PDA

View Full Version : RIP Sammy

ramanth
04-28-2004, 08:48 AM
Those whose dogs have been affected by ProHeart6, mourn the loss of Sammy. :( He finally found peace on April 26th.

His story can be found here:

Sammy's Story (http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/survivor2.html#sammy)

RIP sweet boy.

CountryWolf07
04-28-2004, 11:01 AM
Poor boy.

Those kind of things ticks me off..

My Peanuts
04-29-2004, 03:25 PM
First, how can this be on the market!?!:mad:
Secondly, did I miss something. I don't think Sammy died, he's under the survivors

Sudilar
04-29-2004, 07:19 PM
How tragic. It shouldn't have happened. RIP, dear Sammy.

That shot is too dangerous to still be offered. Didn't Kia have a life-threatening reaction to the shot also? How scary. There are still unsuspecting petowners out there thinking that they are helping their beloved pet and in the end, tragedy can strike.

Kater
04-29-2004, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by My Peanuts
First, how can this be on the market!?!:mad:
I know, what is it still doing on the market!?! Giving your dog heartworm medication once a month is really not such a big hassle and if pet guardians are properly informed then I'd guess very few would be willing to take the risk associated with PH6. I can only hope veterinarians are NOW being upfront with their clients in terms of the likelihood of adverse reactions to this shot. This is truly tragic. :(

Sammy you were a beautiful boy who brought so much joy to your family. Rest in Peace Always.

ramanth
04-30-2004, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by My Peanuts
Secondly, did I miss something. I don't think Sammy died, he's under the survivors
Peanuts, he was an original survivor when the website was put together and his story shared. He just recently passed away.

They just didn't add the info to the story part...just to the list here: Memorials/Survivors (http://www.dogsadversereactions.com/moxidectin/memorial.html)

We have also lost "PC" this month. :(

Originally posted by Sulidar
Didn't Kia have a life-threatening reaction to the shot also?
Yes, she had a Grand Mal Seizure and nearly bled to death. Had to have a blood transfusion. I'm sure she would of died if I hadn't of gotten her to MSU in time. And I'm grateful I live so close to MSU. We were lucky, Kia and I.

Sudilar
04-30-2004, 09:13 AM
I remember following Kia's story and worrying and praying over the outcome. I am so glad that Kia is a survivor.

I think that all vets should tell you of the possible side effects (DEATH) before offering the shot. Actually, I think they should not offer it at all. It is too dangerous.

Everyone, whenever a new drug or injection is offered for your pet, please, please ask for possible side effects. Hopefully your vet will be honest with you. Ask them if they would administer the new drug to their own dog.

I will not give my dogs Rimadyl or the ProHeart6 shot. Too many serious (and fatal) side effects.

lovemyshiba
04-30-2004, 09:28 AM
What a horrifying story.
May Sammy Rest In Peace.

My vet offers the ProHeart6 shot. Before Kia's reaction happened, I had gotten a letter in the mail about it, about starting my dogs on it. I was skeptical, so I posted about it here.
Dixieland Dancer was the one who advised me against it, and she gave me some information about it.
I also asked a vet who comes into the restaurant where I work about it, and he said they offer if as well. I asked him if he had heard all of the horror stories, and he said yes, but that it was only a small percentage of dogs, and that the convenience was great for some people.
I don't think it's that hard to remember something once a month.

ramanth
04-30-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I also asked a vet who comes into the restaurant where I work about it, and he said they offer if as well. I asked him if he had heard all of the horror stories, and he said yes, but that it was only a small percentage of dogs, and that the convenience was great for some people.
That's one of the answers that really burns me. I mean come on... who are the ones saying it's only affecting a small percentage of dogs? The makers of PH6. :rolleyes: :mad:

And when people say the benefits outwiegh the risks. Oh, I see.. so you like playing Russian Roulette with your dogs life? geez. Not to mention the memo that Fort Dodge sent out that said something to the effect of, 'PH6 is okay, but your dog might die.' :eek: :eek:

Sudilar
04-30-2004, 12:33 PM
Just tell us the side effect can be DEATH. That's all I need to know to stay away from that drug like the plague!!!!!
Anything with DEATH as an outcome can't possibly outweigh the benefit of the drug. I just hope the vets tell the unsuspecting clients of the death side effect.

Kater
04-30-2004, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Sudilar
I will not give my dogs Rimadyl or the ProHeart6 shot. Too many serious (and fatal) side effects.
Rimadyl is another drug that really scares me. The companies that make these drugs have too much power. And the other part of the problem is that so many veterinarians don't take their jobs seriously enough, in my opinion. It *seems* like they just read whatever propaganda these companies mail them and take it at face value. C'mon people, LOOK AT THE SOURCE!

lovemyshiba
04-30-2004, 11:22 PM
Originally posted by Kater
Rimadyl is another drug that really scares me. The companies that make these drugs have too much power. And the other part of the problem is that so many veterinarians don't take their jobs seriously enough, in my opinion. It *seems* like they just read whatever propaganda these companies mail them and take it at face value. C'mon people, LOOK AT THE SOURCE!

I believe Kito has taken Rimadyl before, when he hurt his leg.
I had no idea it was bad--can you give me some more information??

And I know what you mean Kimmy--if one dog dies from this shot, it's one too many. I don't care what the statistics are--just think, if the statistics were that one in four dogs may die from it, I would most definitely be playing Russian Roulette.
Again, what is so hard about remembering to give your dogs a pill or tablet once a month??

cloverfdx
05-01-2004, 03:15 AM
Ohh that is heartbreaking :(

Rest in Peace dear Sammy.

Sudilar
05-01-2004, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by lovemyshiba
I believe Kito has taken Rimadyl before, when he hurt his leg.
I had no idea it was bad--can you give me some more information??

Rimadyl link (http://www.srdogs.com/Pages/rimadylfr.html)

Before Killian's first liver episode, he was on Rimadyl for a while. A short time later, he was put on Metronidazole which threw him into a severe liver episode that put him into de-tox for two days and the loss of 15 lbs. in about one week.

However, there are some medical indications where Rimadyl is the only option. IF Rimadyl is used...........liver panels MUST be monitored regularly!!!!!