PDA

View Full Version : Shopping in Dubai

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-29-2004, 03:00 PM
I need to fly out of Bahrain to renew my visa, so I will be flying to Dubai on Sautrday evening, and returning back to Bahrain on Monday monrning, which gives me 1 FULL DAY IN DUBAI FOR SHOPPING!!!

I am hoping there is a GOOD PET SHOP there. Popcornbird has already recommended one, so that's a good start.

What I need to know is:

WHAT WATER FOUNTAIN DO YOU RECOMMEND?

Any other "MUST HAVE" cat toys or accessories?

I'd love to get Ally and Connor a fountain (depends on the price tho - as I am still not working) - but I dont want to make a bad purchase, so please give me some advice!

Thanks!

Denyce
04-29-2004, 03:09 PM
I have a couple of the Fresh Flow I think they are called. The water runs down the ramp rather than just dropping off the edge. They are much quieter than the dropping ones. But if you like the sound of water running all the time then the dropping ones would be good too. :D :D

For Christmas we got our cats a toy called a Turbo scratcher...I think that is the name...they are a large plastic ring with cardboard in the middle with a ball that runs around the outside. All four of my cats love it. Besides the catnip mice and the catnip bags and the furry mice and string of any sort that is the only toy that all four of my cats have liked.

Denyce

Edwina's Secretary
04-29-2004, 03:32 PM
I have the PetmateFresh Flow as well and Edwina in particular likes to drink the water as it goes down the ramp.

Eddie loves scratching boxes.

Barbara
04-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I was wondering why you posted that thread in Cat General- but now I understand:D

I can give no recommendations on water fountains as around here it is a bowl with water from the tap but I hope you find everything you want and have still a little time to shop for yourself;) A pity we can't go together:D

PayItForward
04-30-2004, 01:50 AM
I have a Petsmate fountain and I like it but having read the following article I am looking at getting a Drinkwell next time.

I need two fountain with 8 cats !!! :D

As Drinkwell hold a lot more water and the water flow is more powerfull and the redfill reservior is bigger.

http://www.spencerthelion.com/fountains.htm

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-30-2004, 02:18 AM
Thanks for the input! I HOPE I can find a nice pet shop there!!!

catcrazylady
04-30-2004, 05:50 AM
I also have the freshflow and the kittie's love it! They love drinking the water as it flows down the ramp. It's quiet and I haven't had any problems with it.
If you don't find a pet store then go shop for yourself! You are very deserving to splurge on you! You do so much for the kitties so make sure you do something for you!! HAVE FUN!!!:D :D http://petoftheday.com/talk/images/our_smilies/biggrin.gif

sirrahbed
04-30-2004, 07:42 AM
I think it is funny - you have a whole day to shop and you are wondering what the kitties need???:eek:
Just kidding though - I do the same thing - head right for the pet departments!!:D :D

emily_the_spoiled
04-30-2004, 08:27 AM
We have a fresh-flow water fountain and the gang just LOVES it. My only advice is to make sure to buy a supply of filter where you get the fountain. Those are not as easy to come by as the fountains...

catmandu
04-30-2004, 09:00 AM
As I have several Cats , I bought the Big Dog one , so all could get a drink , of water!It beats the porcelain water cooler!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-30-2004, 09:41 AM
This (http://www.worldpetstore.com/drinpetwatfo.html) is the one that T & P have. I really like the reservoir option. I only need to fill the reservoir about every 3rd day.

The other thing I've found that T & P really love are their "carpet condoms." (http://www.petsmart.com/global/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=84552444177 7529&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302025518&ASSORTMENT%3C%3East_id=2534374302023690&bmUID=1083336224874) ;) And I think it's so funny that Peanut has her and Tubby will not go in hers, and Tubby has his and Peanut will not go in his. It's like that is their own private space and the other one doesn't invade that space.

Good luck and enjoy! Someday I'd like to experience Dubai, just for the experience of it. I don't think I could afford anything but just to be there and see and experience it would be so cool. :D

AmberLee
04-30-2004, 02:39 PM
I have a Drinkwell and the furkids love it. I bought the only size reservoir that was available a few years back. (The one mentioned at the SpencerTheLion website above.) Recently they came out with a reservoir that is double the size. :rolleyes: Not sure if I'll upgrade soon or not, but probably will one sometime...

I did forget and leave it running one time over a long weekend when we were all away. The cats went with me, so I didn't think there would be a problem but forgot about evaporation. :o :( The motor burnt out and the cats were VERY disappointed. Replacement motors are cheap, at least, and easy to replace in the Drinkwell.

Good luck!
Oh, recently they've come out with cat toys on mini-fishing line with reels: we have two -- one with an irridecent (sp?) fish and one with a furry mouse. I'm getting rather decent with how to hold my thumb on the reel so they go the length of the room, then I twist them while winding them in. Livvy likes it, Cassy LOVES the challenge. Do you think your furkids would like this toy?

Ally Cat's Mommy
05-01-2004, 12:12 AM
Thanks - I will make some notes today, so I am ready for my shopping trip tomorrow!! I totally forgot about those Carpet Condoms - I am sure Ally and Connor would love those so I'll need to look out for them too!

T&P's Mum - The shopping in Dubai isn't really as fantastic as people may think. I have been to SF and Miami, and the range of goods available in the malls there is similar. It's just such a treat after Bahrain - we only have ONE large mall, and it doen't even have a pet shop.

I think maybe the attraction is the atmosphere - it's like a whole "lifestyle"thing - people get dressed up to the nines in all their designer gear, arrive at the mall in their shiny 4 x 4, and buy things "just for the hell of it"- there are loads of designer boutiques etc (which dont interest me). (My idea of dressing up is clothes with no cat-hair on them :rolleyes: )There ARE some good electronics shops, so it's a great place for the latest laptops, digital cameras etc, and as you are not paying sales tax, it CAN be a bit cheaper than elsewhere.

They have a 2 week "Shopping Festival"every year - it is absolute chaos - you queue for parking for hours, and the shops are jam-packed. There are some really good bargains during the festival (we got a flat panel TV for 30% off), but you need to shop around carefully - you cant just assume that because it's the shopping festival you will be saving money!

For myself I have the following on my list:
Some South African food and sauces (HUGE South African expat community there, so the shops cater for them)
IKEA for new bath mats
ALMAY make-up (dont get that in Bahrain)

and of course stuff for the cats.

Vio&Juni
05-03-2004, 03:20 AM
Many people from Moldova go to Dubai for shopping too :) althought European countries are, of course, closer.

I wish I could go one day, but it is rather impossible for an unmarried young woman to get a visa for Dubai :)

Barbara
05-03-2004, 04:05 AM
Oh Vio- with your blonde hair you would be the hit at Dubai shopping:D

I had a stopover in Dubai one time and close to our plane there was a Lear jet and the classical Arabian cheikh came out of it with a falcon on his glove:eek:

He was even as good looking as any movie star.

So think about it;)

Vio&Juni
05-03-2004, 04:08 AM
I already have my hero and he is even better than any movie star! :D But, if I go to Dubai I will keep my eyes open for this guy with the bird :D