PDA

View Full Version : Kitten on a diet?

lizzielou742
04-28-2004, 09:30 AM
My vet told me to put my cat on a diet (1/3 cup of Iams Weight Loss a day) about a month ago b/c he's got a little saggy pouch between his back legs. I am worried though, b/c he's only 6 months old and has no other signs of weight gain - I can barely feel his ribs when I run my hands along his sides, if I stand over him and look and him from above, his little figure looks like they say it should, etc. My cat is devouring the 1/3 cup of food a day and begging for more. Am I just being weak or should I really go back to his normal food schedule (1/2 cup of Iams Light a day)? I haven't really noticed much weight loss, maybe a little. Is it OK to put a kitten on a diet? Should I get a second opinion?

lizzielou742
04-28-2004, 09:43 AM
Well, after reading around these message boards a little more, I see that some people dislike Iams for their cats. I am a first-time cat owner and was feeding Iams b/c my friend's mom works for Iams in Dayton, OH and always raves about it. Should I switch to Nutro or some other food that's better? All opinions will be appreciated! Sorry to ask such juvenile questions - like I said, first time cat owner!!

Lizzielou742

lizzielou742
04-28-2004, 09:44 AM
Here's a pic of little Tito, my furkid!!

sirrahved
04-28-2004, 10:19 AM
It never hurts to get a second opinion.

Denyce
04-28-2004, 11:01 AM
I would definately get a second opinion. I have never heard of putting a growing kitten on a weight loss diet. But then they usually don't have weight problems. But that just sounds hinkey to me....:confused:

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-28-2004, 11:04 AM
Tito is adorable!

I wouldn't worry too much about that little saggy pouch. Lots of kitties get it after they've been fixed. I really don't know why, but it's quite common and not necessarily of sign of being overweight. If Tito starts getting really "beefy" looking and really filling out like a big hefty boy, well then it might be time to consider putting him on a diet.

I'm kind of surprised your vet suggested a diet for a kitten because I know they need special nutrients that a diet food probably wouldn't have.

As for food type, everyone has their favorites for various reasons. I've heard Nutro is good but have never used it. 18 years ago my vet recommended Science Diet for Tubby, so that's what he and Peanut have gotten their entire lives - and Tubby is 18 and Peanut is 15 1/2, so it can't be all that bad. ;-)

Maybe Tito needs a little friend to keep him busy.....just a suggestion. ;) :D

Barbara
04-28-2004, 11:12 AM
Debbie: look under Cat Behavior: Tito's brother/sister is already planned:D

lizzielou742
04-28-2004, 11:26 AM
You guys are so good!!!! I took the recommendation of a friend to go to this vet, and the more and more I look at Tito, I realize even though he does have the pouch (he is neutered) he certainly doesn't look overweight!! He looks hungry! I exercise him as much as I can, and would love to get him a playmate after I move this summer, like I've said in the cat behavior threads. I think I am going to take him off the Weight Control food and gradually switch him to either Nutro (which is what the shelter fed him before I got him) or the Science Diet. I have read a lot about Science Diet and it sounds great. Anyone know any good websites with feeding guidelines for kittens? Thank you so much!!! I feel like such a goof for asking these questions but you all have been such a great help!! Thank you!!

Logan
04-28-2004, 01:28 PM
Denyce has provided me with a new word!!! LOL!!!!! "hinkey"

What a great word to describe what I was feeling about the advice you got!!!!! :D

There is a lot of press about Iams and their former practices of testing on animals. It's not a problem for me, because my cats don't like Iams food, wet or dry. I don't get all wrapped up in the "hoopla" because I feel they have addressed the problems sufficiently. None of my animals are on Iams food because we are satisfied with what we are using (Flint River Ranch for both dogs and cats). But I think Nutro would be an excellent choice, either way.

One of my friends, Missy, has a site that does nutritional comparisons of many dog and cats foods. You might want to check it out. www.greatgoldens.com

Logan

Denyce
04-28-2004, 01:53 PM
Logan,

Glad you like the word....it does seem to fit in some situations:D

I am not sure where I got it from...just was there in my head one day.
:rolleyes: :eek: :D

Denyce

lizzielou742
04-29-2004, 02:31 PM
I am replying to this thread that I started to see if my new signature works. I hope it does but I am not very good with this HTML thing so we'll see. Sorry to post a useless message!

lizzielou742
04-29-2004, 02:32 PM
OK I know I am talking to myself now, but I really don't understand this picture thing. Do I have to start my own website just to have a link to use as my signature? I'm so confused!!!

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Lizzielou - go here (http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7406) for a good tutorial on posting pics here on PT. Good luck 'cause we really, really, really like pics. :D

lizzielou742
04-29-2004, 02:57 PM
Let's see if it work's this time.....thanks T&P's Mom!!!

lizzielou742
04-29-2004, 03:02 PM
This one should be smaller....sorry to annoy everyone!!! Everyone just ignore me until I get this figured out!! Sorry! :-)

lizzielou742
04-29-2004, 03:03 PM
OK I took them off b/c the files were way too big, but at least now I know how to do it. Thanks again T&P's mom and I'm going to upload a smaller pic. tonight from my camera - I've got some really cute ones. Thanks!!

lizzielou742
05-03-2004, 08:00 AM
Here is a pic of how Tito looks from the side. I don't know that he looks overweight. He is going to the vet next week for his 6-month checkup so I guess I will see what he weighs then. I don't own a scale - I prefer not to weigh myself! So the kitty doesn't get weighed either!
I don't think this little pouch warrants being on a limited diet (only 1/3 c. of food a day). However I did take him off kitten food and he is now finally (permanently I hope) on Science Diet Adult Light. I hope I don't have to change his food again - he's been on 4 foods since January!

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid114/p8136840396082fc49a4457fcb35f3230/f8d1eaec.jpg

I have already gotten a lot of feedback and no one so far has agreed with the vet that he needs to be on a diet b/c of this pouch. If I get more feedback that says the same, I will take him to another vet for a 2nd opinion. I know I have asked this question a lot and you all are probably tired of hearing about it, so if you have advised me on this before, please ignore me!! OK Thanks!

Denyce
05-03-2004, 08:25 AM
Good Morning,

I hate to say this to you since you don't really want to change his food again but he is a kitten until he is a year old and for proper development really needs to be on kitten food for a full year. That is why I can't believe the vet said he should be on a diet. Anyway that is my 2 cents about it. He really is just a beautiful boy. :D

Denyce

lizzielou742
05-03-2004, 08:32 AM
I wanted to keep him on the kitten food, and of course I don't mind changing him back if that is the best thing for him. I was just advised by the vet to put him on adult food to prevent weight gain. I'm seriously going to take him to another vet. Thanks for your advice, it's what I have been thinking too.

kimlovescats
05-03-2004, 12:23 PM
In my opinion ... the "pouch" has nothing to do with his weight! Is he playful .... I'm sure he is .... then he will work off any excess weight (which I doubt he has) and he needs plenty of calories at his young age! I would get another opinion (vet) for sure!

He is absolutely adorable .... please continue posting pictures of him! :)

lizzielou742
05-03-2004, 12:51 PM
I have some more pics but they are all out of focus (taken before I got a digital camera) so when I get home I will take some more and post in the next few days. I am gald everyone thinks he is a cutie pie like I do!!! He also has the best purrrsonality .... looves to climb in my lap and be loved on. You'd never know he was a stray b/c he's so friendly around everyone!

He is very playful, I try to have at least two interactive play sessions with him for at least 15 minutes each. They end up being longer than that though! I could play with him for hours at a time. He gets hyper in the morning and runs circles around me when I am getting ready for work. He certainly burns off a lot of calories!!

I am going to call another vet today and make an appointment for him. I need to get a record of what all shots he has from the vet I have already taken him to first. I had it all written down but lost it :mad:

lizzielou742
05-03-2004, 12:53 PM
BTW thanx Logan I really liked that webpage!!! Lots and lots of info!!

Cataholic
05-04-2004, 04:52 PM
I took Monte in to the vet last week, and at 9 months, he weighs 10.2 :eek: :eek: I commented on the weight (as he gained 1/2 pound in 3 weeks). He said, "he is a kitten, and still growing..."

I took that to mean my boy is still growing, and weight gain is to be expected!

Logan
05-04-2004, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by lizzielou742
BTW thanx Logan I really liked that webpage!!! Lots and lots of info!!

Missy really has done a marvelous job, hasn't she? I can't believe all the research she has done in such a short amount of time. I hope you and others can get the nutritional information that you need for dog and cat food from there, and if there is a particular food you want to know about, and it isn't listed, she'll research it for you.

Logan

jillian
05-07-2004, 08:49 AM
if your gonna switch try a quality food
you will get better results since these foods are more protein based that grain based.

Eagle Pack Holistic/Regular/Hairball all are great
Sensible Choice
Fromms
Excel
Nutro
California Natural
Back to Basics
Felidae
Solid Gold
Artemis
Pinnacle

these are top of the line cat food, they use quality meat and less grain, hence LESS Weight gain.

Iams, Science Diet (sorry no offence) use more grain than protein.
purina, friskies, meow mix etc anything you can buy at Walmart or a grocery store are worse & pretty much 90% grains, which adds no nutritional value to your cat. Eukanuba which is made by Iams the same. The food listed above are catorgized top of the line, some you may have never heard of because they don't advertise, their money goes into their product not marketing.

They may not be mulit-millionare companies but their pet food is the best. Stick with those and your cat will do great. I don't push any particular one, they are all good.