PDA

View Full Version : How Much Flea Medicine???

felinefanatic
04-27-2004, 07:15 PM
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: I was given a great tip to save money onflea medicine. I was told that when I buy "advantage" to buy the bigger tubes fordogs and measure out with a syringe or dropper the approiate amount for my cats. The problem is I dont know how much to measure? I have one large cat and the others are of average weight.I would really appreciate any help on this. My cats are starting to scratch:( :( This tip really saved me some money, also I found a great Pet site called Pet Shed (on line) they have great prices on flea meds and very reasonable shipping!!:D :D

krazyaboutkatz
04-28-2004, 12:18 AM
Hi felinefanatic.:) I have 4 cats that are all over 9lbs and I also buy the large dog advantage for them and then measure it out. Please be sure to put some masking tape on the syringe though because the numbers will wear off over time.

For cats over 9lbs- use .8ml; this is the amount that comes in each tube if you buy the advantage for cats and kittens 8 weeks and older and over 9lbs. If you have any questions you should call your vet or go to your vets and they can mark the syringe for you. You can also use a little less too.

I don't know the amount to use for cats under 9lbs. Another thing that I've learned is to not squirt all of the advantage out in the same spot on your cat. My cats Storm and Sunny are very sensitive and have had hot spots from the advantage.

Now I squirt a little bit out in about 3-4 areas on them. I start at the neck and go to the upper back. Good luck and like I said if you need any further information, please ask your vet. I'd hate to give you any misinformation.

Logan
04-28-2004, 01:24 PM
I'd be too scared to try that!!!! :eek: I'm a nervous mama when it comes to my babies. I never do anything without asking my vet first!!!! :o

felinefanatic
04-28-2004, 04:51 PM
:D :D :D Thank youCrazyaboutCats!! The info you gave me was very helpful I also have 4 Cats. I see you on this Cat site all the time and have noticed that you are quite knowledgable about our feline friends:) :) Thanks again and my kitties, Billy, Catrina, Cecil, and Skootch also thank you!!!

VT_79
05-08-2004, 01:35 PM
I also do this for my cats.I have 11,so it helps tremendously on the cost.

Advantage is the same formula for dogs and cats,you just get more for dogs.LOL.Now the others like Frontline and such is different I think so I wouldn't do it with those.

Oh BTW.It is .4 ml on cats under 9 lbs.

Fallon
05-08-2004, 01:52 PM
I would also be too scared to try that. I am pretty paranoid when it comes to my kitties. You should talk to your vet.

ScoobyDoo-Doo
05-10-2004, 02:27 PM
I am a big advocate for Brewer's yeast. Avoid the kind with garlic since it can cause gas. The Brewer's yeast can be purchase both at petstores or at Health Food stores (in powder form). It works great for their coats and shedding. Continued use is supposed to help with fleas as well. You can't smell it but the fleas do and keep off. Read the instructions and modify as needed. The powder form is easier to put on food. Good luck:D