PDA

View Full Version : My bluepoint Siamese doesn't like me.

purrley
09-17-2001, 11:52 AM
4 yrs ago I bought a 14 week old bluepoint
Siamese kitten and immediately he was afraid
of me, wouldn't let me hold or pet him.
I thought it was just a phase, but now here
it is four years from then - I can pick him
up (if I can catch him) and he stiffens up
like he thinks I'm gonna hurt him. He cowers
when I try and pet him. I've never, never
laid a hand on him and never have been cross
with him whatsoever. Why do you think he's this way????

4 feline house
09-17-2001, 08:08 PM
Some cats just don't like being picked up. Even the ones that will spend hours in your lap or cuddled up against you at night will stiffen and struggle when you try to hold them in your arms.

tmckay
09-18-2001, 03:17 PM
I have a kitty that is 5 years old and just in the past couple of years has started to come around. He used to be just like what you described. He still doesn't care to be picked-up, but now likes to be petted. He still hides a lot and sometimes when you approach him he runs. It has taken a lot of time, love and patience. Your kitty may come around slowly. I doubt that your kitty doesn't like you, he is probably just really really timid for some reason. Have you spoken to your vet about ways to "bring him out of his shell"?

purrley
09-20-2001, 07:43 AM
Spencer - no I doubt about the abuse.
I bought him from a breeder of which I have
also bought two other Siamese Cats and they
are lovable. This blue point has just the
weirdest personality I've ever seen and its
kinda sad since he is the most beautiful
creature I've ever seen :)

thelmalu99
09-20-2001, 12:04 PM
Purrley,
My cat Elvis is a strange one, too. He is extremely affectionate and LOVES, LOVES, LOVES to be cuddled up in someone's lap. He does not, however, like to be picked up or moved in any way. If he's in my lap and I need to get up, I have to just stand up abruptly and let him jump off. I have tried to gently move him or pick him up, but he gets upset, and boy do I have the scars to prove it!
We suspect that Elvis may have been abused because one of his front legs was obviously broken at some point, although he may have been in an accident when he was out on the streets.
He has gotten a lot better than he was when I got him, but he still makes it very clear what he does like and what he doesn't. He's a true New Yorker-a tough cookie. ;) That's just the way he is.

purrley
09-20-2001, 12:29 PM
Thank you thelmalu for your input and may
I say everyone in SLC and of course the
animals are with you tough New Yorker's in
this difficult time - LOVE TO YOU :) :)

GLynne
09-25-2001, 03:38 PM
Here's 2 1/2 cents worth from a novice cat person. It is true, cats like all four on the floor. It has been hard to understand here with the two children, that cats only look like stuffed dollies. They are short to us and sweet and cuddly. To themselves some are dangerous tigers full of will and ferocity. They are CATS and proud of it.

A 14 week old kitten is a formed being. It is hard to change a kitten once its mother has taught it the ways of the world. I always look to see that the mother used the litter box ok and kept herself clean.

My oldest cat is a real grump and bites me hard. Hard with blood and bruises. He comes around and makes nice to get his chin scratched and for petting above the shoulders, when he has enough he bares his fangs and I shoo him off. A nice necessary brushing, he doesn't groom himself, and any medical treatment and I have to pay for a long time.

I played with him by letting him catch and kill my hands when he was little. The little claws and baby teeth feel tickly and good at 2 lbs. At 13 lbs. with a real serious hunter it ain't so much fun.
Bad bad bad way to play with a kitten.

Trimming his claws always seems to quiet some agression. He likes to see me jump and howl when he hurts me. I'm not kidding here. Since we got two peaceful cats he has an outlet for his great and terrible catness.

Your cat is what he is. He has nothing against you. He is living out his cat life as he sees it. All you can change is you. You have to expect him to be himself. Honor his wildcatness, great predator of the forest. Learn to enjoy it. You didn't do anything wrong. Try a little behavior modification if you have the patience. Give a lucious snack on your lap when he peacefully settles there but don't hold or restrain the incredible CAT. Don't tell him that he is short and that the world is full of dogs, cars and mean boys with sticks.

Regards,

Lynn