PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: Integrating new cats into household

GLynne
08-30-2001, 07:46 PM
I think I know what to do but need expert advice.

Went to a moving sale today. The family cats were "up for adoption" Male and female 3 year old littermates. Very pretty and friendly. Spayed, neutered, de-clawed (ouch) and vaccinated with medical records. Nice kitties. They use the litter box. We took them home after 30 minutes of consideration.

(Does this count as a "rescue"?)

We have an 8 1/2 year old neutered male who is not a loving kitty. He's our kitty though and we love him. He's not overly smart or active and never has been. He likes dogs but has always growled at cats outside.

All will always be indoors.

The new kids are being kept in our TV room. a large 4th bedroom upstairs used for computer and tv. All their things are in here and they seem comfortable. Some hissing. Drinking, eating, using litterbox right away.

There is some hissing and yowling under the door from both sides.

I plan to leave it like this for a month or more until there is... what? Play under the door?

What is the best sign that these guys have sniffed and scratched and howled enough to get to know each other through the door. Do you think they ought to meet one on one or two on one. I am guessing the two sibs together because they are one unit. Whaddaya think?

I speak much better dog than cat. Kitties are enigmatic.

Let me know.

Thanks.

4 feline house
08-31-2001, 01:25 PM
Glynne, in my book you have most definitly rescued these cats.

Your best bet would be for supervised introductions after a day or two. If the friction is really bad, try again in another day or two, gradually increasing the times the cats are all together. Always be there to rescue in case of a really bad fight, but don't be alarmed at a few hisses, growls, and swats. Only step in if the fight is clearly out of control or lopsided.

Forget the screen door, a cat can shred even an aluminum screen in seconds. Besides, they get to know each other by smell - appearance means almost nothing to a cat.

The key is gradual and supervised.

Bless you for taking in these little throwaways.

Kittylady
09-01-2001, 08:52 PM
Any kitty someone takes in that is unwanted is definitely a rescue. There's no telling what might have happened to them. Bless you for caring for the precious ones.

Any time I bring home a new kitty to my babies I put the kitty carrier with the new kitty or kitties in it in a room off the beaten path, like a bedroom and open the door to the carrier. I leave the door to the room open too so the new ones can emerge at their own pace. They will also have a safe haven (the carrier) to escape to in the event they are frightened. Be sure to put food and water and a temporary litter box in the room. The other cats will of course be curious as to what's in the carrier and will at their own pace investigate. There is a lot of hissing and growling, but in a couple of days they all realize they are family and get along just fine.

However, occasionally there will be one cat that will not accept the new ones right away and you will have to intervene to let him know he'll just have to deal with it. A firm "NO" directed at the troublemaker at the time of the confrontation will make him back down. I use a water pistol or squirt bottle with water in it to help out if necessary. Just be sure to pet and love on him to let him know he hasn't been replaced. It usually always works out and they become a family.

Spencerthelion is absolutely right about the Feline Leukemia. I have lost several of my precious cats because I kittysat for a friend whose cat had it and neither of us knew it till all 11 of my babies had been exposed. I only have 3 left.

:)

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kittylady ]

[ September 01, 2001: Message edited by: Kittylady ]