PDA

View Full Version : KY Humane Society euthanized 45 cats

lizzielou742
04-28-2004, 10:07 AM
I don't even know what I think about this. Was there anything that could be done? Please read this article.

http://www.channelcincinnati.com/news/2999617/detail.html

sirrahved
04-28-2004, 10:11 AM
I think it was probably the best thing to do. No kitties will have to suffer, and it won't be passed on outside of the shelter. Poor kitties never got a home...

moosmom
04-28-2004, 11:00 AM
That is VERY sad! :( I had an outbreak of Feline Distemper when I was living in CT. I had rescued 2 mamas and their babies. They went down hill VERY fast. I felt totally helpless. I was told by my vet that I shouldn't take in any more babies for one year, as Feline Panleukopenia stays airborne for up to one year.

It is a very deadly disease that causes pain and suffering. I think sirrahved is right that it probably WAS the best thing to euthanize them in this case. At least they didn't have to suffer.

RIP sweet kitties!!

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-28-2004, 11:09 AM
How sad. I would never want to have to make that decision! However difficult to accept, I CAN see that it was nessesary for the greater good.........like when all the cattle had to be destroyed in entire areas to prevent foot and mouth from spreading.

I suppose all we can do it hope that medical science continues to progress, and eventually finds cures for all these terrible diseases!

Craftlady
04-28-2004, 11:14 AM
It stays airborne for up to a year???? I find that puzzeling since you would disinfect the house etc. I haven't seen the story on the news since we have the dish t.v. we dont' get the KY stations. I see from the site Cincinnati station picked up story.
I'll have to pay close attention. I feel it was in best interest of the animals. Sounds like an awful disease.

jazzcat
04-28-2004, 11:17 AM
That story was on our local news last week here in East TN.

Very sad.

Ally Cat's Mommy
04-28-2004, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by Craftlady
It stays airborne for up to a year???? I find that puzzeling since you would disinfect the house etc. I

I can believe that! I lost a Ridgeback puppy to Parvo virus some years ago, and was told by the vet to destroy all the bedding, etc, and not to get another dog for at least 6 months.