PDA

View Full Version : I would like some advice about new cat...

Dindin
09-14-2001, 10:24 AM
I hope someone can give me some advice :confused:
A week ago I adopted another cat - a female about 2 years old. I have 3 others - 2 females of 13 years and a young male of 2 years old.
How can I get them to accept each other?
I hold the new cat in a room alone for a few days, now she has the entire house to herself, and I think the other cats (to say the least!) don't like it.
The thing is that the newcomer is the one shouting and spitting the loudest at the others.
I’m sure they won’t love each other – I was hoping for “cold peace”.
I’ll be grateful for any advice…
:)

Maresche
09-14-2001, 11:54 AM
Dindin,

How long has your new kitty had free range of the house? If it has only been a couple of days, give it more time..cats can take weeks to months to sort things out between themselves. What's probably going on is that they are trying to establish a new hierarchy..who's gonna be top cat and that can take awhile to do. Even when it is sorted out, it is very likely that they won't all be the best of friends.

For now I'd suggest letting them "discuss" the matter amongst themselves. As long as no blood is drawn and its just hissing and spitting :rolleyes: , they should be just fine.

Keep us updated as to how things go.

wolflady
09-14-2001, 12:46 PM
Hello Dindin,
What I would suggest, is keeping the new cat in one room only for awhile, so the others can adjust to her smell. Keep cat interludes brief for a week or so, depending on how you think everyone is reacting. It's true that there will be some squabbling when it comes to organizing the dominance ranks, but once everything is sorted out, it will be more peaceful.
Be sure to give lots of attention and praise (maybe more than normal) to your other cats, so they don't feel like they will be ignored because of this new cat. Slowly introduce them. Maybe have the new cat on a leash and sit with her, while the others enter the room and see from a distance. Also, if it gets to the point where they are all cohabitating in the room, praise the other cats and give them treats whenever the new cat is around, so they will associate the new cat with good things :)
Be sure to let us know how it goes!!

yorkster
09-15-2001, 12:57 AM
Yup, I agree with everyone else. Take it slow and easy introducing them all. Good luck, and let us know how it goes.

Dindin
09-15-2001, 02:43 AM
Hi – and thanks all for the good advice…
I did just that – the new cat stayed for 3 days closed in one room, and I showed her to the others while she was closed in a kitty-box.
I let her out from the room two days ago, and I think she thinks I’m hers – she tries to prevent my other cats to come close to me. A lot of hissing and spitting… :(
Anyway – I live in the country, and she discovered the kitty-door I have for the other cats, and she figured out really fast how to use it – I found her outside hunting…
I really hope all of them will eventually get along all right…
(I hope I’ll have the patience for that too :D )
Anyway – I’ll be happy to hear more ideas as how to reduce the tension between them.

TheAntiPam
09-15-2001, 05:13 AM
Welcome, Dindin, and best wishes to your kitties! You are on the right track.

We humans are not allowed to really understand how and why cats become friends. ;) But giving them time usually helps. In my house, I had an adult cat that really did not like a new kitten, and never did become friendly with it. But eventually tolerance reigned, and each ignored the other.

As others have said, watch for real fights, but noise and showing off is part of the process. I don't think it even helps much to interfere - but it can get you scratched up. :mad:

Good luck, and tell us more of your fur family when you get a chance.