PDA

View Full Version : Are boxers generally good with cats/kittens?

Sirrahsim
04-27-2004, 01:41 AM
Hey everybody, I don't think that I have ever posted over here. I personally am a cat person, but my husband is very much a dog person. This may be kind of premature, because the earliest we can get a puppy is Winter 2006, but I just have to ask:) When we move back to that states, we want to get a puppy and a kitten. My husband has his heart set on a Boxer, but I have heard mixed opinions of whether they are good around cats/kittens/kids. Any opinions from people who have Boxers, or just know about them? Thanks a lot:)

aly
04-27-2004, 02:16 AM
I LOVE Boxers and hope you guys are able to get one!

Since you want a puppy, chances are very high that everything will work out just fine. If any breed is properly socialized and brought up with cats, they generally do fine. There are exceptions, but I wouldn't worry about it since you're getting a little pup!

Karen
04-27-2004, 07:26 AM
The boxers I have known were very sweet with kitties - one was raised by a cat, so that would explain it. Pup came home, tried to play, kitty hissed, showed claws, and that was that! Great great with kids, all but one, and he was an old guy who had never been around children, so was just skittish of them.

It varies dog to dog, of course.

DogLover9501
04-27-2004, 07:53 AM
I love Boxers too;) :p

Well, when I wanted a boxer, I had to find out all these things, as we did have a cat and 2 other dogs. And when I was researching them, I talked to alot of boxer owners, around here and also on boxer forums.

Most of them told me that Boxers are very lovable dogs and that they love everyone and everything. BUT....As puppies they really don't seem to care who/what they are walking on or who/what they are chewing on.

Jasper is not the sweet, loving, gentle boxer everyone described to me, he jumps on the cat, chases him..etc, he also jumps on Wiggles, and he is now 50 pounds so we REALLY try to stop him but it doesn't actually get through.

In my own experience, I would think a grown boxer whos already good with cats would be a good Idea...

DogLover9501
04-27-2004, 07:58 AM
Forgot some other tips!

Boxers are just very HYPER and playful dogs, which is why hes always trying to play with the cat and with Wiggles. They are just too small for him, and he doesn't know the difference.

I would think, if someone would tire a boxer puppy out enough(is harder than it sounds) it might not bug the cats, but then again, you never know:rolleyes:

Anyway I have 4-5 boxer books, and in there it may say something about Boxers and other pets, so I will check there also, my experience may be alot different then most people's, with my luck:rolleyes: :p

Also if you have anymore questions about them, I can answer mostly everything, from all the researching for two years;)

And also, it's not hard to know why your husband would set his heart on a boxer;)

DogLover9501
04-27-2004, 08:09 AM
Sorry, posting again :o

I found something in my book about introducing a boxer puppy to a cat/kitten. I'll type it out...

Introducing a puppy to a cat in the household is also an important part of making sure that harmony reigns.
Boxers are usually very friendly and inquinsitive with other animals, but the vital element for a successful introduction is to allow your cat a clear escape route or a vantage point to jump up on, without allowing your puppy to experience the thrill of the chase.

Generally, a cat that is confident around dogs will quickly establish itself as boss, but introductions should always be done with the puppy restrained, by being held on a lead, with the cat free to escape if neccessary.

Obviously, you must put the cat's food and water up out of the puppy's reach, and also prevent the puppy from ambushing the cat while he is vulnerable on the litter tray:eek:.

Blustang24
04-27-2004, 08:38 AM
I think boxers are wonderful dogs. I have a Lab/Boxer mix, but I'm not quite sure how much boxer....just some stlight features and he does just fine with cats. My aunt's pure boxer likes her cat, but keep them seperated during the day when they aren't home just so that the boxer doesn't get too hyper an playful with the cat. Good luck with everything! :)