PDA

View Full Version : paws on my cheek

wayne0214
01-06-2002, 06:44 AM
So far there are 3 cats that place their front paw(s) on my cheek whenever I pick them up for some cuddling, especially when I put them on their back while being in my arms. Snow Cat, Jumper, and Fluffy all to this. I take it for a sign of affection. Has anyone else had this experience?

yorkster
01-06-2002, 04:47 PM
yes, my cat Liza (R.bow Bridge) did that- it was so cute :rolleyes:

I have one kitty now (Kedi boo-boo, M.Coon/Himilayen mix) that puts his arms around your neck when you pick him up.

tuxluvr
01-06-2002, 05:06 PM
Ritz will sit up on her hind legs with her paws extended upward when she wants to be picked up. It just melts the heart....she also extends the paw pad in affectionate gesture.

She also does what we call "nosing". We have a lot of floor pillows, and if I am on the floor working on my laptop, she will walk by, extend her nose to mine and move on. We refer to it as "being nosed by the cat" and consider it an honor :)

[ January 07, 2002: Message edited by: tuxluvr ]

Ila
01-06-2002, 05:58 PM
Yes Misty does that. When she wants her dinner she is begging just like a child. When I am laying on the coach she does it in front of me waiting for me to pick her up. I really think they think their little humans with fur. ;)

Fuzzy317
01-06-2002, 09:50 PM
3 of 4 cats were doing "nosing" at times, and I was getting a bit annoyed at this :(, but my fiancee says its a very good sign.

It means I am a person they like, and feel safe with. Now they can "nose" me anytime that want. :)

bugcat12000
01-07-2002, 07:21 PM
My cat Bugsy does that just about everytime I pick him up. I always thought it was because he didn't want me to kiss him, which I do every time. But to think of it, when he's lying next to me, he does that when he knows there's no chance of getting a smooch.

I get nosed all the time. I think head butts on the face are cool too. :D

thelmalu99
01-08-2002, 10:59 AM
That's so sweet. My Rainbow Bridge baby, Charlie, used to like to wake me up in the mornings with a paw on my cheek and his little nose against mine. *sniff*

purrley
01-08-2002, 11:15 AM
This is one of my favorite things about my sweet babies - the prodding paws and the gentle paw kisses - So worth everything we go through as an owner of a precious feline :)

Maresche
01-08-2002, 12:37 PM
My first cat, Misty, does the same thing Ritz does. Sits on her hunches and waves her front paws at me, crying...asking to be picked up. When I do pick her up, she wraps her front paws around my neck and rests her head on my cheek, purring the whole time. Needless to say, this is so endearing she doesn't have to walk much--she gets carried instead :D

When I pick Terra up, she insists on being held like a baby (on her back) and often puts her paws on my mouth. Personally, I just think she's telling me to "shut up and enjoy the moment" :rolleyes:

What would we do without them? :D

NoahsMommy
01-08-2002, 12:53 PM
Noah "paws" me all the time, sometimes just to "pet" me, other times to push a kiss away after the first 50! :D

Noel doesn't do this much, but she really into head butts...

wayne0214
01-08-2002, 07:41 PM
Cookie Cat (my blue/cream tortie) has really opened up during the last 10 days. She sleeps with me practically every night, and sits beside me whenever I'm inside doing something, (usually on this 'puter) and now, today, she has stared doing head-butts. She is becoming a regular little companion in the house. Appearantly, understanding that I desire that she stay in the house, and she does just that, especially when it comes time for their special evening meal. Yet, she will venture outside for a while during the day, especially after being couped-up inside all night and most of the day. She is becoming a real little "doll" of a kittie.

......wayne

AmberLee
01-08-2002, 08:12 PM
At some point during our 'cuddlies' sessions, Livvy will put one paw on my chin and push me away lightly, extending her claws to brush my skin but not dig in. I don't understand this, but it seems to happen when she is pleased and loving: does this match the 'paws on the cheek' mode your cats exhibit?

wayne0214
01-08-2002, 08:34 PM
Amberlee, yes, that is what Snow Cat does. When he gently pushes his paw against my cheel but with no claws extended. I don't believe that it is a sign of rejection or "not so close", but I think it is a token of cat appreciation and affection for me, because it is done very gently. However, I'm beginning to think that the slight pushing is a more complete way for him to feel my cheek with his paw.

..........wayne

AmberLee
01-08-2002, 08:41 PM
Dear Wayne,

Thanks for the confirmation. Neither of the boys exhibited this behavior, and Livvy didn't until relatively recently. It was a little confusing for me because it's so different from human 'body language'. I usually continue whatever scritchy/cuddly I'm doing with her, but slow the movement down. It seems to add something for her when we do this level of bonding. Does this match your experience?

C.C.'s Mom
01-09-2002, 01:18 AM
My female cat Eddy puts her little paw on my nose when I go to sleep and she's sleeping on my chest. It's so sweet and special when I see her pretty face, eyes closed, purring and purring. Simply bliss and happiness for both of us.
Sometimes Rudie does it too, but it's too much affection for him and he gets scared when he notices what he's doing and runs away.

tatsxxx11
01-09-2002, 04:44 PM
Mr. B does the paw tap on my nose all the time; especially when he is sitting or laying on my lap and wants a kiss of hug. Oliver and my lab Star do it to each other! It's so precious. They will be lying with one another and Star, with her BIG paw, SO gently taps Oliver on the nose. Oliver lifts his paw and taps back. Then they usually start cleaning each other ears :)

AmberLee
01-09-2002, 05:06 PM
Dear Sandra,

Aaaahhh! Sweet.

Cynthia
01-09-2002, 05:08 PM
Isn't this all amazing? I never cease to marvel whenever Stump does this. He pats my chin with his paw (kind of a double-click :D) and he seems to do this especially when I'm feeling sad -- somehow he just figures it out. Emmett raises his right paw when he wants to be petted or when he wants to give a headbutt; it's really cute. Emmett also will touch noses which is really endearing; I just say "touch nose" and he'll usually do it. Stump, however, will not.

wayne0214
01-09-2002, 06:58 PM
Amberlee, yes, that is it. If you take time to treat your furkids special, like giving them special little treats, and holding them close to you whenever they want attention, I believe that most cats can be "taught" to accept mutual affection in this manner. Not all felines are of this nature, however. Princess is not overly affectionate in this way, but she does want frequent attention but without all the cuddling. It depends on the nature of each cat. I have some that were totally feral, but now 2 of them allow me to touch them and one allows me to rub her down on the back and tummy. Always remember that a cat gives attention and affection according to their terms, and not ours. What happens is that you will be doing something someday with your mind on something else, and in will pop an emotionally distant kitty. She will begin to rub against you and want some attention, for no appearant reason, as she was not this way until the present! One of my former ferals has the habit of rubbing, in figure "8" patterns, around my ankles in the mornings. I have no other cat that does this. They seem to understand one's emotional attachement to them, and usually they will recriprocate in some fashion.

...........wayne

auggie
01-09-2002, 07:37 PM
At my House Paws on Chin or Cheek means: Back off Mom, no Kisses on the Forehead. Auggie does like Belly Kisses. If I would try that with Phoenix, he would probably rip my Face off.

Fuzzy317
01-10-2002, 04:49 PM
I subscribe to www.dummiesdaily.com (http://www.dummiesdaily.com) which sends me tips and info about a few topics, one is cats, one is dogs. The following came from an email tip I got today:
--------------------------------------------

TODAY'S eTIP(TM): Scratch Out Your Territory

Like urine spraying, scratching is a form of territory marking. The bottoms of a cat's feet are filled not only with tiny capillaries that dilate and perspire (which helps the cat regulate his body temperature), but also with scent glands. When a cat scratches, he leaves a physical reminder to other cats and a scent marker that clearly states this is his area. Often, a cat will touch you with his paws, letting you know that you are his human.

--------------------------------------------

I wonder if this applies in multi-cat households? :)

wayne0214
01-15-2002, 06:52 PM
fuzzy 317, I don't know that scratching in a multi-cat household is used for territory marking, since they all use the same scratching post, that I made for them. However, outside it may be another story. There is plenty of wood outside for them to scratch on, and I havn't noticed that one cat uses any of it to the exclusion of the others.

...................wayne