PDA

View Full Version : i can't get rid of the cat pee!!!

jbttrfly54
09-25-2001, 01:34 PM
does anyone know of a good way to get cat pee out of a carpet WITHOUT replacing the carpet?? My mom has got quite a few spots of soiled carpet in her house...and she's tried many things and it wont go away!! HELP! :confused:

thelmalu99
09-25-2001, 01:53 PM
Hello and Welcome to Pet Talk!

My mom and I were told many years ago by a woman who worked with dogs and cats that Club Soda is the best thing to remove those pee smells so that the pets don't go back and pee in the same spot.

I tried it with my cat Charlie (now @ Rainbow Bridge) and he didn't go back to the same spot. I used this on bare floors, not on carpeting, but maybe it's worth a try for you. I dried the spot, rubbed a lot of Club Soda in, dried it again and then poured fresh Club Soda on and let it soak for a few hours. It did the trick.

Good Luck.

[ September 25, 2001: Message edited by: thelmalu99 ]

wolflady
09-25-2001, 02:12 PM
Hi Charlie and welcome to Pet Talk. The club soda would be worth a try, but if that doesn't work, try looking at the drsfostersmith.com website for cleaners. I've used the stain away cleaner and it has worked pretty well for me. There may be something there that will work for you. Good luck!

NoahsMommy
09-25-2001, 02:23 PM
Our kitten doesn't pee on the floor (thank God!), but our rabbit has done so...we use m hubby's parent's carpet cleaner with pet stain solution. It really works well!

jbttrfly54
09-25-2001, 03:06 PM
well my sister (who lives with my mom) doesn't seem to understand the concept of "cleaning the litter daily" :mad:
I assume that would help in prevention huh? :D
I've used the blacklight and have found MANY spots... :mad:
suppose maybe we could let some club soda sit for a few hours and then use a rug doctor with pet cleaner on it??? :confused:

tmckay
09-25-2001, 03:15 PM
My sister swears by a product called Simple Solution. She can only find it at larger pet supply retail stores, but she says it works.

4 feline house
09-25-2001, 07:19 PM
I remember my mom tried all those enzymatic cleaners, and not a one worked - but then, it had gone past the carpet, into the pad (it usually does), onto the slab, and up into the wallboard. She had to have a major remodeling (or reconstruction, actually). Fortunately, it was restricted to one wall of the living room.

I moved into a house with old pet stains, and again, the enzymatic cleaners were useless. But then, I was trying to get rid of old spots.

I don't have the problem now but I've heard vinegar is very effective. Whatever you do, DON'T use ammonia, because cat urine has ammonia it it. You'll just be inviting them back!

Edwina's Secretary
09-26-2001, 08:42 AM
There is a product for removing wine stains (works quite well for that by the way...even red wine) called Wine-Away. I have found it to be very effective on cat urine as well. It is in wine stores and I've seen it at World Cost Plus.

purrley
09-26-2001, 10:24 AM
Charlie

Faced this dilemma a whole lot - finally had
to replace carpet in one of my bedroooms -
however you might try pulling up the carpet,
painting the floor in the affected areas, then tack the carpet back down. Of course you need to clean that carpet as best ya can with one of those cleaning agents posted by
previous people. Good Luck!!!!

jbttrfly54
09-26-2001, 11:42 AM
I think my mom's tried the vinegar thing, right now she has patches of foil laying on the floors, that's been keeping them away from those area's but the urine smell is just SO OVERWHELMING!! :p I'll have to throw some of these suggestions at her and see what happens.... :D

Cathy Harrison
10-06-2001, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by charlie:
<STRONG>does anyone know of a good way to get cat pee out of a carpet WITHOUT replacing the carpet?? My mom has got quite a few spots of soiled carpet in her house...and she's tried many things and it wont go away!! HELP! :confused:</STRONG>

Dear Charlie

I honestly don't think you will ever get rid of the smell of cat pee, I'm sorry to say! When our cat Othello was alive, he pee'd all over my brother's trainers. We washed them SO many times in our washing machine, but the smell still lingered! He had to throw his trainers away in the end. If anyone does let you know a successful way of getting rid of this smell I'll be really surprised! Good luck anyway! Cathy Harrison

syl
10-06-2001, 08:14 PM
Hi Guys - I'm new to this site! I too have a problem with cat urine. I have three feline friends living with me and my Golden Retriever, Brandy and Yorkshire Terrier, Squirt. Aside from having cat unine on my carpets, recently I have one of my cats urinating on the furniture (couch in particular) in the Rec Room. Since I have three cats I don't know which is the guilty party!!! It is not a litter box problem as the boxes are cleaned at least 3 times a day. None appear sick, no change in home life so I am baffled why this is happening. Any suggestions - all will be welcome! Thanks, Syl

C.C.'s Mom
10-08-2001, 05:50 AM
I can only recommend the vinegar. It works best. I also spray it when my male cat starts doing his nails on the wallpaper. He won't touch it after I sprayed some on

nononicki
10-08-2001, 12:24 PM
This is really boring..but...I just added a new boy to our household from our local shelter about 3 wks. ago. That makes 2 boys & a girl for us. Never had a urine smell problem until now. Watched my new boy using the litter this morning & low and behold...the reason for the smell is...when he uses the box, he points his bottom in the air and urinates right over the side!!!!!
He is a big cat, so large side litter box won't work. I have come up with this idea for prevention..I'll let you know how it works. Tomorrow I'm off to the my local Canadian Tire Hardware store & am going to buy a large, clear plastic storage box. They can be up to a foot & a half deep. I will cut a "U" shaped entrance on the narrow side & fill with litter. THUS....The Giant Litter Box...Maybe if it is clear it won't be intimidating for them..anyway..worth a try. I know one thing , Benny wil NOT be able to pee over the top.
Then, I will try the soda water method to get rid of the current overspill smell problem!!!
Sounds like a mini-series....hahaha
Sorry to bore you all but I'm sure I'm not the only one to have this problem. My new boy Benny is 6yrs. old & has had a pretty tough life so far...I Really want him to experience the good life now, with lots of TLC.
Love to have any input!!!
Unfortunately, alot of the cleaners previously mentioned, are not available in Canada. :confused:

wolflady
10-08-2001, 04:42 PM
Hi nononicki, and welcome to pet talk! LOL LOL I was rollin' when I read your post. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the cat peeing over the edge of the litter box!! :D Is this a male cat thing?? Anyway, are there any covered litterboxes available there in Canada?? Covered litterboxes work great...not only do they keep all the contents inside :) but they also help in odor reduction. Good luck and let us know how it goes!!

nononicki
10-10-2001, 12:27 PM
As a sidebar to my reply on Oct. 8th....
re: The Giant Litter Box
Yahoo Yahoo The giant litter box works!!!!
I bought a 105 litre storage container, of clear plastic...cut a "U" shape entrance at one end....add litter...and "TAD DAAAA" problem solved. Bennie now pees against the side & not on the carpet!!!! :D :D
Mommy is very happy now!!!!!