PDA

View Full Version : Excessive licking

Blustang24
04-27-2004, 08:49 PM
Caeleigh has always been affectionate, but not really so much as to continually lick and clean things that aren't her. Since I've been home tonight...which has only been for about 15 minutes she has tried licking/cleaning Chloe like 6 times. Each time I know she means well, but CHloe doesn't really want her to do it so she tries to get away. Then Caeleigh tries to pin her down and grab her to clean her. Does/has anyone else had this problem or seen this happen? Caeleigh is being pretty gentle, but then is so stubborn and wants to clean her NOW and all Chloe wants to do is be left alone. Could this be jealously shown to me since Caeleigh isn't normally like this? Thanks for your input.

Nomilynn
04-27-2004, 09:05 PM
sounds like Caeleigh is "teaching" Chloe that she's boss :) Cats who do the licking are usually showing dominance. Nutmeg and Tilly do this to each other all the time.. including the pinning down and licking each other's ears :) I think it's ok, as long as they are being gentle :)

catmandu
04-28-2004, 09:04 AM
Sometimes even a Spayed Cat , wil have these maternal feelings, and try to be Chloes mother , to the point of going too far! You mighthave to keep them seperate , but taht might make the problem worse. Catleigh , will grow out , of it , when Chloe grows!

Barbara
04-28-2004, 09:13 AM
Filou and Tigris are like Nutmeg and Tilly: they lick each other to show who is the boss. It starts gently and friendly until the one who gets the ear licked strikes back:D

If you keep Caeleigh away from Chloe it will make things worse and cutie Chloe will soon learn to fight for herself - just as with her real cat mom:D

Tubby & Peanut's Mom
04-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by Nomilynn
sounds like Caeleigh is "teaching" Chloe that she's boss :)

I agree. As long as she's being gentle, I see no problem with it. As Chloe gets bigger she will be able to assert her independence more, and either she will accept that Caeleigh is boss or the fur will fly...oops, I mean there may be a dispute or two until they get the dominance issue resolved. ;) :D

I really don't think it's a problem unless Caeleigh starts hurting Chloe.

Cataholic
04-28-2004, 01:38 PM
Well, well, well..I never knew about the licking being a sign of dominance. I thought it was to show love and contentment, or even submission. What rock have I been living under, eh? :D

Blustang24
04-28-2004, 09:20 PM
Well, I appreciate all of the advice! :) Tonight she's not really doing it at all. I'll just keep an eye on them. I was kind of thinking maybe Caeleigh was taking care of her as a mom to kitten thing. Who knows...they all sounds like good reasoning. Thanks again!