PDA

View Full Version : heartwork medicine

caseysmom
04-27-2004, 04:38 PM
Does anyone have problems with their dogs vomiting after heartworm medicine? Casey vomited this morning after getting her heartwork medicine last night, I think this happened last month also and I attributed it to table scraps.

tatsxxx11
04-27-2004, 05:24 PM
No, I've never had this problem with my dogs. Does your pup upchuck his/her meal more than occasionally, have a sensitive stomach? Is it the Heartguard chewable formula or the pill? I'd definitely let the vet know. If he/she threw up shortly after having received the dosage, you have to assume he/she has not been covered for that month. Missing two dosages puts your pup at high risk of infection. Definitely let your vet know:)

caseysmom
04-27-2004, 05:37 PM
She threw up about 12 hours later and really it was mostly grass that she ate while I was walking her. She gets the chewable. She has a sensitive stomach for sure I have to get california's natural from a feed store because there are only 4 ingredients. She had no table scraps last night. She had her dinner right before the medicine and kept that down. I will mention it to the vet. Although when I first rescued her he treated her with an antibiotic (I can't remember the name) for a parasite and she got swollen cheeks and violently ill and online I found those all to be classic symptoms of side effects from the meds and he discounted it said he never heard of it.

The other vet in the office is great I'll make sure I deal with her in the future.

tatsxxx11
04-27-2004, 06:33 PM
Is your pup (what's her name???:)) a Shep, Shep x? They have notoriously sensitive stomachs! After 12 hours, she should have absored the medic., so no worries there:) As for the side effects of the other med, those are classic minor side effects to a host of medics, in humans and dogs. I'm glad you have a good vet on hand that you can trust and speak with:) Hugs to your poochie!:)

caseysmom
04-27-2004, 06:44 PM
I am not sure of her breed she looks like an entlebucher mix to me, I will try to maker her pic part of my signature. She is 36 pounds tri color very smooth coat.

tatsxxx11
04-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Looking forward to seeing her pic; she sounds lovely! Now I have to go look up that breed!!! A new one for me:D

caseysmom
04-27-2004, 06:56 PM
Its the smallest of the swiss mountain dogs, she's a bit small I think they start at 46 pounds but she looks quite a bit like one. I have sent a pic to this site for help...I'll work on it tomorrow if that doesn't work out.

tatsxxx11
04-27-2004, 07:26 PM
We have one Swissie mom that will be especially happy to see her! (Me too of course!:))

ramanth
04-28-2004, 12:04 PM
Kia threw up the Sentinel pill only a few minutes after I gave it to her. I called the vet and he told me to give her a new pill. I did and she threw that one up too.

He said the medicine can be too strong for some dogs, so we switched her to Heartgard and she was okay with that.

Kia was real sick after getting the ProHeart6 injection.

She's back on Heartgard now. :)

Did you give the medicine to Casey after he had a meal or was it on an empty stomach? I can't remember if that would make a difference or not. :)

Hope your pooch is feeling better!

caseysmom
04-28-2004, 12:15 PM
She ate her dinner about an hour before I gave her the hearguard...I believe it is heartguard its a chewable...she is fine now....finally almost mastered fetching at the dog park last night.

ramanth
04-28-2004, 01:00 PM
Oh Casey! You're a girl. :o My appologies. Welcome to Pet Talk btw. :)

Yep, Heartgard is a chewable. And I'm happy to hear she's almost mastered fetching! Kia isn't very interested in fetching. :)

caseysmom
04-28-2004, 01:04 PM
No problem...the name casey can be either....I finally attached an avatar with her pic...having trouble with the signature pic though!

Pam
04-30-2004, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by tatsxxx11
We have one Swissie mom that will be especially happy to see her! (Me too of course!:))

I am the 'grandmom' of the Swissie that Sandra mentioned! LOL! I would love to see a larger picture of Casey! She looks precious! My daughter (Mom of Dale, the Swissie) has recently moved and her computer hasn't been set up yet, but I know she will love your girl! ;)

Here's my "granddog, Dale." He weighs about 100 lbs. now and is about 11 months old. :)
http://img27.photobucket.com/albums/v80/Belrip/DSCN4989.jpg

caseysmom
04-30-2004, 01:05 PM
Casey definitely has that swissie look but is obviously mixed with something smaller. I have a bigger pic just can't figure out how to add it to my signature....any hints??? tips....etc...thanks...

Pam
05-01-2004, 06:58 AM
You will have to re-size it for a signature. There are several people here at PT that are excellent at making signatures and I know they would be happy to do it for you. You may send them a PM. KayAnn (Kfmr) did mine and Anna (Dogz) also has done some beautiful ones. I know they would be happy to help you!!

For right now you can attach a picture to you post in one of two ways. You can put it right in the body of your post by doing it exactly as you have in your avatar, with the [ img] and [ /img] surrounding the URL, or you can click on "Browse" and locate it in your computer and upload it from there. I hope one of these will work for you since I would love to see and hear lots more about Casey. :)

Christiansmommy
05-02-2004, 08:12 AM
Hi Caseysmom. I have a sennenhund too! My mom, Pam, has posted some pics of him already. Dale is small for a male Swissie weighing in around 100+pounds. He was the smallest of the litter, and his dad was 140 lbs. Even knowing Dale wasnt going to reach a huge size, we just loved his personality, so we picked him!! He is definaltey a purebred. So maybe your entelbucher is too, just was a small one for the litter. They can be as small as 46 lbs. So yours might just be a small one....and being a female too, they tend to be smaller. Reguardless, she looks adorable!! Anyway, glad to meet you and Casey. I would love to see some more pics of her!

Robyn