PDA

View Full Version : need help fast!!!!!! please give advice if you have any

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-28-2004, 10:09 PM
I took Macy to the shelter Monday and emailed Nanette today to see how she was doing and this was her reply!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hi Sara,
I left you a message yesterday about Macy. She is wild and Cat Care can't
handle her at all, so that means that we can't have her here. We can only
work with tame cats that can be placed as indoor pets. They did test, spay
and vaccinate her yesterday but we're paying for Macy to be boarded until we
find someone to take her, and so far we haven't had any luck. Is there any
chance that you can take her back and she can live with you?

You can call CatSnip at 770-448-6806 and they have traps that you can
borrow.

Please let me know if you can take her back.
Thank you,
Nanette
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[b]What am i going to do?!?!?! Macy is NOT WILD... she is probably just VERY SCARED. ... Macy is the most gentle soul in the whole world. I can not tell you how much she loooooves to be petted and purrs all the time..

WHAT SHOULD I TELL THIS LADY???

I know i can not keep Macy and I am not capable of finding her a good home like they are...

I am so sad and scared for Macy right now!!!!

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-28-2004, 10:14 PM
I am scared....

this is what i am going to email back to the lady.....

sorry i am not waiting for any advice.. but i have to get to bed and i don't want them giving up on Macy!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Nanette,

I am so sorry to hear this. I can not keep Macy. I don't have the room for any more cats and my husband has already told me I can not keep her. I just want to tell you Macy is such a gentle soul.... she is probably just very scared. I have spent a lot of time with her and she loves to be petted and kneads the ground when you scratch her head and purrs all the time. Please don't give up on her. I am not capable of finding her a home like you guys are.

:0(

The lady at Cat Care told me you take ferals. Do you? Will you be able to take Macy's other two babies?

Sorry and Thanks for your help.

guster girl
04-28-2004, 10:21 PM
I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that! Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but, in her email to you, doesn't she state that they can only take tame cats? I'm just curious, cuz you asked if she could take feral cats.....and, could you ask them what she is doing that makes them think she is wild?

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2004, 11:50 PM
Sara, I'm so sorry to hear that Macy is so scared.:( I can relate with you because my Cirrus is semi-feral and is so terrified when he goes to the vets that he becomes a wild animal. He's now know as "killer" cat there and I'm sure he also has a red flag in his chart.
Macy needs someone who is willing to work with her to gain her trust just like you have done. Everything is new to her so I'm sure she's acting this way because she's scared. I sure wish that there was a way that you could keep her. I really don't know what else to tell you. Good luck and please keep us updated.

PayItForward
04-29-2004, 01:20 AM
Sara,

That does not sound good, it doesn't sound like the shelter has time or desire to retame her ?

I would ring them and find out what they will do in these situations...Do they TNR wilder cats or will she be put to sleep :(

I know your husband doesn't want anymore cats but if it is Macy's ONLY chance it is worth discussing it with him again.

Please ignore these questions if you want to.....
Why does your husband object so strongly to a third cat ?
Does he have a specfic reason to object or is it a general no ?
If Macy will be put to sleep otherwise, will he still not consider saving her life ?

If he has specific concern maybe we could address them ?

But please I beg you to ring and find out what they are going to do with Macy :(

Good Luck Sara.

PS. I remember JenLuckenbach's Bonnie doing a simular thing when they tried to rehome her. Maybe she can offer some advice.

aly
04-29-2004, 01:30 AM
I think you could find little Macy a home. Would your husband object to her coming back temporarily? When you find interested people, they could come to your house and visit with her so they can see her real personality. Then tell them to expect a period of adjustment if they took her home.

I really think you need to go get her and calm her down and work on finding a home for her yourself.

NoahsMommy
04-29-2004, 02:22 AM
Sara,

Could you go to where she is for an hour or so each day until she adjusts? Maybe your presence can help her calm down a bit? Maybe your face will help her to feel better and they can see she's a good kitty?

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2004, 04:48 AM
Originally posted by PayItForward
Sara,

Please ignore these questions if you want to.....
Why does your husband object so strongly to a third cat ?
Does he have a specfic reason to object or is it a general no ?
To answer both these questions... Eric has some hang up about having TOO many pets... . he thinks any more that two inside animals is too many. He already told me NO DOG unless it is a complete outdoor dog....
Too... it would be HELL introducing another cat to Tinky.. something honestly i don't think i can emotionally handle...
If Macy will be put to sleep otherwise, will he still not consider saving her life ?
They will not put Macy to sleep... their website states that the ONLY time the put any animal down is if they are dying from a terminal illness...

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2004, 04:50 AM
Originally posted by aly
I think you could find little Macy a home. Would your husband object to her coming back temporarily? When you find interested people, they could come to your house and visit with her so they can see her real personality. Then tell them to expect a period of adjustment if they took her home.
That is my biggest problem.. I would NEVER think anyone is good enough... Rescue cats has an extensive application process to screen potential adoptees... somthing I can not provide.. and If I could... i just don't feel like I could break down and like anyone enough...

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by guster girl
I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that! Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but, in her email to you, doesn't she state that they can only take tame cats? I'm just curious, cuz you asked if she could take feral cats.....and, could you ask them what she is doing that makes them think she is wild?

Cat Care is the Veteranary Hospital that Rescue Cats works with.. to spay/neuter and do health checks....

i suppose it is the VETERINARY that can't handle Macy... and they are the ones that told me Rescue Cats take ferals.. that is what i was asking her.

I really think that they should be able to handle one scared kitty and differentiate between a feral and a scared cat... If they could get her out of that cage and into a foster home.. Macy could show her true colors.:(

jenluckenbach
04-29-2004, 05:00 AM
Macy's not wild!

Bonnie did the SAME type of thing! It is FEAR! Fear of new situations and fear of being closed in. Keep in mind, she was used to having the great outdoors, and now what does she have???

Bonnie was not even caged, she had an entire room and she panicked BIG TIME! She literally tried to climb the walls.

Macy needs time! She needs someone who will give her one room in their home until she can learn that she is safe.

Bonnie adjusted very well to life indoors, but those first few weeks were hard. Some people would have thought that she would never adjust. (to be honest, she DID go to a new home after she weaned the babies and the people thought EXACTLY that! They did not give her the time to adjust like I had.)

If you can't keep Macy even temporarily, find someone who WILL!. But someone who will work with her not someone who thinks she is a lost cause.

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2004, 05:06 AM
Originally posted by NoahsMommy
Sara,

Could you go to where she is for an hour or so each day until she adjusts? Maybe your presence can help her calm down a bit? Maybe your face will help her to feel better and they can see she's a good kitty?

Do you think she would recognize me?

When I dropped her off I sat with her for a while to say by and showed the lady where her favorite spots to be petted are...

I really just can't make sence why they are acting so inexperienced.. I am sure they have encountered this before.. whereas i haven't...:confused:

Sara luvs her Tinky
04-29-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by jenluckenbach
Macy's not wild!

Bonnie did the SAME type of thing! It is FEAR! Fear of new situations and fear of being closed in. Keep in mind, she was used to having the great outdoors, and now what does she have???

Bonnie was not even caged, she had an entire room and she panicked BIG TIME! She literally tried to climb the walls.

Macy needs time! She needs someone who will give her one room in their home until she can learn that she is safe.

Bonnie adjusted very well to life indoors, but those first few weeks were hard. Some people would have thought that she would never adjust. (to be honest, she DID go to a new home after she weaned the babies and the people thought EXACTLY that! They did not give her the time to adjust like I had.)

If you can't keep Macy even temporarily, find someone who WILL!. But someone who will work with her not someone who thinks she is a lost cause.

that is exactly how I feel..

Like what i said in reply to Kelly.. if they can just get her out of that cage........ it is just like you said... she went from outdoors... to garage ... to a CAGE...

I don't understand why they are not seeming to be putting these pieces together...

I am going to call her today .. and try and explane to her...

*frustrated... sad...sigh*

shouldn't the VET have some kind of "calming" medicine??? Something to transfer her to a foster home???

I have really gained a lot of trust in this rescue group from my research on them... i am really confused....

kimlovescats
04-29-2004, 05:30 AM
Oh this is so sad for both you and poor Macy! :(
Please don't give up on trying to find a place for her, where she will be more understood. I am just so sorry that you are having to deal with this .... please do keep us posted, and good luck!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-29-2004, 08:59 AM
First of all, I'm so sorry. I agree that they should be the "experts" and they're acting like they've never seen a scared cat before.

Anyway, if they are looking for a foster home, couldn't you be that foster home? That way you would know that their resources are behind you for finding her a good home, and Eric would know that it is only a temporary situation.

The only problem with that is then you'd have to say goodbye again....

If being a foster home won't work, I think it might be really calming for Macy if you did go visit. I'm sure she will recognize you and while you're there you make sure they notice how wonderful she is and how she's really NOT a wild cat.

Poor thing had probably never been to the vet before, what did they expect? :(

catmandu
04-29-2004, 09:12 AM
Jen, is ofcourse Right ! Moose , Rocca , and most of the Cats that came to the Hotel , werer hostile , but once they calmed down , they were fine. Macy needs a plavce , where she can be alone , and get used to the situation!

kuhio98
04-29-2004, 09:24 AM
Maybe if you e-mail her pictures you've posted here of Macy getting skritchies and pet'n loves they will reconsider and give her more time to adjust.

Otherwise, I'd go get her and you find her a home. It will take some time, but it can be done.

I know this shelter doesn't put them to sleep, but you won't know who Macy will end up with next. She could run away from wherever they take her and end up at a shelter who doesn't have the same rules.

ramanth
04-29-2004, 09:27 AM
Wishing you and Macy, lots of luck.

emily_the_spoiled
04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I like T&P's Mom's suggestion of may you becoming the foster home. This way it is only temporary (from Eric's perspective) and it will give you more time to work with her. Maybe you would even be able to keep in contact with the people who eventually adopt her (like Jen does for all her fosters)...

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-29-2004, 10:09 AM
I hope you manage to find a solution. It IS very reassuring that they are NO-KILL - so at least they should have the resources to at least give her a while to calm down.

I have had a similar experience with Tilly - my stray who had 2 kittens a few weeks ago. For the first week in the shelter she literally climbed the walls to get away from the caregivers when they went into her area. NOW she loves scritchies etc, and will even allow us to handle her baby, and they are extremely hopeful that she will be homed.

Keeping you in my prayers.

catcrazylady
04-29-2004, 10:17 AM
This is so hard and so sad for you. I'm sorry. I don't have much to offer that hasn't already been said but I see so many cats just like her coming into the shelter. They are terrified and in time will usually settle down. I feel so sorry for them during that time. It is heartbreaking.
If I were you I would just keep checking on her and make sure you know how she is doing. Keep us posted.
Good Luck.

aly
04-29-2004, 10:56 AM
Sara -

You will be able to find her a home yourself if you think more positively. Everyone has to start somewhere. I never thought I could do it either, but you have to muster up the strength and just do it.

The whole process will be much easier on Macy if you could foster her. Then you could use the recue group's extensive application and the burden would basically be on them to find the new home. You'd just have to extend some effort too .. and also keep Macy happy in the meantime.