PDA

View Full Version : Fighting cats

Lore
04-25-2004, 11:08 AM
I have two male neutered cats. They have been together since birth. They're about 8 years old now.

About two years ago when one of them was ill, I took him to the vet. When we came home, the other cat began growling and hissing. I thought it was simply the scent of the vet's office and things would return to normal when we handled both cats and the scent disappeared. Not so. That night there was a huge fight. Ever since, they can not be in the same room unsupervised.

We've visited the vet since but there has been no change between these two brothers. I hate to have to lock one in a room but no one is home during the day. They have claws and have drawn blood. I've often thought about letting them have one good fight and work it out between themselves but it's like "Wild Kingdom" when they go at it and I'm afraid they will seriousely hurt each other when I'm not home.

Lately I've been letting them roam around together when I'm home but it's stressful for them. Funny thing is, at meal time, they are both crowding around my legs. After that, it's back to cautious creeping, growling and chasing.

Will they ever get along again?

PayItForward
04-25-2004, 12:14 PM
First I would take them both to the vets for a checkup just to make sure they are both fit and well.

Some cats pick on cats which are sick or in pain.

I would also buy Rescue Remedy Disfuser it is a plug in device which is meant to calm cats aggressive behaviour.

I would ring a cat behaviourist and get advice on the situation.

Or you could try a re-introduction....Might help.
i.e. Isolating them from each other in two bedrooms for a week or so, so they start to relax and then slowly introduce them like this http://www.piftails.com/main/articles/general/introducingnewcat.html

Lore
04-25-2004, 03:25 PM
Thanks for the advice. I had no idea there was such a thing as a Rescue Remedy Disfuser. They're due for a visit to the vet. I think my not taking both when the one was sick was my mistake in the first place.

ActionCat007
05-05-2004, 09:12 AM
Maybe the cat that was ill is still ill, and that could be why the other cat is picking on him. :confused:

Lore
05-05-2004, 09:18 PM
Actually, it's the one that was ill that is picking on the other. He is an easy-going and cuddle-loving cat but he is the Alpha of the two.

Cecil
05-06-2004, 10:13 AM
Sometimes, they may feel that they don't have enough space to share. Do you have a big place where they can get away from each other enough?

Fallon
05-06-2004, 02:24 PM
i'm not sure what could be wrong, but i hope you work something out.

Lore
05-06-2004, 10:09 PM
My house is not huge but they do have plenty of space to roam and stay away from each other.

I've gotten to the point that, when I'm home, I let them out together. Sometimes they are fine with it, but sometimes they're not. I'm hoping they'll eventually get used to each other again to the point that I don't have to separate them when I'm not home.

The oddest thing, to me at least, is that when it's time to eat and they're both out, they seem to be greeting each other, bumping heads and rubbing. Not always, but often. It gives me hope that they may get back to being "brothers" again.