PDA

View Full Version : A meaningful conversation

Logan
04-28-2004, 12:59 PM
Paul is a British soldier, serving in Iraq. He also happens to be the husband of our good friend, Carrie, a long time Pet Talk member and advisor. A few minutes ago, I saw "Paul" pop up on my Instant Messenger. I assumed it was Carrie, and I haven't "talked" with her in ages, so I jumped on to speak with her. I have been friends with Paul and Carrie for almost 4 years now. We met through Pet Talk. It was Paul, from Iraq, on the IM. He is about 50 miles (he said "50 clicks") south of Baghdad. Lord have mercy, I hardly knew how to tell him how much appreciation and support he has from many Americans. I told him to please be safe and to know that he and his fellow soldiers are much loved by many. One comment he made struck a chord with me (one of many):
"well i,m sure honesty and bravery will win the day and bring some sort of peace to this unsettled state"

Please keep Paul and his family, plus all of the other brave men and women, and our leaders in your prayers. I know you already do, but this quick IM conversation affected me more than I can tell you.

Cataholic
04-28-2004, 01:11 PM
Oh, Logan. I don't know what to say! How touching. Keeping him and all the others in my prayers.

Edwina's Secretary
04-28-2004, 02:25 PM
Although I am passionately opposed to the war in Iraq, my heart bleeds for every soldier and the family of every soldier there. As I recall, Carrie has a couple of kids, right?

May peace be with them and all of us.

Karen
04-28-2004, 02:44 PM
I met Carrie - and her two kids - at Stonhenge a couple Januaries ago. They are a wonderful family, we had fun at a pub and drew swans and had tea. Her (husband) Paul, and all of them will be in my prayers.

Pssst - "klicks" is actually military-speak for kilometers. So he's only about 31 miles from Baghdad.

Logan
04-28-2004, 02:45 PM
Thank you, Karen, for explaining "clicks" to me. That's how he spelled it, too.

I pray for him, and the others, to be safe.

jackiesdaisy
04-28-2004, 04:28 PM
Logan, you must have been so surprised when Paul came on.
I'm glad you told him how appreciative we all are for the job they are doing along side our troops. it's been ages since I heard from Carrie and I know how worried she must be about Paul. Of course we will pray for Paul, Carrie and the children, that Paul will come home safe as well as all the other fine young men and women serving their country.
Jackie

tatsxxx11
04-28-2004, 04:36 PM
Oh Logan! What a touching moment that must have been and what a surprise! It's been so long since we've heard from our dear Carrie; so many of us here miss her wisdom and advice. I hope and pray that he will be safe and returned home to Carrie and the kids very soon. Thanks for sharing this with us Logan.

RICHARD
04-28-2004, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by Logan
One comment he made struck a chord with me (one of many):
"well i,m sure honesty and bravery will win the day and bring some sort of peace to this unsettled state"

Only the Brits can take a scenario, step down the seriousness of the subject and deliver it in a matter-of-fact statement that makes you wonder if you are looking at the same picture.

God bless him.

Do you know what branch/unit he is with?

Karen
04-28-2004, 05:11 PM
Originally posted by RICHARD

Do you know what branch/unit he is with?

If she does, she should not post it. It's never smart to publicly state the whereabouts of any particular military unit, and could, in fact, get (Carrie's husband) Paul in trouble.

RICHARD
04-28-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Karen
If she does, she should not post it. It's never smart to publicly state the whereabouts of any particular military unit, and could, in fact, get (Carrie's husband) Paul in trouble.

Sorry,

It was relatively east to find out the units deployed in the area...

http://www.operations.mod.uk/telic/forces.htm

The Brits have been stationed in the southern parts of Iraq through out the campaign.....As an amateur military historian was just interested in the history and names of the British forces!

Doesn't the First Batallion of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders pique a little interest in you?:D

Logan
04-28-2004, 07:29 PM
Richard, I have no idea which battalion he is in, actually. In fact, when I asked him where he was, I asked at the same time whether it was ok for him to even tell me that. He told me quickly, so I feel safe in giving that information.

Thank you all for thinking of our friends.

Logan

anna_66
04-29-2004, 09:05 AM
How surprised you must have been Logan. I actually had no idea that Carrie's husband was even in the service.
That being said, I will most definately keep him (and his family) in my thoughts and prayers.
Anna

Rachel
04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
Logan, I saw your note elsewhere as well, but didn't put two and two together to figure out that this was the Carrie who we know so well. How intense a moment that must have been to communicate with Paul in Iraq. I think there are several other Pet Talkers who have husbands deployed over there as well and they, as all of our service men there, are constantly on my mind. I only hope our country can properly honor these men for the sacrifices they are making each and every day. I can't even imagine how difficult this is for them and for their families. God bless and protect them.