PDA

View Full Version : new additon - please help

aguu
10-01-2001, 12:01 PM
I have no idea what the procedure is to intoducing a new kitten to a home with an old cat. Jake is 8 years old and quite needy. My husband just got a new kitten and while it's only been one day it seems to have traumatized my poor Jake. He mostly hides in the basement, won't eat (that has NEVER been a problem before!)and hisses at the little one. Will this be a ongoing problem? is there anything we can do for Jake aside form extra affection to make him happy and comfortable? Pleeese pleeeese help, I am so worried that he will get sick. :(

purrley
10-01-2001, 12:26 PM
I have found that in the past when I introduced a new kitten this procedure is done very slowly. Keep the new guy isolated from Jake and just let him come out slowly. Make sure your Jake gets tons of attention. My seal point Siamese (now at the Rainbow Bridge) took forever to get used to a new baby. She stayed ontop of the fridge for a good ten days. Jake will come around but don't expect it for at least 10 - 15 days.

yorkster
10-01-2001, 06:17 PM
I did this a few months ago. FOR SURE what you need to do is let Jake be in the main part of the house and confine kitten to a bedroom/bathroom. Let them sniff each other through the door for a few days then gradually let them look at each other, then start letting kitten come out for a short time, and Jake go in kittens room and check it out. Also, it is very important that you give the majority of your attention to Jake- of course the kitten gets some too, but don't make a big fuss over it in front of your older cat. Jake is just feeling very threatened right now, so DON'T get mad at him for hissing, etc. because that will only make it worse. When you work up to letting them together, make sure you supervise. It sounds like it might take awhile with Jake since he is already hiding in the basement. Maybe set kitten up in 'his' room, and go get Jake and show him that kitten is not around, and start from the beginning. All cats will react a little differently and learn to accept at their own pace. This is how I read and heard from the people here in Pet Talk to introduce a new kitten/cat. It worked very well for me! I was pretty lucky to have a very mellow cat at home too. My problem now is that we recently got a new dog, and THAT is taking quite a lot of time. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

aerbutterfly
10-02-2001, 03:59 PM
:([/QB][/QUOTE]
ok i love cats and i dont want to scare u but my other cat still hate my other cat they have known each other for 5 years but she the cat i have had for 9 years didnt eat until 2 weeks later