PDA

View Full Version : Last night I got a...

BitsyNaceyDog
04-28-2004, 06:58 AM
Last night I got a call from my mom saying their was a prairie dog who desperately needed a home. I called the guy and went to meet him and his prairie dog. The PD was living in a cage not suitable for a rat. It was eating a walmart hamster diet and had scaring in his face. It could hardly move, it had nothing to do, no toys or anything to chew. He had very little bedding and no way at all to burrow. So of corse I brought him home. Despite his poor living conditions (which I consider to be abusive) he is actually very friendly. I called Justin on my way home and told him to get a better cage set up. He now has a much bigger cage with enough bedding to burrow and he has an igloo and chew sticks. Justin named him Wyatt. We're happy to have him join our "rescue zoo":)

Logan
04-28-2004, 08:32 AM
Oh good! I'm glad you are going to have him and help him have a happy life!!! :)

Fox-Gal
04-28-2004, 09:39 AM
Oh I love prairie dogs, they are so cute.

Good for you, taking him in. I'm sure he will be much happier with people that love and care for him.

aly
04-28-2004, 11:21 AM
PICTURES PLEASE !! :D

I'm glad you saved little Wyatt from that NASTY situation. I hope that will soon be a distant memory for the little guy.

Desert Arabian
04-28-2004, 11:29 AM
YAY! That's awesome! I am so glad you rescued the little guy! I really wanna see pictures!PICTURES! PICTURES! PICTURES! I am sooo jealous, I would love to have a little PD (or a squirrel)! I love rodents! :p

Did you check and make sure that it is not illegal to keep PD's as pets in Florida!? I know in Wisconsin (and other states) they are banned thanks to the monkey pox outbreak. :(

Wyatt, welcome home buddy! :D

ChrisH
04-28-2004, 01:18 PM
That's great!! :) Bless you for rescuing Wyatt. :)

luckies4me
04-28-2004, 02:44 PM
PLEASE be VERY careful telling people, especially online. Prarie dogs are NOT to be sold, or given away at this time and both you and the man you got him from could get into some very serious trouble. Chances are if someone finds out he will be euthanized and there is nothing you can do about it, especially since you don't have his original paper work?

"that may carry the monkeypox virus.''
2. What Does the Rule Prohibit? (21 CFR 1240.63(a))
21 CFR 1240.63(a)(1) contains several general prohibitions. In
brief, under 21 CFR 1240.63(a)(1)(i), regardless of your status (such
as a pet dealer, pet owner, researcher, animal trapper, zoological park
administrator, etc.), you must not capture, offer to capture,
transport, offer to transport, sell, barter, or exchange, offer to
sell, barter, or exchange, distribute, offer to distribute, or release
into the environment:
[sbull] Prairie dogs (Cynomys sp.),
[sbull] African Tree squirrels (Heliosciurus sp.),
[sbull] Rope squirrels (Funisciurus sp.),
[sbull] African Dormice (Graphiurus sp.),
[sbull] Gambian giant pouched rats (Cricetomys sp.),
[sbull] Brush-tailed porcupines (Atherurus sp.),
[sbull] Striped mice (Hybomys sp.), or
[sbull] Any other animal so prohibited by order of the Commissioner "

Source:http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/2003/03-27557.htm

Please read this docket very carefully.

I would also suggest joining Chins and Prarie Dogs. They will give you lots more information on the current ban of Prarie Dogs.

http://chinsandprairiedogs.com/forum/index.php

I am glad he's away from that home but you must really be careful at this time due to the ban. Even shelters are having their PD's taking away to be euthanized.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-28-2004, 02:59 PM
Thank you Cass. I had no idea. The pet shop in town use to sell them, but now doesn't, I didn't know why. I'm heart broke, thats so sad. Thank you so much, I will be careful.

luckies4me
04-28-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by KBlaix
Thank you Cass. I had no idea. The pet shop in town use to sell them, but now doesn't, I didn't know why. I'm heart broke, thats so sad. Thank you so much, I will be careful.

Ya it really sucks. :( I know a lot of people who own PD's and the thought of having someone take away their pets is just horrible. Keep in mind EVERYONE, that the docket used to include RABBITS, which are going to be the next target! They are already writing dockets to make the possession of rabbits illegal as well. Laws like this pass each and every day and it is our responsibility to write to these people to stop it. Thankfully they took the rabbits out, but can you believe it? Next thing you know, our birds will be gone, and it's already happening to many reptiles as well!

Edit: I meant "were" adding rabbit dockets, not currently thank god!

Fox-Gal
04-28-2004, 05:44 PM
I do remember on the news here in Florida, not to long ago, where they did stop all pet stores from selling P.D. for health reasons. But I didn't hear anything about them being illegal to have in Florida, so who knows.

I'd say call a pet store or vet in your area and just ask if there are illegal now. Of course don't say a word about yours. I do know a woman that has 2 and she takes them to my vet all the time and he seem to have no problem with her having them. Then again my vet is too nice sometimes.

I do hope they are still legal here, it will make it a lot easier on you if you even need a vet's care for him.

Fingers crossed it all works out fo you.

I really would like to know Florida's laws on them. That woman I know has asked if we wanted to take her two in, if they have to move and can't take them.

Uabassoon
04-28-2004, 05:47 PM
Congrats on resucing a prarie dog, they are so cute :)

luckies4me
04-28-2004, 05:56 PM
Originally posted by Fox-Gal
I do remember on the news here in Florida, not to long ago, where they did stop all pet stores from selling P.D. for health reasons. But I didn't hear anything about them being illegal to have in Florida, so who knows.

I'd say call a pet store or vet in your area and just ask if there are illegal now. Of course don't say a word about yours. I do know a woman that has 2 and she takes them to my vet all the time and he seem to have no problem with her having them. Then again my vet is too nice sometimes.

I do hope they are still legal here, it will make it a lot easier on you if you even need a vet's care for him.

Fingers crossed it all works out fo you.

I really would like to know Florida's laws on them. That woman I know has asked if we wanted to take her two in, if they have to move and can't take them.

It's not illegal in most states to have them, but they cannot be sold, given away, transported (except to and from the vet clinic) etc. because of the threat of Monkey pox. If you are caught doing so, you can get into some serious trouble. The CDC is trying to pass a bill that bans them all together, not even adding a grandfather clause meaning that everyone who owns a prarie dog will have to surrender it to the state to be humanely euthanized. Some say the bill has already passed, but I am not sure on that. So they may not be illegal to own as of yet, but they are illegal to breed, sell, give away and so on. So if you took your friends two, that would be illegal. Just something to think about. She could get into some serious trouble. The docket also refers to other African rodents.

Most vets do not know the state laws, so I would suggest calling your state Fish and Wildlife committee and asking what their stance is on Prairie dogs.

trayi52
04-28-2004, 05:59 PM
Congratulations on the Prarie Dog! We owned some several years ago. It has been so long, I can't even remember what my husband done with them to tell you the truth. I do however, remember what sharp teeth they have! Ouch!

I think they are so adorable, I remember seeing a lot of these guys, when I was just a little girl living in Texas. I was always trying to get my dad to catch one. Of couse he would do it.

We need pictures! :D

carole
04-28-2004, 07:57 PM
How awful that they can take your beloved pet away from you, that really sucks bigtime, surely they should have the decency to leave the ones already pets, and just not allow any more, thats inhumane IMO,, what does a praire dog look like? is it a rodent? I have heard of them , but cannot remember exactly what they look like, we don't have them in NZ.

CathyBogart
04-29-2004, 01:15 AM
:eek: I've never seen a Prairie Dog, can't wait for some piccies!!

BitsyNaceyDog
04-29-2004, 01:11 PM
I need to take some pictures, I haven't yet. Then I will have Justin post them (I can never do it right).

luckies4me
04-29-2004, 01:35 PM
Can't wait to see pics. :) Ooh I can't wait til he gets chubby! What are you feeding him? If he's thin I would offer him some sunflower seeds to put some weight on him.

BitsyNaceyDog
04-30-2004, 01:28 PM
Actually he is quite chubby now. Oxbow has a prairie dog diet that I'm going to feed him (I have to order it today). I found a site that said timothy based rabbit feed would be satisfactory for a little while. I feed my rabbit a timothy based feed from Oxbow, so for a few days he's eating that.

I'll try to get a picture up this weekend.