2004, 05:50 PM
Gosh Cass! We've been busy with vets and animal problems too. :( Not the rattie boys though, they are all healthy and happy. Skipper the yorkie had bladder stones and $500 later we are not guaranteed they won't reoccur. One horse coliced and we had the have the vet out, of course it was after hours so it was an emergency call out. $350 later the horse is fine. Then the cat got very constipated and off to the vet we went.... It's never ending! Sometimes I wonder why I have animals at all. :)

Is there something I can do to help? You know I don't live too far from you so if you need something HOLLER! It sounds like you do.

The Brown Recluse spider is nothing to trifle with. Also called the violin spider, they are 7 times more potent than a black widow. I was bitten by one and I suffered through 9 months of abcesses waiting for the poison to completely come out of my body. They would probably kill Dylan!! I'd bomb the house too! I have plenty of room for ratties if you want!

Can Jim and I at least take you out to lunch or something? Hugsssssssssss

Just an update on the 4 boys. The biggest is the brown velvet boy, (Scooter) he weighs in at 18 ounces. He's turned from a standoffish guy to the first one to greet you. The second is the white velvet (Guy) who developed a lovely brown nose. He weighs in at a pound. The third is the blue bershire (Buddy) who is just under a pound. Lastly the little black and white silky who was the giant of the group when we got them, he weighs in at 14 ounces. All are happy and healthy, wonderful friendly boys.

Loree

davidpizzica
04-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Sorry,no advice here, but I am thinking of you and your father and I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Marge
Gosh Cass! We've been busy with vets and animal problems too. :( Not the rattie boys though, they are all healthy and happy. Skipper the yorkie had bladder stones and $500 later we are not guaranteed they won't reoccur. One horse coliced and we had the have the vet out, of course it was after hours so it was an emergency call out. $350 later the horse is fine. Then the cat got very constipated and off to the vet we went.... It's never ending! Sometimes I wonder why I have animals at all. :)

Is there something I can do to help? You know I don't live too far from you so if you need something HOLLER! It sounds like you do.

The Brown Recluse spider is nothing to trifle with. Also called the violin spider, they are 7 times more potent than a black widow. I was bitten by one and I suffered through 9 months of abcesses waiting for the poison to completely come out of my body. They would probably kill Dylan!! I'd bomb the house too! I have plenty of room for ratties if you want!

Can Jim and I at least take you out to lunch or something? Hugsssssssssss

Just an update on the 4 boys. The biggest is the brown velvet boy, (Scooter) he weighs in at 18 ounces. He's turned from a standoffish guy to the first one to greet you. The second is the white velvet (Guy) who developed a lovely brown nose. He weighs in at a pound. The third is the blue bershire (Buddy) who is just under a pound. Lastly the little black and white silky who was the giant of the group when we got them, he weighs in at 14 ounces. All are happy and healthy, wonderful friendly boys.

Loree

Do you know if your husband got the email I sent to him the other day? I would LOVE to see you guys! I told him I would take him up on his offer to barbecue, hehe. :p

I am sorry you are having troubles with the pets. Great to here my boys are all doing wonderful though! :D Hurray! Just to let you know though, that Meeko, the grandfather to your boys has a growth so I will have to keep you updated on his condition. So it's something to keep an eye out for when the boys get older. If they show any signs of anything let me know.

Ya I dislike these spiders. I cannot believe I have found three in just two days! :eek: It's very scary. Luckily I don't think Dylan got bit as he is acting normal and I have yet to see any bites or swelling. When I rode the Coast Starlight back to Oregon from California there was a lady on the train with me who had been bit and had a nasty scar on her leg. I felt so bad for her. :(

Heh, I told Jim the little PEW was going to turn into a himilayan. That is so neat he has points! :D You know, I was looking at my adoption agreement for you guys yesterday and I could have sworn you guys took four boys. Now I know I was right! I need to write the other boy down as I didn't include him darnet. I would love to see pics of them if you have any! :D

If you can help rat sit let me know. I would really appreciate it. It would only be for a few hours hopefully. Give me a call later on if you can. :)

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by david p
Sorry,no advice here, but I am thinking of you and your father and I'll keep both of you in my prayers.

Thanks. :)

Desert Arabian
04-30-2004, 07:58 PM
Aww, poor little Stan! :( That's so sad, I really hope that the tumor gets better. I can't believe all the troubles you have been having lately.

Are you sure that those spiders are brown recluses in your house!? Here's a link to information and shows their distribution. Could they possibly be wolf spiders!? I hope they aren't brown recluses!! :eek:

http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/2000/2061.html
http://dermatology.cdlib.org/DOJvol5num2/special/recluse.html
http://www.ext.vt.edu/departments/entomology/factsheets/brownrec.html
http://kidshealth.org/kid/ill_injure/aches/brown_recluse.html

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 08:01 PM
No they are brown recluses. I know what they are. I am from California where there are literally tons of them. Loree (Marge) lives right in the next city, and she was bit if you read her post. They are everywhere here. We have had a big problem with them lately.

I wish they were wolf spiders, as they are one of my favorite spiders! :D I have done plenty of research on brown recluses, so I don't need the links. But thanks for posting them, :) We have tons of wolf spiders here. They are fun to play with. I used to catch them when I was a little kid. :D There are some really pretty ones too.

Marge
04-30-2004, 08:28 PM
HA!!!!!!!!!:D I thought I was the only one who played with wolf spiders! I love to watch them watch me, even if they can only see 7 inches in front of their faces. My mother used to have one living in her curtain when I was growing up. It stayed there for a long time, and she babied it. We didn't DARE kill her wolf spider! :eek:

I hope Jim has your phone number. I thought I had written it down but I must have not put it where it belongs.... shame on me!

Ours is in the phone book if'n ya can remember my last name! :) Ratties can stay here for as long as you need them to stay.

Loree*oh shoot, can't let Cass see the dirty rat cage......... HEATHERRRRR!!*

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 08:33 PM
hehe, I have your number on my adoption agreement. ;) Hey, if you know of anyone who is looking for some ratties let me know. I have a little rescue boy that Honey raised, along with his sister and I am looking to rehome Marshmellow with Pebbles so she goes with someone she knows. I will try calling you in a bit.

I am feeling morning sicknessy right now. :( I've been sick all day. Urrgh. :p

G.P.girl
04-30-2004, 08:52 PM
OMG Brown Recluse(es?) are so scary!! ewwwwie! my uncle told me they were really really pioninous and you die from it in a few days and there's nothing they can do about it unless you get to a hospital riht away and you tell them it was a Brown Recluse! buuuuut that was my uncle and he tries to scare people like that...so i don't know

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 09:42 PM
Well they usually do not kill but they can leave a nasty wound. They are not naturally found in Oregon, however with more and more Californians moving here they are finding their way.

G.P.girl
04-30-2004, 09:46 PM
ewwww then they might come to washington!

Desert Arabian
04-30-2004, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by luckies4me
I have done plenty of research on brown recluses, so I don't need the links. But thanks for posting them, :)

:confused: But then you would have noticed that they live no where near the west coast, only in southern and midwestern states!? :confused: I'm so confused!

luckies4me
04-30-2004, 10:55 PM
Originally posted by YellowLabLover
:confused: But then you would have noticed that they live no where near the west coast, only in southern and midwestern states!? :confused: I'm so confused!

Though that is commonly where they occur they are very common in California and becoming more common in Oregon due to people moving, shipments etc. I have been researching them for awhile now. ;) Marg was bit while in California after a shipment came into her work. I thought she got bit here but she explained to me that after a shipment they recieved carried them she was bitten. This happens often. I am POSITIVE it was a brown recluse. I would have taken pictures had I had a camera. :rolleyes: That's what I get for buying a Sony though!

Anyways, I started researching them after I was bit by another of Oregon's venemous spiders (forgot the name) and learned quite a bit about them. I have some very good links saved somewhere with nasty photos. Most times people get bit cleaning their garage etc. I remember a few months ago someone here posting pictures of a spider that hitched a ride in their husbands luggage and her cats were playing with the spider, which was HUGE BTW! :eek: I'm not sure who it was that posted, but they have a nasty habit of wanting to take vacations. ;)

ILoveReptiles
04-30-2004, 11:45 PM
Well I've read that Brown Recluse don't kill, but the wound doesn't heal very well - it just keeps opening up and getting larger and larger.

All in all a very nasty little spider. I hope things start going better for you.

Homer
05-03-2004, 12:20 PM
Hey folks! Cass is having a LOT of trouble. Which of you will donate a few $$$ to help her out? I'm good for $20.00. Anyone else? All this talk of "Oh, that's really too bad, CASS. I'll pray for you..." and "Gee, that terrible. I hope it works out.." sound really nice. But you can't put good wishes in your pocketbook.

Like I said, I'm good for $20.00...

Anyone else? Remember, people, back to the time when you were broke and needed help. You DO remember, right?

Regards, Homer

Katiesmom
05-03-2004, 12:54 PM
ewww...I don't like spiders no matter what kind they are:p

luckies4me
05-03-2004, 12:56 PM
Thanks Homer but we are fine right now. :) I have a great vet who I am sure will let me make payments if need be, but I don't think the surgeries will be that much. Sterlings should be about $500 maybe, if they can do it, and Meeko's shouldn't be that much since the growth is fairly small right now. BTW, I REALLY think this headache is from my sinuses like Loree said. Aren't you supposed to be at work? :p I'm sure I can come up with the money to pay the surgeries and it doesn't look like Ewok needs to go back to the vet as his eyes now look clear. Thank goodness! So I guess I just needed to be more stringent (sp?) with his daily eye ointment.

I am going to be very dissapointed if I have allergies. :( I will have Dan go buy some claritan today and see if that helps. Anyone know how to get rid of a sinus headache? I have had this headache now for FOUR days and it won't go away no matter how many pain relievers I take. :( I have so much pressure in my head and nose, in the center of my head. I've never had allergies before. :rolleyes: I guess that's what I get for moving to Oregon, eh? :p

Tonya
05-03-2004, 01:55 PM
Cass, brown recluse spiders are very dangerous. I hope you get the house bombed real soon! I'm sorry you are going through so much right now. You are a tough woman, I know you'll make it through it all. ((((hugs))))

luckies4me
05-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by Tonya
Cass, brown recluse spiders are very dangerous. I hope you get the house bombed real soon! I'm sorry you are going through so much right now. You are a tough woman, I know you'll make it through it all. ((((hugs))))

Thanks Tonya! :)

It was your post last year that made me start researching them. You are in California correct, and didn't your work place have an infestation or something like that? I hate how they say they don't occur here or in California which is just complete BS! :rolleyes: Haven't seen any spiders in the past couple of days now which is good. Anywho, I am about to hit the sack now with Dylan. ---->:o =tired. :p

PayItForward
05-03-2004, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Katiesmom
ewww...I don't like spiders no matter what kind they are:p
Ditto, I hate spiders.

I am so sorry you and your dad are hgaving such a bad time.

Sending {{{hugs}}} your direction, may life get much better...soon.

Blustang24
05-03-2004, 05:57 PM
Well, I am sorry to hear of all your bad luck. It's a shame Dan's dad couldn't be more giving given the circumstances especially. Sending prayers to your whole family, pet, dad, and all! :) Hopefully things get better!