PDA

View Full Version : Naive question: Can cats starve themselves?

AmberLee
01-08-2002, 08:58 PM
Hi all,

Yes, I know this question makes me sound as gullable/naive as a trout :o but lots of people have told me that cats are stubborn enough animals to actually starve themselves. This was part of my panic when Sassy died and Cassy was too depressed to eat. Others have said that they don't actually starve themselves, but cut back eating to the point they damage their liver and die that way. Based on other comments on this board, it sounds like these stories are 'old wives tales'. What is your experience? Can cats harm themselves due to not eating?

wayne0214
01-08-2002, 09:09 PM
Amberlee, though it sound unlikely that a cat would stop eating for reasons other than not being well, that your accounts are as you say, probably "old wives tales". In fact, I have noticed that when the weather begins to cool off in October, that my furkids will start to put on weight with lots of eating. And then in the spring, when the weather begins to warm up in April, that they do not eat much. Also, I have noticed that my torbie's and tortie's coats will change color to a darker hue in the winter months, and lighter in the summer.

......wayne

michelene
01-18-2002, 02:46 PM
AmberLee, my Samantha refused to eat anything beginning three days before she died. We tried all kinds of different meat baby food, soft treats, tuna, and different dry food, but she ignored it all. She had been sick for six weeks, and we had taken her to the vet three times to drain fluid from her chest so she could breathe. I think she was ready and determined to cross the rainbow bridge. She didn't want to be stuck any more.